Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with Identification ("ornamental trees")

Posted by david883 5/6 MI (My Page) on
Tue, May 28, 13 at 20:14

Hi all

First time posting in the tree forum. I moved into this house about a year and a half ago. There are a few trees in the back yard I haven't been able to identify. I really like them but now I'm wondering what to do as far as pruning goes. Two of them are being weighed down heavily (I assume they need pruning to help redistribute some weight). Some pictures to follow. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks all in advance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with Identification ("ornamental trees")

This one is about 6-7ft tall, 6ft wide. The only other way to identify it other than what the picture shows is in the early spring it gets these very tiny flowers... they are a pink/coral and yellow color, very small. They have a similar structure to some columbines or snap dragons. I wish I had snapped a picture while it was still in bloom.

o

Second one is about 4-5ft tall and not very wide.

o

Last one....Now this one was about 5-6 feet tall and about 5 wide on top... but now its just toppling over. Not sure if its the blooms weighing the branches down or if they just need to be pruned.

Thanks again!

o

1. could be Lonicera sp. ie a Shrubby Honeysuckle
2. Spiraea sp. imo
3. Spiraea vanhoutei imo

o

Thank you! Those all look spot on. I just wanted to make sure I follow any special pruning instructions.

Thanks again Flora!

o

for spirea.. google: renovation pruning of flowering shrubs ..

you can keep it any height you want.. by that process ..... but you NEVER give it a haircut ...

you can literally.. cut it to 3 inches from the ground.. right now.. and have a nice proper small plant.. in proper form.. by fall ...

most honeysuckle.. but for ... the NAMED CULTIVARS... are.. frankly.. invasive weeds ...

there is so much you could do with that space.. with a better plant.. if you are interested in gardening ... if so.. get rid of it ...

in other words.. its flower time is extremely short.. and it is a rather none descript plant.. the rest of the year.. and the birds will plant the seed as far as they can fly ....

ken

o

The last one sure looks like a philadelphus to me.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, May 29, 13 at 23:00

Nevertheless definitely a spirea.

None of these are trees.

o

Thanks everyone. Sorry if none of these are true trees as it turns out. I remembered my aunt saying one of those you all identified as a spirea was, from what she thought, a spirea but I couldn't remember which one and was having a hard time matching these up.

Thanks to all for the help on my... shrubs

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here