Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mollyrose84

Small tree for flower bed- suggestions needed!

mollyrose84
10 years ago

We lived in our home for four years and are just now getting around to doing our front beds. The front corner (picture below) is just begging for a tree. I need something low maintenance, that won't get taller than the bottom of our roof line, I'm guessing 15-20 ft. It doesn't need to be flowering or super showy, just something with some sort of visual interest year round. We are on the eastern shore of Md, with mild winter and hot, humid summers. The bed faces west and is shaded for most of the morning. What am I looking for?

Comments (12)

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    10 years ago

My first two thoughts are japanese maple (everyone has one!) or crepe myrtle if it gets enough sun and you are at least zone 6.

I wonder how my new favorite serviceberry would do there.

Welcome to gardenweb btw and oh, you really need some hostas :)

• mollyrose84
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've been browsing the boards and thought of a serviceberry, but it seems like they get quite large and require quite a bit of pruning...but I haven't ruled it out...
    Yes! My beds are pretty bare right now, won't be long and my teeny I'm-on-a-budget plants start to fill in the space. :) I've got spirea and salvia in the front of what will be a knockout hedge....

• blakrab Centex
    10 years ago

I was going to suggest an All-In-One Almond Tree - a beautiful, flowering semi-dwarf nut tree that only grows to about 15' - but I think your state is too cold for it.
    http://www.willisorchards.com/product/All-In-One+Almond+Tree#.UagWmpywXLc

Well, if you plant it away from the house at the outer edge of your flower bed, you MIGHT consider a native pawpaw tree (although it could grow up to 25'). It grows in a pyramidal shape and has delicious fruit!

You might also consider some smaller species of persimmon trees, too?

Here is a link that might be useful: Pawpaw Trees

• mollyrose84
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm really intrigued by the almond tree suggestion, and I'm in zone 7, so it should do ok. Hmmm, decisions, decisions...

• blakrab Centex
    10 years ago

Oh, well if you're Zone 7 then this could be a prime candidate to at least try..
    http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/fruit/msg1018520420693.html

They can take a nice ornamental shape (heavy pruning helps), bloom beautifully in the Spring and then (self-pollinating) bear almonds in September to October...
    http://www.cottagefarmsdirect.com/ViewProduct.aspx?P=2132

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:363523}}

• conon
    10 years ago

kjak jksajf lkjakkd kaj kjaskfk jkajf

fkljfkj kljasfklj

;la;f j

This post was edited by conon on Sun, Jun 2, 13 at 21:28

• mollyrose84
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions! Not sure what happened to conon's post, but I love the paperbark maple idea, maybe not for my beds, but the front yard needs one or two.

• bajafx4
    10 years ago

How large is the area? I feel a more medium sized tree that would sprawl out over the lawn a bit would look really good, but that may need to be pruned away from the house and grow too large... something like a Eastern Redbud or Yoshimo Cherry. Of course the old reliable Japanese Maple has already been mentioned and a Weeping Cherry would be nice too.

• mollyrose84
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm still in the decision faze, checking out everyone's helpful links and suggestions. I've read a few things about a Sargent cherry. Any opinions on that tree? Would it be a good fit for that space?

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    10 years ago

The paperbark would be nice in the front yard away from the house. I would consider a dwarf or intermediate upright growing japanese maple for the garden. Dont feel restricted to the weeping versions that can get real wide.There are lots of dif. cultivars to choose from,where you could pick from colors....red, yellow, green, variegated etc. Also leaf shapes and growth rates. Easy searching......good luck
    Al

• hairmetal4ever
    10 years ago

I'd vote for a Paperbark Maple, American Yellowwood (can get a bit large), or possibly even a Redbud, which has been mentioned.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    10 years ago

I vote for a nice smaller conical holly - maybe Blue Maid, Spartan, Virginia, Castle Spire, or heck, even a Fosters. You'll have nice berries in Winter and a solid green year-round. Will require some pruning to keep compact.

Or maybe a taller camellia for some winter to early Spring color. 'Spring's Promise' is a candidate. These grow slowly, so patience is a virtue. But they won't outgrow your space for a long while.