Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone Know How To Kill Tallow Trees?

Posted by alameda 8 - East Texas (My Page) on
Sun, May 10, 09 at 20:25

I have lots of these pests that I want to erradicate. I had one cut down and had notches cut into the truck and big roots then poured disel all over it. It is growing back. I have tried brush killer and am out of ideas. Anyone know what I can use to kill these nuisances? Thank you!
Judith

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone Know How To Kill Tallow Trees?

I used a cordless drill and Ortho Brush-B-Gone. Drill holes around the trunk at a downward angle, then use a big syringe to inject the full strength herbicide. After about two or three weeks you should be able to see wilting at the top of the tree. It may take the rest of the year for the whole tree to die though.

I'll admit there have been a few really stubborn ones that I had to treat two and three times.

o

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Mon, May 11, 09 at 9:17

Pouring diesel fuel all over the place? What a nightmare!

Applying a broad-spectrum systemic herbicide like glyphosate (Roundup, etc.) or triclopyr amine (Brush-B-Gon, etc.) to the freshly cut cambium should produce excellent results. These products should be applied without adding water (for instance Roundup is commonly sold as an 18% concentrate, which would work great). Herbicide applied to the heartwood (either in holes much deeper than the cambium or applied to the inner surface of the stumps will not help to kill the tree's root system. The chemical mush enter the tree's vascular system to be effective. A single application of these chemicals, done right, is usually enough to completely kill a tree. For really determined stumps, a second treatment to the sprouts (before they get very large) may be needed to finish the job.

o

Glyphosate is pretty much useless on Tallow trees, these trees are like the deep south version of Ailanthus. Triclopyr will be needed here.

o

• Posted by alameda 8 - East Texas (My Page) on
    Mon, May 11, 09 at 13:03

Another post mentioned Remedy, which my feed store has. I will also try the Brush B Gone, full strength. I had never thought of using it full strength. Is it best to cut the tree or saplings down first, then apply the product or spray it on the leaves? I have lots of them to kill, mostly young trees that will need to be felled with a chain saw. It would be easy to follow my helper, who is cutting them, and I will come behind him and spray the stumps. Is this workable? Thanks much!
Judith

o

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Mon, May 11, 09 at 13:43

Judith, sounds good. I don't know about the Brush-B-Gon, but Roundup (glyphosate) is labeled to use full strength as described. I bet Brush-B-Gon is also. I think the Treehugger's glyphosate must have been old. It should work just fine against tallow trees. It certainly takes care of the tree of heaven he mentioned. I believe that Remedy is triclopyr ester and should be similar to Brush-B-Gon. Any of these three types of herbicides should do the job very well if applied immediately and correctly.

o

Thank you, alabamatreehugger. I drilled several 3/4" holes in a straight line around a large Tree of Heaven growing in my back yard, and I used a funnel to pour the Ortho Tough Brush Killer into each hole. After 3 - 4 days I am already seeing wilting in the lower branches. Hopefully in 3 - 4 weeks the tree will be showing serious signs of dying. If this works, I only have three more Tree of Heaven's to go... (sighs). Hopefully, all that will be needed to do next summer is to cut the dead trees down and remove the stumps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here