Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alameda_gw

Anyone Know How To Kill Tallow Trees?

I have lots of these pests that I want to erradicate. I had one cut down and had notches cut into the truck and big roots then poured disel all over it. It is growing back. I have tried brush killer and am out of ideas. Anyone know what I can use to kill these nuisances? Thank you!

Judith

Comments (9)

• alabamatreehugger 8b SW Alabama
    14 years ago

I used a cordless drill and Ortho Brush-B-Gone. Drill holes around the trunk at a downward angle, then use a big syringe to inject the full strength herbicide. After about two or three weeks you should be able to see wilting at the top of the tree. It may take the rest of the year for the whole tree to die though.

I'll admit there have been a few really stubborn ones that I had to treat two and three times.

• alabamatreehugger 8b SW Alabama
    14 years ago

Glyphosate is pretty much useless on Tallow trees, these trees are like the deep south version of Ailanthus. Triclopyr will be needed here.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Another post mentioned Remedy, which my feed store has. I will also try the Brush B Gone, full strength. I had never thought of using it full strength. Is it best to cut the tree or saplings down first, then apply the product or spray it on the leaves? I have lots of them to kill, mostly young trees that will need to be felled with a chain saw. It would be easy to follow my helper, who is cutting them, and I will come behind him and spray the stumps. Is this workable? Thanks much!
    Judith

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    14 years ago

Judith, sounds good. I don't know about the Brush-B-Gon, but Roundup (glyphosate) is labeled to use full strength as described. I bet Brush-B-Gon is also. I think the Treehugger's glyphosate must have been old. It should work just fine against tallow trees. It certainly takes care of the tree of heaven he mentioned. I believe that Remedy is triclopyr ester and should be similar to Brush-B-Gon. Any of these three types of herbicides should do the job very well if applied immediately and correctly.

• samnsarah620_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Thank you, alabamatreehugger. I drilled several 3/4" holes in a straight line around a large Tree of Heaven growing in my back yard, and I used a funnel to pour the Ortho Tough Brush Killer into each hole. After 3 - 4 days I am already seeing wilting in the lower branches. Hopefully in 3 - 4 weeks the tree will be showing serious signs of dying. If this works, I only have three more Tree of Heaven's to go... (sighs). Hopefully, all that will be needed to do next summer is to cut the dead trees down and remove the stumps.

• Joseph Gerland
    8 years ago

I am working to eradicate the Tallow on a High School wooded area (36 acres of recession plot). Just did my first day of actual work 2 days ago. I am using Clearcast Aquatic Herbicide which is Ammonium Salt of Imazamox with Methylated Seed Oil as a surfactant. I'm doing injection method with a machete and a 2 gallon handle-held sprayer. Hard work and time-intensive too. Went by today to check for any results but really didn't see much. Does anybody know how long I should expect it to take before noticeable results take place? Also, for injection, I am girdling the tree and spraying onto the girdle. Is this correct? Is a 2% solution strong enough?

Thanks

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    8 years ago

"Is a 2% solution strong enough?"

if the label says it will work...it will work ;-)

I'm not familiar with this herbicide, when I google it seems to show up as an aquatic only one. Not sure why you used it, but the label approves a technique like the one you used, it will kill them. Is this a wetlands area?

• wisconsitom
    8 years ago

@ above post-I too wondered why an aquatic labelled item was in use here. If your feet are getting wet as you work, then you've got the right formulation. But if this is high and dry, by all means ditch the aquatic version (da bum dum) and go with something with surfactant in it, the absence of surfactant being the difference between aquatic and normal versions of these products. It is the surfactant that really raises hell with aquatic organisms.

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company