Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wxman81

Magnolia Grandiflora 'Edith Bogue' - How to Prune?

wxman81
10 years ago

I had the local garden center order me in a 15 gallon Magnolia Grandiflora 'Edith Bogue' as they normally don't carry them up here. I planted a 2 gallon Magnolia Grandiflora '24 Below' last year that I got via mail order and I protected it lightly this past winter. It sailed through just fine, so that's why I got a larger specimen this year.

Now I want this to take on more of a tree form and eventually be able to walk under it like any other yard tree. What is the best way to prune the tree to begin this transformation? When do I prune?

Here are a couple of pics showing the tree.

Thanks!

{{gwi:363819}}

{{gwi:363820}}

{{gwi:363821}}

Comments (13)

• elizabethsarah
    10 years ago

Where did you order this online? I am looking for one myself!!!

As far as pruning goes, I think that is such a beautiful formation! I would maybe just clip that very skinny twigs growing all the way at the bottom left of the 3rd photo. The 2 big main ones will just get thicker and form something really beautiful..or at least I think!! :) Good luck!!

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

You sure are the risk taker!

Keep in mind that last winter didn't get close to the average low for zone 5b. I believe your low was -4 on the year. I was -8 about 25 miles north of you.

It is a nice plant and wish you luck with it! Definitely looks exotic in that WI lot of yours.

• bengz6westmd
    10 years ago

Just me, but I wouldn't prune that, other than maybe a sucker or crossing branch. My 'Victoria' looks similar.

You prb'ly can cut off a few of the outermost, lowest branches w/o a problem -- but use a light hand. Trying to force a naturally branchy species into your desired image can be damaging to it -- I know.

This post was edited by beng on Thu, May 2, 13 at 9:05

• Dzitmoidonc
    10 years ago

These trees can take on a multistem look when they grow in cold climates. My seedling Magnolia grandiflora started out as 5 stems. As it grew, I cut one stem about every other year. Unfortunately for me, I quit that at 2 stems, so now I have a 2 trunk Magnolia.

Let it grow for a couple of years, then cut the lowest branch. Trust me, the places to prune it will present themselves as the tree grows.

• wxman81
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, I still have crotons and palms in my yard!

So no one can suggest any branches to whack off to get this into tree form?

• greenthumbzdude
    10 years ago

How do people respond to you having all of these hardy tropicals in your yard? I would imagnine that you get stopped quite a bit and asked questions.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

If you wanted a tree shape it would have been a lot better to start with one that had already grown in that direction beforehand. Now you are trying to turn a bush into a tree, the way the whole specimen is more or less equally divided into more than one stem right above the ground makes it pretty unsuitable for developing a single-stem tree with an elevated crown.

The low-forking bush shape might also work out better in your (it sounds like) marginal or beyond climate.

• joeinmo 6b-7a
    10 years ago

I would not cut the lower branches off until the tree gets much thicker. That tree will easily die if you get a cold winter, your better off letting the leaves grow around the main stem(s) for some protection against the elements and cold.. We have 30ft plus Southern Magnolias in my neighborhood and about 70 percent of them grow all the way to the ground and are not trimmed.

• garypaulmir
    7 years ago

I live in West Allis Wi. had an Edith Bogie several years tried grafting in branches that broke off and it died tree was about twelve ft. Would like to try 24 below who ordered for you?

• Logan L Johnson
    7 years ago

Remove the extra branches at the base. Make sure it has only one trunk. Otherwise, I would leave it alone.

• User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

garypaulmir, I hope you succeed with your Magnolia grandiflora dreams in Wi..

What is your gardening zone? Is it under 6? That is really pushing it long term.

In fact, zone 6b is marginal, but doable with hardy cultivars (Edith Bogue and Victoria). 7 seems to be the magic number with increased cultivars excelling most size expectations. I am not familiar with 24 below (I think there is also a cultivar known as 'Poconos'--referring to the Pa. mountain range), but I have never seen these sold locally (here in NJ).

There are many gorgeous deciduous varieties (Yulan, Saucer, Star)..., you might also inquire about M. virginiana which is cold hardier and the flowers are extremely aromatic!

• garypaulmir
    7 years ago

I know when it comes to growing I love to experiment. Have had a southern dogwood in the yard many years but it is rated for my zone 5.