Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poaky1

Number 3 Thread- Most successful try @ Live oak

poaky1
9 years ago

I am starting this new link or thread on Successfully growing Live oak in zone 6. The old one had 80+ posts. I will post pics of spring leafout on my Live oak "late drop" when it happens, probably in a week or 2. Dax and Joe, I answered you in the number 2 thread. Post answers where you want to. I had to start this new thread, because I could'nt post a very big paragraph, and had to post a few short ones. I guess because the subject or thread was over-extended. Well, whatever, It's best to start another thread or whatever it's called.

Comments (138)

• joeinmo 6b-7a
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Poaky,

Yes cover the live oak roots in the winter, but in the summer keep the mulch off them. Once they get big enough, you might not need to cover them in winter either.

I read on several websites that if Texas Live Oaks are planted deep, they will grow slow and might become sickly.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The one from you isn't too deep, I know that. The one from Arizona, is not doing well from winter die back. {{gwi:364073}} This is the Arizona Fusi. It looks like it is under stress. I don't think it will ever be a tree, just a small shrub. I will just continue letting it be there, but will be adding a hardier tree near it, which will outgrow it quickly. I am hoping the Fusi from you does well. I think the LO LD I sent you will do great for you. I will be asking for updates each summer. I am puzzled as to why you had it in a pot. It's your tree now, but will you be planting it once it gets some size to it? I would guess you are, but asking anyway.

• joeinmo 6b-7a
    9 years ago

I'm going to keep it Poaky, but I don't think it's cold hardy enough for even my zone. I'm afraid it will die. I want to keep it in the pot until next spring, then I'm going to plant it along a piece of property I own on Tablerock Lake on the Arkansas / Missouri border. There is an island in the center of an arm of this lake which is a huge lake that I have an excellent and close view of from my property. It's probably a full zone warmer on that island because it's surrounded by water, and the lake never freezes over, way too far south for that. So I think it will be zone 8 on the island and it will survive there, it will be neat to see a green tree on the island all year long. At some point I will build a lake house on the property. Also there are no animals like deer on the island so it will protect the tree from getting eaten.

• joeinmo 6b-7a
    9 years ago

By the way,

been over 100 degrees for about 5 days in a row here".

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think it would be okay in your zone, it took more than a few below 0 F days in my yard to do mine in, but your idea is better anyway. No deer, even warmer area. It will be less stressed. You can expect me to ask for updates in late summer each year. As I mentioned before somewhere on GW, my oaks don't do much the first year, but I am holding out some hope for the Fusi from you. And I am still hoping my LO LD that came back from the lower trunk gets bigger and hardier. I am not going to be on the edge of my seat like the last spring, though. I am going to put the Compton's oak near the LO LD I obsessed over last winter/spring, If the LO LD gets about 4-6 inches in diameter and survives a winter like the last one, I may move the Compton's, but really, that won't be happening.

• joeinmo 6b-7a
    9 years ago

Poaky,

I'm in California and I picked up some northern Cal Coastal Live Oak acorns, gonna give them a shot.

Going to see the Coastal redwoods tomorrow.

• joeinmo 6b-7a
    9 years ago

Poaky,

Your weather still warm, I heard might be some frost in parts of NE PA.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Joe, we are still warm here. You are lucky to see the Redwoods. I would love to see the ferns and mosses that are in the shade of the bohemoth's. Dax sent me some images of Oregon's trees with moss on them. The Monumental trees thing, you may have seen it anyway. Yeah, the Coastal California Live oaks could (possibly) have Virginiana in them, I seem to recall hearing/reading somewhere. The Canyon live need dry conditions. I even Dare to guess that they are Virginiana. We are supposed to go down to 40 F at night, not sure which night though. I am in SW Pa. NE Pa is up by Erie, they get more cold and especially more SNOW than we do. I am about 20 minutes from Wv line, so we aren't as cold. I have no delusions of granduer for my Live oak "late drop". I have a Compton's oak earmarked to be planted nearby for the inevitable death of it. I thought of putting a Q. Alba acorn or 2 to replace it, but the Compton's should be ok, unless I change my mind, before the Compton's come in October in the mail. Well, have fun Joe, take some pictures of the coastal Live oaks, well, I hope you took them, I guess you already saw them. I like Redwoods, but the live oaks are my favorite, of course.

• joeinmo 6b-7a
    9 years ago

Poaky,

I'm back from vacation, brought back lots of seeds and acorns to play with.

We had 3.5 inches of rain today. A record for the date. Mainly 80's for the next 5 days

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, Joe what kind of seeds did you find? Any oaks that are rarely tried in the east? I am not going to ask for any acorns or seeds, unless you have some super Live oak tree acorns that will survive zone 6. I may just not even bug you for them either. Live oaks are not happy in lower than zone 7. If they are, my "late drop" live oak will survive several winters into the future, and I will have to re- transplant my Compton's oak which I will be planting near it next month. Not likely. But anyhow, I am sure you have lots of interesting seeds Joe, but my yard is really getting full. I am getting rid of a shrub so I can move an oak seedling, I am moving it to make room for yet another oak tree. Dax mentioned a Q. Libani that he may possibly get for me. I am not clear on whether I will get one or not. But if he gets an extra one, I will be cramming trees kinda close together, so if he can't get the extra one, my yard will be quite full even without it. But, IF he can get an extra Libani, I will cram it in there somewhere. He will likely get one, but IF there is an extra I may get it. I am however worried my yard will be "too rainy" for a Q. Libani. Well, I THINK his source has limited pure source Libani's if I understood his email correctly, anyway. Well, go on and share your seed info Joe, it will be interesting to hear what you've found.

• joeinmo 6b-7a
    9 years ago

Poaky,

It does sound like you have a full yard, but if you love oaks you can never have too many.

I can't remember all that I have, but will plant from seed in pots and send some pics out for you.

My live oaks are still getting new growth and your Virginiana has a nice new spurt of growth, will take a photo and post soon.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sounds great Joe. I am happy my "late drop" live oak is doing good. Well, it's YOUR "late drop" live oak. It will be fine in your zone 7, it was really hanging in there last horrible winter, until the below 0F days/nights got excessive. Really I still have an oak, or 2, "late drop" in my yard. It came back from the lower trunk, but it is as tall as the original tree was in spring. I am not (as mentioned before) not under the delusion that it has really survived zone 6,unless it is as horrible, or worse than last winter, and comes back spring of 2015. I am really counting on my Compton's oaks that I have ordered, to take over ,if these other oaks croak.

• joeinmo 6b-7a
    9 years ago

Poaky,

Looks like we might have a mild El Niño this year, if so you might get a mild winter where you live, but the far NE like New York might be colder, so you are going to be very close to either area according to the maps, but you can never tell with these long range forecasts.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A friend of mine said that the Farmers almanac said it will be cold and snowy, but I have personally never paid attention to that crap. My Compton's will be here soon and I am planting for the death of the "late drop" LO . I am just going to see for the heck of it, if the "late drop" LO do okay if there are some below 0F this year. But seriously Joe, the LD LO should be fine in zone 7/ 0 F - 10F. They withstood below 0 F for several nights/days before loosing their leaves, I will be shocked if they croak after lows that are above the minus's. I hope that makes sense.

• joeinmo 6b-7a
    9 years ago

Hi Poaky,

So the Compton Oaks are a hybrid of a Live Oak And Overcup?

Is it evergreen? What zones does it grow in.

Where did you order your tree from?

I picked up some acorns from 150 year old Water Oak the other day, if you would like to try some let me know.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Joe, My Compton's which have been in my yard for a few years aren't evergreen, but one was green into December winter 2012-2013, though. I ordered them from Mossy oak natives nursery in Mississippi. They are listed as hardy to zone 5. I just planted a Q. Nigra this summer from Ebay, but thanks for the offer. I have yet to see how evergreen-ish the 4 new ones I just planted are. i thought I ordered 3 but it was 4. They were on backorder since spring. I had to wait til the end of September to know if I would even be getting them, the nursery wasn't sure about the acorn crop being good enough to fill orders. So that's when i posted about anyone near the Williamsburg, Va Compton's oak possibly sending acorns. My previously planted Compton's oaks are possibly going to have acorns on them by 2018 or roundabouts of then. Poaky

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am just going over some posts on here and just thought of the fact that you said you got Q. Nigra acorns from a 150 year old tree. So you KNOW for a FACT that this Q. NIgra meaning Water oak (not Q. Velutina, black oak) is 150 years old? That would be a rare thing, from what I have heard. It was a Water oak, that lived to be 150 yrs old? I am sorry to keep asking the same question a couple different ways, but the Water oak is said to be old and ready to croak at 50 years old, so you see my reason for the badgering/ constant questioning.

• joeinmo 6b-7a
    9 years ago

Poaky,

Yes it's a Water Oak, it was planted around 1870 on the Bentonville, Arkansas town square. It must have good genes it's a huge tree.

click on the link, it's the huge trees with leaves on it

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:364049}}

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah, I am glad I planted one. I think they look alot like Live oaks. I saw a few online, and had to have one. I am not aware how evergreen mine will be in my yard, it is a recent transplant. I would add more, but I have lots of seeds to make room for. Sugar Maple, Hickory, Paw paw and Longleaf Pine "montane". I just added Q. Libani today. Later Joe

• joeinmo 6b-7a
    9 years ago

Poaky,

Growing season coming to a close down here fast, a couple more weeks and it's all over.

Your live oak still growing, although slooower.

Let's see how this winter goes. So far a warmer October than last for me.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah Joe, The one from you is in it's first year in my yard (as you know) so hasn't put on much growth at all yet, I just got some labels I ordered and while it's on my mind, is this live oak a Q. Fusiformis/ Q. Virginiana hybrid? Is it LIKELY a hybrid? Or should I just figure it's a Q. Fusiformis, and label it as such? My "late drop" that came back from the roots is as big as the original tree top that died off over last winter, only it has more than one leader from the roots. I am (of course) going to let the tree overwinter again, just to see what happens, why quit now, right? The tree came back from the roots, if this next winter doesn't kill it back again, it may get a thick enough trunk to gain some ground. I don't need to buy anything, it's still there, so I say see what happens. I do have a Compton's oak planted near it for when it dies. I kinda want it to die so I can give up and know I don't have to move the Compton's, I want it to get it's roots into the soil it will live in long term,( Compton's) but I can't make myself dig it (late drop) up just yet, out of curiousity, and it is tenacious enough that i want to give it a chance to make it. Kinda nutty, but what can I say....

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I forgot to mention, we are supposed to go down to 32 ish overnight tonight. Back up to 50's and 60's Tues and WEd, though. You are likely a ways from that stuff yet, though. Poaky1

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Umm.. Joe, I don't want to be a pain in the arse, but, let me know if the Live oak I got from you is pure Q. Fusiformis, or a possible Q. Fusiformis X Virginiana cross? If you don't know let me know, I'm gonna have to just guess once it gets bigger. It will bug me if I don't know, and (quite honestly) I may bug you for a while, til I get an answer. I kinda want to get my ducks in a row before winter blows it's most bitter winds here. Poaky1

• joeinmo 6b-7a
    9 years ago

Poaky,

I collected both from acorn.

However, I think yours has all small leaves and that's pure Fusiformis.

When you get a chance send me an updated pic so I can refresh my memory.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'll get a pic tomorrow if I remember. I will be putting a name tag on it, that's why i want to know if possible what it is. Poaky1

• Elektron
    9 years ago

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned in any of the recent threads, but I found a source for mail order Quartz Mountain Q. fusiformis. Unfortunately, they are currently sold out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Alligator Alley

• joeinmo 6b-7a
    9 years ago

Hi Poaky,

I have seen that source for Quartz Mtn Live Oak, they have been out for years, I don't think they ever update their website. I have even called them.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I know Joe, I know which one you mean. And Elektron, what Joe said. That website is old like Joe said, IOW. I'll get the pic soon Joe. Thanks for bringing it up though, Elektron.

• Elektron
    9 years ago

That's too bad. I was wanting one as well. I still sent them an email seeing if they will ever be getting any more.

I live in northern Texas. Quartz Mountain is under 200 miles from me. I was thinking about going camping up there sometime soon before winter hits. If I do, I will try to get some acorns if anyone is interested.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Elektron, If you ever go I'll take some acorns, but I will not hold out much hope of getting anywhere with the trees from them. I would be curious if I never tried them, but, I would be shocked if they ever became trees after overwintering. I have had a Live oak survive (very technically) in my zone 6 yard for 4 years, but, it is about 15 inches tall from dieback each winter. So I am not going to get excited of the prospect of the Quartz Mtn Live oak. I am not so sure the one from Joe will be with me next spring as more than a root system and a couple inch twig with a couple living buds on it. I am sowing some hardy oak acorns in the root zone of the current one waiting for it's sure death next spring. But, anyhoo, I finally got pictures of the future dead Live oak which I speak of. I may get a pleasant surprise next spring, but after all the Live oaks I've tried, I'm quite jaded about them now. {{gwi:364074}} {{gwi:364075}} It's the same tree, I took 2 pics, they aren't any different. Those leaves are more rounded in shape than when I got the tree, though. So I guess there was a tiny bit of new growth this year.

• joeinmo 6b-7a
    9 years ago

Elextron,

I will like to have any Quartz Mtn Live Oak acorns you get. I am guessing they will be ready late Nov -Dec. I have 3 (9ft) Quartz Mtn Live Oaks, but would like to get more so I can plant on some acerage I have along Tablerock Lake in Branson, MO (about 3 miles from the Arkansas border)

Poaky, The Quartz Mtn. Live Oak are the most cold tolerant of all live oaks. They have seen short hits of -20 degrees F in Oklahoma. Today the weather in their natural habitat is 16 degrees. I just checked.

Poaky, unlike most oaks that shut down most of their vascular system in the winter, Texas Live oaks still pump water, although at a much slower rate. The bigger the root system, the better the water dispersment in winter, which basically means the roots in the soil bring up warm water to the tree. So every year your live oak survive, the bigger the root network it grows and better warm water circulation in those cold winters. So I think your trees will make it, but with very slow growth, but the longer they live, they faster they will grow to a point. (live oaks are slow - med growers in perfect conditions anyway) In my opinion, it's your cool summers and sun index that makes your live oak grow so slow, not necessarily your 6a zone. These trees are use to lots of cloud free days and 90's and 100 degree temps. I bet you did not have 10 days in the 90's this year. For example, These trees would not grow well in zone 7 New Jersey, because while they don't have super cold -10 shots very often, they also have short summers, cool summers and not nearly the sunny days that a Texas or Oklahoma get. It isn't until you get to Virginia in your area that you have these conditions that work for Live Oak.

So Poaky,.... in conclusion, I think any of your live oaks that survived last years arctic blasts will be ok...so cheer up. As for the Fusiformis I sent you, they are already cold tested from last year, no dieback. You should be fine.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey Joe, Sorry I took so long to reply. I am not so sure about the one you sent me this spring, which is the one in the 2 above pics. I recall you sending them this spring, after the bad weather. So unless you experienced below -10F last winter, they aren't necessarily hardy enough to live here, with no problem. I see now that it was sent in June, and you told me it was a Fusi/ Virginiana hybrid and then a Fusi, so it is one or the other, you grew it from an acorn, so you had no confirmation on which it was anyway, and I'm not complaining anyways. My Live oak that lived after last winter was a "late drop" Live oak from mossy oaks natives nursery. And it came back from the roots, the top died back after several -8 and a -10 F night. The top regrew back to about 3-4 ft this growing season. It could do well this winter or die back again. It had been fine the previous winter (2012-2013), with no dieback. I hope the one you sent this year does great, but you didn't have it out in -10F in Mo, for it to be fool-proof. I think the "late drop" I sent you will do great if you put it in the ground. It should do great in 7a or 6b. Lets hope we both still have our green Live oaks next spring.

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

Poaky, this may have already been discussed, but I wonder if Quercus hemisphaerica would survive and be at least semi-Evergreen for you.

It's not as elegant of a tree as Live Oak, in fact it's a little bit of a trash tree, but it might work.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hairmetal, I have tried just about every oak in existence for it's being like the Q. Virginiana, or Fusiformis. I mean it's growth form more than evergreen foliage. The Q. Hemisphaerica, is too much a trash tree. Try the Q. nigra

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am going to try Q. Nigra. I have a Durand oak that was evergreen the winter before last, and tardily deciduous last winter. It is said to be possibly decended from Live oak, but, I didn't know it would be almost evergreen, and planted it literally the farthest you can get from the house, waaay down over the hill. It's to settled in to move it. The spot I have for a tree is in damp soil, so the Q. Nigra is great for the spot. It is a trash tree sorta, but Joe said he knows of one (pictured above) that is 150 years old, and he got acorns from it. If I can get one it will live at least til I'm dead, barring any unforseen issues, I'm fine. But, really there are many trees being planted that will not live past 50 years, so I will take the risk, I have many long lived trees in my yard, and to me, the Nigra looks like a live oak, not likely to those who see the real thing everyday, though. My Nigra will not be from Joes acorns, though.

• joeinmo 6b-7a
    9 years ago

Poaky,

I think the live oak I gave you is straight Fusi, but there s a small chance it's a hybrid.

Poaky, if you want some water oak tree acorns I collected I will send to you.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Joe but, I've decided to put some Sycamore seeds where I want another tree, the neighbor has one with seedballs on it, and it's a damp area, so I will do that, thanks anyways. Poaky1

• joeinmo 6b-7a
    9 years ago

Ok Poaky,

How's your weather been, it's been in 70's last couple of days but will be colder tomorrow

• joeinmo 6b-7a
    9 years ago

How are your live oaks do so far this winter Poaky ??

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well Joe, it is still early in the winter here for much stress on tender plants. Today was kinda chilly, but, to be honest with you, I went around in a T-shirt while doing some shopping. It wasn't really warm, but it was fine for me walking about 50 feet approximately between stores today, so no problem for plants. I do have a hardy palm in a raised bed up against my (brick) house on the north side. It has a bit of an "off" color to it, likely from a bit of cold temps, but, I don't believe that we've had enough of a cold snap to really test these Live oaks. I have a shelter for the small hardy palm BTW. I can pretty much guess that anything above 0F will be a cake walk for the Live oaks I have. Meaning yours and the couple that came back from the roots after last years brutal winter. So I will likely need a few more weeks to give you an update. Poaky1

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I know it's soon, but, this week-long forecast is not going below the high twenties, so no real worries til at least DEc 21. If anything changes I'll post here. I really THINK that mid Jan and Feb will be the real test. We'll see I guess. Poaky1 PS Tell me if you get a arctic blast BTW.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Today was in the 50's. It would've been nice if not for the rain. I guess it helps the tree roots grow, and if I am guessing right, may help the Live oaks with overwintering by having the extra moisture available. I think I've heard that somewhere, Fusi's may not care though? poaky1

• joeinmo 6b-7a
    9 years ago

hi Poaky,

good to know that has been not too bad for you cold-wise

No super cold blasts here yet - we got down to 9 or 10 one day.

The Fusi you can water a lot if they are well drained, if lots of clay in your soil a lot less. But they are very drought tolerant.

Interested to see how all your live oaks do this winter

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah Joe, I hope that it isn't like last winter, but I did plant a Hybrid of Q. V and Overcup oak near the "late drop" live oak that came up from the roots after last years Real, we'll say WITCH of a winter. I don't want to move it in case the "late drop" dies, but, I want that Hybrid (Compton's oak) to establish there if the "late drop" will not make it in the long run. The "late drop" has several trunks now, but, I don't want to make just one, in case a couple die back this winter, I want the tree to have "options" in a bad situation, I know sounds dumb, but, you know what I mean. If the "late drop" does well this winter, I will still keep the "Compton's oak" where it is. I think the Live Oak "L.D." would possibly croak, at least the top again. But it may increase in hardiness instead, not likely but possible. If the top dies back again, I am done hoping. I know unless it puts out some vigorous growth, the Compton's will overgrow it, and shade it quickly. As far as the L.O. from you Joe, it looks nice and green still. I have stuck a Sycamore seed ball near it, in case it gets frozen to oblivion. I hope that it gets a chance to grow some, and does well this year, though. If so, the Sycamore babies will die easy from some roundup or whatever. I chose Sycamore cause if I can't have Live oak the Sycamore colors will match the tan and brown brick of the house, love the bark also. I am hoping the live oak does well mostly though. The house is about 35 ft from the Live oak, providing some extra warmth, even if it's a few degrees. WE had about 38 F today, but the last 4-5 days, it's been 20's and 30's. Today would have been warmish, if not for the wind. Okay for now. Poaky1

• joeinmo 6b-7a
    9 years ago

Poaky,

i'm confident the little Fusi will do well, every year in the ground it will just have more roots to pump in warm water from the earth to keep it from freezing.

Remember Live Oaks do not like to compete when young, so you might have rid yourself of the Sycamore before long or it may be a detriment to the little Fusi trying to make it in a hostile environment.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Joe, so far the Fusi from you looks great, but, we've been having a generally warm winter so far, 50's and yesterday 65F. Today is warmish, I didn't check the temp, but it was thin jacket weather for me. I think that mid Jan then Feb and March will be the real test for the Fusi. The Sycamore seedballs can be moved easlily I think, as long as I move em quick, like tomorrow. poaky1

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Not much has changed, just that we'll be getting some teens at night this week, some 20's in the AM/ early noon. I think next time I update I'll make it number 4 thread, this one is getting too long. Poaky1

• Elektron
    9 years ago

I think the Fusi's should prove to be cold tolerant enough once established. The trouble would be making sure they make it through their first several years.

For some perspective, it's currently 12 degrees at Quartz Mountain in OK with light snow and a -5 degree windchill. It's not supposed to be above freezing until Friday and will still be experiencing hard freezes after that.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, Elektron, the problem with that is that I don't think mine from JoeinMoe is a quartz mountain Live oak. I recall above he said it was a Fusi, but not the QM one. I believe we had teens a night or so ago, and the tree is fine, but I haven't been diligent on checking temps here. I need to get my Indoor/outdoor Temp machine with new batteries and then I could get the real temp here. I have this tree from Joe close to the house, and I have a Live oak "late drop" in the back yard, which I planted spring 2012, that died back last (horrible) winter, but came back from the roots, it did fine winter 2012-2013, no dieback. But I am not putting much hope in the "late drop" LO longterm, but the one Joe and I are talking about most of this post toward the end is the Fusi he sent me this spring/summer, because it's winter hardiness is a mystery because it is going into it's very first winter here in my yard. The "Late drop" LO, would have come back unscathed, if not for those last couple weeks of tortuous bitter cold. A couple peeps with lots of tree knowledge had faith that it would come back. It had broken bud even, it was just a little bit too much for it to recover, it was very close to making it. I left this "Late drop" right where it was, to see about this winter and so on and so on.... I do have a replacement planted near it in case it croaks. If it does make it, I will have to chose one main trunk/leader, but, I left the 4-5 leaders on in case one dies back. I am going to start a new thread on this subject now, so we don't have to scroll down umpteen posts, okay? Poaky1

• joeinmo 6b-7a
    9 years ago

Elektron and Poaky, the Quartz Mtn Live Oaks are the most hardy of all live Oaks and they are Fusiformis as well. The QM Fusiformis are from a split population of Live Oaks that once stretched into Texas.

The Fusiformis that Poaky has that I grew from acorns came from about 1-2 miles from the Oklahoma border so it is also very cold tolerant.

I think it will do fine, Poaky this first year if you get below 5 degrees you might want to place a black plastic garbage bin over the little guy for those cold hits.

This will protect it, get it to next year and help it become stronger - put heavy rock on garbage bucket so it won't blow away.