Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Number 3 Thread- Most successful try @ Live oak

Posted by poaky1 6 Pa (My Page) on
Thu, May 1, 14 at 21:02

I am starting this new link or thread on Successfully growing Live oak in zone 6. The old one had 80+ posts. I will post pics of spring leafout on my Live oak "late drop" when it happens, probably in a week or 2. Dax and Joe, I answered you in the number 2 thread. Post answers where you want to. I had to start this new thread, because I could'nt post a very big paragraph, and had to post a few short ones. I guess because the subject or thread was over-extended. Well, whatever, It's best to start another thread or whatever it's called.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Number 3 Thread- Most successful try @ Live oak

Ok, I'm in for part 3

o

Leaf out yet Poaky,

We already been in the 90's several days in a row. My leaf out started a few days ago - winter very rough on the live oaks.

o

Not yet Joe. I am sure that my 3 Live oaks from spring 2012 are going to leaf out, the buds are very noticeable, pink in color, very tiny compared to most of my leafing out noticeably oaks, but big enough for me to know those 3 are going to leaf out. I am glad they are holding back, last year they replaced frost damaged leaves, because they got hit by frost, after leafing out in early May, before the last frost, which was a few days after the usual deadline for frost. I replaced my Live oaks which I planted last fall. I bought 6 "late drops" and planted 5 in my yard. I will plant 1 in my friends yard which is likely zone 5b or 5. She is near the mountains. She is not at high altitude, but gets lots of cold wind that blows down off the mountain. She is likely 1 mile or 2 from the Jumonsville camp grounds, she gets brutal winds sweeping down. I am going to get rid of my Q. Fusi from "Oaks of the wild west". I see no buds yet. I had planted it in late winter of 2011, if I remember right. If it leafs out I'll be surprised. It is still possible. It hasn't made much growth in the 3 or 3 1/2 years it has been there. I hate to kill off a tree, but it isn't likely to give me results, being the tree I thought it would be. I could try to move it in an area where I could accomidate a small shrub-like tree, but the roots are likely extensive after 3 to 31/2 yrs in ground. My yard gets lots of rain. It may get some drought in the future, but for now, it is pretty much rain a couple days a week, maybe in summer once a week. The tree isn't going to be happy here. My "late drops" have put out 2 ft a year or round-abouts, so the Q. Fusi may be better removed. I kinda feel bad removing it though. I feel stupid posting this a bit... but..... I could try and send it to someone .... if I can dig up most of the roots. I guess it is less hassle to just pitch it in the compost heap. I will wait a few days before I pitch it, in case there are any takers

o

Poaky,

Brutal winter for sure, I'm sure the Fusi will leaf out when your temps get up there. Even my trees, although leafing out, did experience die off on some of the newest shoots that didn't harden off before winter. It won't be before the end of may that I know the full extent of damage. I do have a few Fusi from north Texas that stayed green outside all year that I planted from Acorns, so I'm encouraged by that.

o

The Acorns I planted and sent to ( Ithink?) you Joe and hairmetal, are not showing up tops, yet. Hair said his rotted, so that was a big flop for all 3 of us, if I named the right peeps who I sent the seeds to. I checked all my "late drop" L.O. And those same 3 from winter 2012-2013 are alive. The others I replaced. I already mentioned that, I know, the new ones I ordered and planted are in leaf already from the nursery. We are not supposed to get a frost. The weather report went up to May 13. Unless it changes. We usually get a last one around Mothers day or a few days after. I would say a week at the longest before the older L.O. "late drop" leaf out.

o

Poaky,

Definately have damage on one of my trees, it is leafing out but I'm sure there will be some dead areas and it maybe be all of June until it recuperates.

The other older tree should be fine.

Any leaf out Yet?

o

Joe, I am impatiently waiting for leafout. There are red buds, when the sun shone/shined on a couple buds, I could see slight bird-beaking. My term for leaves about to be more visible. I am starting to think, I am seeing what I want to see, and maybe they are dead. Which made me look at the dead ones, and compare again. There are definite pink buds, unless I have gone crazy from looking at them over and over. I have faith in them still. We are getting rain very often, which is great for the live oaks with coast live oak genetics. I am sorry to hear about your's having damage on them. They should be fine after some pruning, right? I will give mine a week or 2, and if by the last week of May there is no large budswell, or leaf-out, I'll have to face facts, at that point. When I look at them, I just know they are still alive. The buds at top are pink and about as big as 4 pencil lead points smashed together big. There is a spider who keeps setting up camp/webs a few inches down from the top. I thought he was sucking juices from the tree, but there are flies in the web so I guess that's not going to harm the tree. It's starting to be aggravating, but I guess they wasted more energy last year by leafing out, and having to put out new leaves from the frost. Maybe the tree is trying to avoid that situation this year. Yes, that sounds nuts, the tree remembers last spring, and says, I am going to hold back a couple weeks. I will go for now, but I still have faith. And yours should recover. You can update me on your's if I don't have news of leafout for a couple days. The yard in zone 5 or 5b, in other words, my friends yard, I am not sure if I can still plant her a "late drop" L.O. We had a spat. We haven't ever been mad at each other long, since 7 th grade, but she married a real piece of work and I am not sure about that situation, because he is ALWAYS right. The tree was never a point of contention, it is more personal. Let's hope it blows over for my sake and the sake of seeing if the "late drop" can grow in her yard, which is zone 5 or 5b.

o

Poaky,

Sorry to hear about your friend, I'm sure it will all be fine.

As far as Live Oak...ugh. I will tell you mine leafed out later than than last year. Anything that wasn't hardened off by temps hitting the teens I think were damaged. Everything that was, is fine.

I did notice this, my trees held their leaves all year, where the leaves pull off easily or already fallen I have leaf out, in the places where they hold on firm...no leaf out.

o

Well, I am happy to say that the older 3 "late drop" L.O. have enough sticking out and bird-beaking going on for me to say 100% sure they will be leafing out within a few days or the most a week. The pink is sticking out about 2 or 3 millimeters (buds) so I should have pictures a week from now or sooner. The tops on them seem undamaged, but I won't count my chicks yet. My 3 older trees held tan leaves on most of their buds until about 3 or 4 days ago. Before my last post on May 12, they lost their leaves and started the bird-beaking, in other words pushing out new leaves. Your L.O. are small enough to prune off dead tops, right? You know, start another leader. I expected to have to do that with mine. My Fusi likely has top damage, but it will be going bye bye. I wish I could give it away, even if I need to wait til fall. I will post about it on here, most may think I'm nuts, but that ship has sailed I'm sure. I'll post Joe, once the leaves start, post pics of your's if you have time.

o

I forgot to mention, my fall 2013 planted "late drop" L.O. had bunny damage on one, the other 3 looked dead. No leaves, not brown or green. One appeared to be okay, but I made a judgement call. After snapping off a couple twigs, and seeing brown, I decided to order new trees, of the "late drops'. If they die after next winter, I will have to realize that it is too wet or cold in that area of my yard. There is one that is in a well drained area, but about 25 ft away it is a bit more soggy, I have a Nuttal's oak there, which is happy there. Not sure on the distance, I'm guessing. But a coast Live oak would be okay with that right? I think it may have genetics of coast live oak, because we got tons of rain last year and the three older ones grew 2 ft + last season. I know I sound like a nut-burger, I will just see how my newly planted 4 "late drops" do from this spring planting. If I don't make up with my friend in a couple weeks, I will find a new home for the extra "late drop" L.O. If that doesn't happen in 2 weeks from now, joe you get first dibs, if you are interested. If you have a sunny well drained area. It is in leaf, but potted. I can water it, put it in a bag and send it . If my friend and I make up, I'll give her a Chestnut oak, I get TONS of acorns every year. It is fully hardy, especially good, since she is at the foot of the mountains, here. She isn't going to appreciate a live oak anyway. She hardly ever looks in her yard at what she has now. A good deciduous oak is good enough for her, and will surely survive, she needs some shade, she likes Rhodedendrons, but has no shade trees, except for some short lived ones. She has 2 Willows, one regular Weeping willow, and 1 Contorted Willow. Unfortunately the Chestnut oak is all I have that makes seed in my yard, but it is one of the most beautiful deciduous trees I have, bearing in mind my Quercus Alba are only about 8-10 ft tall, planted in 2009. The Chestnut oak were planted in 2009 for one and 2010 for another. They are quite large, I have several shade plants that are happily living under my 2009 planted Chestnut oak. I had a couple drinks, so I am kinda passionate. But still cognative. But if she doesn't contact me in a couple weeks, and you want to try the "late drop" just for $4.00 towards shipping, only for Joe, let me know, I will bag the roots and pot and email me your address. I will wait to hear if you are interested. Dax and hairmetal have recieved seeds, from me and can let you know that I am not an axe murderer or won't cheat you, I have exchanged with them before.

o

Poaky,

yep I'll try it if you two don't make up, don't forget I will be sending you one of my Texas Live Oaks, probably Monday of next week.

Sorry to hear that your live oaks got hit so hard this year

o

Bad winter this year Poaky, normally my live oak stay green year round.

Here is my leaf out.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

o

Good to see that they have put out new leaves, even if you need to prune them a bit for good form, from top die-back. One of my 3 from Spring 2012, looks like the top has damage. I see good buds underneath, or it looks as though that is what it is. The other 2, I am patiently awaiting leaf-out. I had to do some weeding today, and looked at them, and I swear they are going to leaf out, but they are taking for freakin ever. There was a frost advisory last night, but we never got one, thank goodness, I planted Tomatoes and peppers already. I hope that they grow okay (live oaks) after late leaf-out. We have gone from 90's, high 80's for a week and a half (my indoor outdoor thermometer read it) to 40, 50's now. I hope the season isn't too short, IOW. I will likely be sending you the L.O. "late drop". Even if I make up with my friend, she is a workaholic, and it will be a while. Send me your address. I had forgotten about the tree you are going to send me. I got mixed up, Dax offered me a tree and the graft didn't take, so I kinda mixed it up a bit. I am assuming you got my address already from another post. The "late drop" stayed evergreen last winter,(2012-2013) until late winter, so the one I send you should be good for you. You likely had less brutal - 0 than I had this year. I had 8 -10 nights of -10F. I will wait for your email for your address. And will give mine if you don't have it a;lready.

This post was edited by poaky1 on Thu, May 29, 14 at 22:36

o

My Beech (american Beech) is late leafing out also. i posted a thread on it already, but I see it is also late in leafout. No need to reply on that, unless you want.

o

I will send you the "late drop" this coming Monday. I have extra "late drops" in wet areas, if my friend and I make up. They may not do well in these wet areas anyway. There are 2 that are not going to like their planting site if we continue to get all the rain we have been getting. Usually we don't always get all the rain we have in the last few (at least) years. Joe I am still waiting for leafout. It is looking like it will be up to a week before there are leaves on the "late drop" L.O. They are going to leaf out, but it will be a while. I know same thing I have said before, but all I can do is wait.

o

I think the bird beaking was the small bit of dead leaf left on the trees. I still see red buds on the trees, so I am hopeful, still. I may still get leafout, but I am less sure than before. It is late May and I am getting worried already. I have read 2 weeks after dropping dead leaves,is ok time limit and it is getting close, or has reached that time frame. My Fusi waited til almost June the first spring after it's first winter. These "late drops" leafed out early their first spring, though. I keep thinking they will leaf out by looking at the buds. I'll just keep waiting. I will give it another week or so. I'll give up if it doesn't leafout in June, maybe after June 7. I still have hope. Same goes for my other 2 in their second year.

o

Tomorrow, I am going to try to take a pic at the buds on my largest "late drop" I will need to focus in close. Then give me your honest opinion. The buds are not swollen much, but I swear they are showing some life about to happen, if that wording makes sense. You know what I mean.

o

Paoky,

You are going to be jealous, I got a tip on some Quercus Fusiformis Quartz Mountain live oaks for sale in Oklahoma, so I took a drive and yes they were, I purchased 3 ten ft trees - these are hardy to zone 6a.

I'm thinking that your live oaks may not make it, send me the pic. Unfortunately I think you will have to decide if you are willing to go with a slow growing Quercus Fusiformis (if you truly have one) that will beat the cold, or a fast growing hybrid that may die during brutal winters every 10 years.

I still have a little hope you will get leaf out in June, so give it a couple more weeks.

o

I have taken pictures today between rain downpours. The largest of my "late drops" is definitely going to leaf out. I didn't get a chance to take the pics when I said I would, sorry. My brother will help me upload the pics (I took about 4) I am not good with the computer other than the super easy stuff. As far as the Fusi I have, it was sold to me as Q. Fusiformis from oaks of the wild west in Arizona. I was getting doubtful in the last couple posts. I know for sure the bigger late drop WILL DEFINITELY be leafing out. I took close ups of the buds on top of the tree. Once it leafs out all over, I will take a pic of the whole tree. I was getting sad that they died. But I know the biggest one is alive. I will post the pics ASAP hopefully in 2 or 3 hours from now.

o

I haven't sent the "late drop" baby yet. My friend and I made up, but her hubby doesn't want more trees. I will send it next Monday.

o

The 1st pic is blurry. Backyard Backyard I think pic #2 here will be clearer. This is the largest the buds have been this spring. I am glad I could'nt take pics the other day, the buds are really big now. This is only on the biggest "late drop" I have. The same age as the other 2 from spring 2012 planting, but is much more vigorous. I'll keep checking those other 2 but I am happy to have this one, the others are a bonus. When I get leafout all over I'll take a pic. I am glad I don't have to be jealous Joe. If mine croaked I would be jealous of you though.

o

Poaky,

That's great that one made it, I'm really glad. I was going to send you out a live oak yesterday then realized it was Memorial Day and everything was closed. I'm off tomorrow, so I will be sending FedEx Home Delivery, should get to you by Friday and they deliver Sat too.

o

Another one in the dog yard is likely going to leaf out soon also, the buds are very tiny, but I am pretty sure that it should eventually leaf out. The 3rd and last of the 2012-2013 spring "late drop" live oaks is keeping me guessing still. There is hope still, I haven't stared at it for a couple days. We are getting a new fence put up, and there were workers out there, so it will be a day or 2 before I scrutinize that last one. My Q. Fusi is going to leaf out, but it is going to be a while. The buds are intact, but half the size of the "late drop" L.O 's buds, and the "late drop" buds are really small. Ignore the last email I sent, I looked at the time of the last post on here, before looking for a reply, I thought it was when I made my last post. I have the box for the "late drop" I will send, now I just need to pack and take to the Post office to send out, June 2 is my goal to send out. If you click on my pics, you can see my whole photobucket library, I have no really personal pics on there, just trees. My Q. Fusi is on there. Q Fusiformis photo DSC00138.jpg and last summers growth here: Q. Fusiformis at3 yrs in-ground fall 2013 photo DSC00329_zps678beaf9.jpg I see it has grown about 6 inches a year, approximately. It died down to the ground when first planted, resulting in the size in the first pic. It now has sprouts in the soil this spring, I hate that. That is usually what Fusi's do though, right? It was planted winter of 2010, died down and spring 2011 was the result in pic one in this post here. So yeah, 3 years is it's life in my yard. I don't want a shrub, which is what it will likely be for me. I am not sure what to do with it. I added a "late drop" near it last week in case I cull it. I wish I had planted it where it's small size (until many years in the future) would be okay. But it is currently the size in the last pic, but leafless, and fresh ground sprouts. Maybe I can try to move next late fall/winter where it can be a shrub for years.

o

I sent a pic to the Mossy oak natives nursery, showing them the "late drop" in the pics I posted above, with the cheesecloth in the background. They haven't answered back yet. Either they have lots of emails/orders to deal with, or think I am nuts. Live oaks in Pa are not what you think of, when you think of where Live oaks can grow. There is likely not going to be a worse winter than the last one was, though. I am not thinking they may change the listed hardiness zone listed on their mail order site, simply because most folks would think they were dead after a winter like this one and the trees only having swollen buds so far in extreme late May. But bear in mind that last winter, they leafed out in late April, after a normal winter locally. Sorry if I can't shut up about this, but this is like a dream come true for me, I love these trees, and thought that I would have to travel to at the closest Virginia, to see them. Although, mine will be only babes when I croak, unless I am extremely lucky. Well, even if I am lucky, they won't be near their potential.

o

Great! I'm glad they all came back.

As far as your Fusi, transplant now, don't wait for fall. The root system should be okay and put it somewhere where it can be a bush, but eventually it will be a tree too. I would keep it away from soggy soil.

But great!

o

I sent an email about the tree you sent, but I think you just answered my question. It is a Fusi. I read the above posts again, and you already said it's a Fusi. I see that one of the 3 "late drops" is coming up from the roots, the top is confusing, I think I see good buds, not everywhere they should be, but here and there. Well, whatever, has the Fusi you sent seen winter temps in your zone 6b-7a ? It is likely a baby, right? I can likely put it 35 ft from the utilities. We have one line of wires on a telephone pole. The tree needs to be up vs. low in the yard, so I think it would be good in a place 35 ft approx from these wires. Making 70 ft canopy allowance. The "late drop" I am sending is right from the nursery in Mississippi, where all mine came from, so no zone 6 winter for it. I am not sure on where the seed came from for sure, but I am guessing near Mississippi. The web site words it like they are near the nursery, or in woods that the nursery regularly pick acorns from. I had thought the seed was from Texas, but i am not sure now. Well, it will be fine for your zone for sure, after surviving my last winter, despite this painfully slow recovery. Still waiting on leafout. It is going to happen on 2 older ones for sure, the one further from the house, 40-50 ft out is suckering. Is it okay to try and let this sucker form into a tree if the top is dead? It has roots pretty good in the ground, I think that may help the sucker sprout up pretty good, it is a late drop, I'm refering to. I will try to plant out the New Fusi tommorrow. It is supposed to rain or storm. Today was 80 + F, so I didn't plant it yet. I will mail your "late drop" tommorrow. BTW, are all your Live oaks Fusi? Sorry if you already said this in a post to me already. I wondered because if they are, the "late drop" should grow even faster for you, I am guessing that, of course. My Fusi has good, however VERY TINY buds yet to open. It has about 6 suckers coming up. It will never get any size to it in my lifetime. I will likely remove it. Just wondering Joe, what kind of soil is the new Fusi used to? Just potting soil? You mentioned having late recovery for one (or more) of yours, if I'm not mistaken. You said it took til June or something like that. Can you elaborate on the details?

o

Poaky,

I think your tree is a hybrid Texas Fusiformis / Virginiana. I grew it from acorn, it did see cold temps in the teens and singles, but I did bring in during our 1 cold blast because I was afraid the roots would freeze. It stayed green all year.

The soil is not potting soil, it's Miracle Grow for Cactus/Palm trees mixed with regular potting soil, it's fast draining. But don't worry just plant it in that good Pennsylvania soil, it will be fine, as long as it does not collect water where you put it.

I would let your plants sucker, they will probably grow extremely fast with all the root system that has developed.

I have 4 types of trees, 2 from Texas and 2 from Oklahoma.

I have straight Fusi from extreme northern Texas, a few miles from Oklahoma border. I grew those from acorn. I have hybrid for the Dallas area and Temple Texas area and northern Texas area by Oklahoma as well that I grew from acorn. I believe yours is hybrid from extreme northern Texas.

I have 3 trees that I Purchased from Home Depot in Tulsa, about 1.5 hours away from me. Those trees said Virginiana on it, but were grown in Oklahoma according to growers tag. The one in the ground the longest over 3 years had no problem, the other one was late leaf out last year because we had record late frost. The remaining one also leaf out no problem, except it got sun scalded and split open on the lower trunk and is mainly dead except for a huge sucker that is now almost as large as tree, so will be cutting down and transplanting on some misc. friends property in Branson, MO.

I recently purchased some rare 10ft Oklahoma Quartz Mountain Fusiformis that stayed green all year even to below zero in pots in Oklahoma nursery 1 is going to replace that Home Depot tree that was sun scaled and split open, and the other two are already planted on my property around my house.

o

You are lucky to get a 10 ft Live oak. The largest I ever had was a Virginiana about 6 ft tall, with a inch thick trunk at low trunk level. I got it in Floroda (Tampa) Home depot. It was my first Live oak. It died the first winter. Then the Arizona Fusi or the Williamsburg, Virginia sourced Virginiana, 2 of them the Williamsburg Live oaks died, the Fusi (Arizona) is existing here as a tiny shrub. I am better off with the small whips of L.O.'s, they are the only one's that have impressed me. As soon as the older "late drop" leaf out, I'll be happy. They are going to, but they are slow about it. I have looked at them again today and the bud tips are starting to open, sure as sh*t, it is going to happen, it's just taking a long time. I hope the trees get enough time to store up energy over the summer, because of this slow leafout. I sent the "late drop" today. Yesterday, the box I planned on using wasn't big enough. They assured me that Friday was likely when you would get it.

o

I will let the one "late drop" sucker because there is only one sucker coming up, so can be more like a tree than the Arizona Fusi. I am posting on here more than emailing you so that I can clear out my email, and still access the subject of Live oaks on here. I will try to post pics when leaves are visible, even small ones. It may be a while, I am hoping a week at the longest, but, feel free to update, and let me know how the "late drop" looks on arrival. They were told to mark Fragile and Friday was the delivery date, at the latest Saturday, but Friday was likely.

o

To update here: Out of my 3 "late drop" one has come up from the roots, and is about 6-7 inches nice green growth. Another is still "going to bud and leaf out". The 3RD; Is Unknown.

o

Yes, Joe in Mo, the previous posts, are not very nice. But, if you have something educational or interesting about these oak trees that you want to share, that would be great.

o

Not sure about that last post Joe. I had a couple drinks. I am sorry for the confusion. I am puzzled as well.

o

a couple drinks will do that :) I went out last night I know :)

o

I would assume The fact that my larger and favorite Late drop L.O. isn't leafed out yet, brought out some jealousy. I do have some pictures and an observation that gives me more hope yhet again for the biggest and favorite of the "late drop". I am not sure how well the details will show in these pics, but here goes. Latye dr L.O. 2014 spr. green showing photo DSC00379_zpsaa38b032.jpg  photo DSC00359_zps8d00feab.jpg These pics suck. The tree looks dead in these pics. In the first there is green on the trunk, but you can't tell. You have to look really long and intensely. If I didn't see that green I would still be confused because there are pink/red tiny buds at the end of some top branches. Okay, moving on, Here is my "late drop" L.O. that came up from the roots, I need to find my pruners to get the top off of it. Late drop L.O. spr/ 2014 photo DSC00378_zps8f940847.jpg Kinda hard to see. Now, the one you sent me L.O. from Joe in Mo spr 2014 photo DSC00380_zps42505f2f.jpg I replaced one of my "late drop" L.O with it. Now my old Fusi from Arizona 2010 Texas LO Fusi in 2014 spr. photo DSC00361_zps481bdc95.jpg It has many trunks.

o

Me again, The green is on the trunk right where the twig my thumb is holding back. You can barely see it. I just wonder if it leafs out in mid June or later, is it going to make enough food for it to do well otherwise? The one that came back from the roots may be better off. I took a magnifying glass and scrutinized this tree and that's how I found the green patch, I was going to give up on it. I put the one you sent me Joe in a place where it can grow slow, but I hope it can be protected a little being near the house and an evergreen. We'll see how that goes anyway.  photo DSC00358_zps50b78dc9.jpg There's another pic but you can't see much. The buds are not visible. The green is a Clematis vine in the background. I will wait a few days and look again. Post some pics of yours when you can.

o

Late drop L.O. spr/ 2014 photo DSC00378_zps8f940847.jpgMe again the pic I mentioned where my thumb is by the green.....Late drop L.O. spr/ 2014 photo DSC00378_zps8f940847.jpg These are the wrong pictures, these are the pictures of the luive oak rthat came back from the roots. Latye dr L.O. 2014 spr. green showing photo DSC00379_zpsaa38b032.jpg

o

It is hard to see, but there is green underbark where my thumb moves the twig down a little. I am happy that this tree has shown life. I am hoping it leafs out soon.

o

Poaky,

hmmmmm....I'm not sure now, very late for leaf out, I think it may be dead.

o

I posted these on another thread but here I will put one up again. I know the time for leafout was weeks ago. But I am still not convinced it won't leafout. I'll just post the pics, these were taken maybe an hour and 20 minutes ago. live oak late drop 2014 June 12 photo DSC00387_zps3cb429ae.jpg June 12 2014 Late drop L.O. photo DSC00388_zpsde30e694.jpg I put up both not one. I will check later to see your opinion Joe or anyone. The buds look viable to me, I've seen dead live oak trunks on whips before.

o

Okay Joe, I can't imagine what you can say that you haven't already. The buds look the same up top where the cheesecloth was and these last 2 pictures. The buds should just die if they aren't going to put out leaves. I put another "late drop" about 4 ft from it, but I think I should just move the new one where I had it before and if this late drop never leafs out just get another oak or species. Yeah right, I'll be checking it every other day til July anyway, I'll email from the nuthouse. Just joking, no offense to anyone with mental illness or someone close to them with it . We all know someone with a problem. This tree is kind of a strange case. I viewed it sort of as an experiment, and it sure is keeping my interest. I will try to wait a couple days, hopefully there will be a difference that all can see by then.

o

I'm pretty skeptical - I hope your tree is alive, Poaky, but here we are almost mid-June, and not even swelling buds?

I wouldn't hold out hope.

o

I would say you should hold out hope. What's happening is the cell tissue within the cambia is repairing itself + hairmetal, (click on the photo) the bud sheaths have split. The discoloration of the bark shows winter injury. Give it some more time.

Poke, I have pecan seedlings but next year I'll have grafted cultivars. I've geared up sort of heavy with 125 larger pecan rootstocks and know which (2) will do excellent in your climate and provide you with incredible pecans. You have to plant two for pollination: 'Hark' and 'Kanza'

Dax

o

Poaky, your Fusiformis came through, correct?

I'm afraid these late drops may have a bit too much Louisiana Virginiana in the cross breed, so when you get these 10 year cold snaps they just croak.

I think the live oaks still circulates water and nutrients in the winter even though they go dormant, this brings warm sap up from the roots and then circulates the cold stuff back down to warm back up, so a bigger tree is able to withstand the brutal polar blasts better than your small seedling, it's possible the ground froze solid because the roots weren't deep enough yet.

This is my guess, you have to realize live oaks never completely shut down to the roots like northern trees do, the above ground portion of the trees slow way down but still living -hence "live oak"

o

I will just leave it alone and check it often, but not expect much. I do hope you are right Dax. I am tempted to prune it down to a lower leader, those buds are still there but are looking like they did in early April in spring 2013. Joe this tree did fine winter 2012-2013 and that was alot to ask of it. Hairmetal, I am slowly coming to think that it was doing fine and there were just a few more nights of -10F than it could take. It is however MUCH more hardy than any other Live oak with Virginiana in it that I have tried, I think I've tried 4 trees altogether. Two from Virginia, one from Mossy oak (a reg Virginiana) and one from Florida. Yes, Joe the Fusi from Arizona is catching up to it's skeleton. But that of course means the main tree did not survive, it is actually like a full sun perennial in my yard, if it grew slow, but kept that woody growth, I would love it, but that hasn't been the case. The one "late drop" in the dog yard from last spring is coming up from the bottom of the leafless trunk, it's about 6-7 inches tall. I had said it came up from the roots, but it is actually coming from the trunk, and is a single leader. The one I'm fussing over is bigger than the one that came back from the lower trunk. And Live oaks roots love my soil, the one from Florida grew many roots into my soil, when I removed it after the top was dead, I was shocked at how much root growth happened over summer, well, I guess that's why they are windstrong, besides how they are shaped low and wide. Hairmetal, I cut grass today and noticed that my largest Compton's oak was planted in 2010 in my yard I have tags for some trees, so it is only 5-6 yrs old and has grown pretty fast, you mentioned this in this or another post. So I may have acorns in a couple years or 3-4 years. They are said to produce acorns by year 8. So I don't know if that means 8 yrs in my yard or when it is 8 yrs old. Maybe 8 yrs after planting. I would try reserving some from Mossy oak natives nursery, if you want a yr to 2yr whip. I may be replacing my Live oak "late drops" with some more Compton's. They are handling the lower yard (swampy) pretty well. My Q. Bicolor are doing well there too. I really hope (Joe) that the new one you sent does better than the "late drop" and the Fusi from Arizona. In the middle of typing this I chopped the "late drop" down to where I saw the green on the trunk. Despite the buds on top. It shouldn't do any harm. I will try and get a better pic of the Arizona Fusi if it doesn't rain straight through tommorrow. Maybe the tree went into a deeper dormancy to cope, and it can't recover, Dax have you seen what you were describing on other dormant trees? As far as trying hardy rootstocks for Live oaks, I think the buds are going to be a problem also. They are just so fragile. Live oak buds are like the ball in a ball point pen, until they get ready with leaf pushing out. Maybe in the fall someone on the Virginia gardening site can pick some acorns from under the champion Compton"s oak in Williamsburg, Va. If there is a Virginia gardening site, there's a mid-atlantic. Maybe offer a few bucks for the effort. My traveling days are over for a while my BFF who I went to Florida with 3 times is a newlywed, and they have a construction/maintenance co they run together, and now she has a stepson, so I rarely see her, and I just can't see him letting me go on vacation with them, if they do go. Needless to say, I liked her other boyfriend from before better, but she doesn't so I am S. O. L. I hope I answered everybody.

o

Well, the live oak in question is dead on top, but there is a sprout coming up from the trunk at soil level. I wonder if I should just let it grow, but plant a hardier tree near it. I cut down the dead one in a few inch intervals, and checked the wood. It was dry and brown. The bottom inch is where the new tree is coming from, so the roots are hardy, but the buds aren't, unless we never get a winter like the last one. Here is a picture of the other one (dog yard "late drop" ) coming up from the bottom.  photo DSC00390_zps50731cec.jpg with the dead top and without it.  photo DSC00391_zpsca3d994c.jpg. Here's my Fusi from Arizona  photo DSC00393_zps917a027a.jpg I would imagine there isn't any use to keep up this thread. Other than to ask about the 2 exchanged Live oaks between me and Joe in Mo. The "late drop" will likely be fine in Joe's 6b-7a. And MAYBE the mix of genes in the one Joe sent me will be hardier than all those I've tried. I will let this little sprout grow on this "late drop", but I will be planting a zone 6 oak near it. I had a Q. Alba near it, but cut it down because I thought that the"late drop" was alive. It was really too close to our barn to stay there anyway. The trunk didn't have room to get very big, it was a volunteer anyway. I'll check this thread now and then, see if the "late drop" I sent Joe is growing well etc.

o

Mossy oak said they had trouble with their Live oaks and Compton's oaks last winter. I asked for more details. Maybe they meant something other than the winter, they are in Mississippi, but I asked for more info. I am planting hardier trees near the trunk sprouts of live oak anyway. I mean 5 ft away.

o

Poaky,

I think it was just way too many below zero days for the little tree that was not big enough to withstand that cold. Mississippi is deep south if that's where they are getting their trees from, far too warm.. You need some super far north specimens from Tenn, maybe Kentucky, Oklahoma or extreme southern Missouri.

o

If you can find it, plant Lithocarpus henryi. Not a "true" oak, but a tanoak, but a closely related genus in the Fagaceae family.

Everything I've read says it's the hardiest of the evergreen oaks/tanoaks. Probably solidly zone 6. Possibly a bit harder than fusiformis and Q. myrsinifolia.

o

Joe, I emailed Mossy oaks and they lost several little regular Virginiana's ( In Mississippi) but kept the "late drop" in their greenhouse, so they are fine. That gives me hope that if mine get bigger before the next brutal winter, maybe it won't die.Hairmetal, I will look up info on the Lithocarpus. Back to Joe, I am gonna leave the "late drop" L.O. alone, just too see what happens, I mean the 2 that came up from the trunk bottom. I have reserved 3 Compton Oaks for fall delivery. That doesn't guarantee, I'll get them. They are on backorder, so to speak, but nature doesn't always do what we want. I also have a Durand oak, and A Water oak on backorder for fall delivery. I know they don't live long, and I think they only live 60-100 yrs, The Water oak that is, but I am only getting one, maybe I should get another Q. Bicolor instead. I am going to post what I found out about the AlbaX Virginiana hybrid situation.

o

Poaky,

I was looking at your Fusi that you purchased from Oaks of the west, and I do not think its a true Fusiformis, I think they sold you a Canyon Live or Fusi hybrid the leaves are just to wide for a Fusi, or should I say rounded. Looks exactly like a Canyon Live Oak, that would explain the slow growth, also not able to withstand temps as low as a Fusi. One other thing about lives oaks in general, they don't like to be planted deep, I did some research on an Austin Texas site that says they do best with some exposed roots and don't cover with mulch (except maybe winter for you Poaky).

o

That is interesting. Maybe I should dig out the old fake "Fusi" and move the one you sent to me Joe. I went and read the posts about the "late drop" Live oak, and it was early spring weather that killed the "late drop" live oak in Feb and March.

o

The Arizona Fusi had skinny leaves in an above post. I think the leaves aren't the same all the time. Scan above you'll see the skinny leaves on it at one time. I have given up on that Fusi ever being a tree, no use digging it up. I will likely add another oak, a couple feet away, just let it dwindle in the shade. How is the "late drop" Joe. Likely not much growth the first year.

o

Poaky,

Just saying I wouldn't be shocked if it were a Canyon Live Oak

The LD is growing fast

o

Good to hear the LD is doing well. Mine that I had obsessed over has sent up 3 inches of sprout from the soil level. It won't be getting much energy before fall though. I'll just let it do it's thing. I hope that you can get a pic in late summer of the LD, showing it's size after much of summer is through.

o

Poaky,

I'll get some pics out soon

o

Poaky,

Watching your late drop that you sent me grow, it is Definately mainly Virginiana, leafs looks just like them as well as stem configuration.

Not sure how much if any hybrid is in it. Doesn't shock me that it didn't make your 10 below for a week.

Growing nicely will get pics.

o

Joe, they were described on the Mossy oak site as possible 2nd generation crosses. POSSIBLE being important in the description. They survived 2012-2013 winter fine, but that may have been a mild winter. I don't remember it being super warm, though. The winter that I tried 2 Live oaks from Virginia and they died, it may have been 8 +F a couple nights or 5+F, but they died. Well, anyway you (Joe) can see how it does for you. I just have it in my head that the LD is hardier than reg QV. No rush on the pics Joe, your growing season is likely 2-3 weeks longer than mine. In October things slow down and turn, but occasionally we get through half of Oct before things start to get fall color etc. Well, I'll shut up now.

o

Im going to quit watering mine in October, I don't want my live oaks to have new growth, I want them to harden up for winter.

o

I was out with my camera today, and here is the one I obsessed over, the sprouts from the lower trunk. I need to pick one main trunk once the growth hardens up, but it has 6-8 leaders now.  photo DSC00405_zps26155968.jpg I am going let it do it's thing, the leaves are big on these "branches". I only watered mine once this season. By October i likely won't water either. But we usually get a good amt of rain.

o

Looks good Poaky, how's the little Fusi doing that I sent you, yours is doing well. Have you had many 90+ days yet, the live oaks love those hot days, we have had a few, but are going to get a long stretch starting tomorrow.

Here is a pic of one of my Fusi's, hit hard by this winters had some die back, but doing well now.

o

Joe, That tree in the pic looks like it never had any damage at all. The one you sent looks like the day I planted it. No big surprise, any oak I plant doesn't grow til the second year in my yard, unless it was seed started (usually acorns) in my yard. They get settled in after yr 1 and then make some growth. We have had several 90 + days actually, more than usual. We had a couple in May and a few in June and yesterday it was 97 F. The Fusi I had already has put out good growth. I just hope it keeps it. I really hope the Fusi from you is hardier.

o

photo DSC00405_zps26155968.jpg This is the regrowth from the tree I obsessed over, no real leader on it. It is pretty good growth for only growing from mid to late June til now. I don't expect much from it, but will leave it be.

o

Uh oh, a summer polar vortex on its way this week, here in extreme SW Missouri it will be a near miss, but it's heading east, will this mean another harsh cold winter?

o

Come on now Joe! I ain't that slow in the noggin. But anyway, I am planting more Compton's in case of that real possibility coming up this winter. I am actually planning on the death of all my LD L.O. I will be planting trees near them, which will take over after they inevitably croak. I won't remove them until the L.O. do great in a winter like the last one. I'm impressed with the L.D. that came back from the bottom, but they aren't any hardier than the Fusi I have, but not bad for a part Virginiana, that grows fast, surviving in 8 -10F nights, and coming back at all.

o

I have read others mention this arctic vortex on another thread. I welcome a cool off, I know it won't be freezing, I thought you were BSing me, saying it would be freezing. I hope we get down to the low 70's. I can finally stand to work outside a bit. I mow the yard when it's hot, cause I have to, and I'm just steering a tractor/mower. But much effort spent and I am miserable and don't even want to be out there. You can't breath etc. I am glad for the rain, too, my trees seem to grow great after a ton of rain. All but the Fusi, that is.

o

Poaky,

See I wasn't kidding, but a nice cool down for sure.

Yep those Fusi will grow, but love really well drained soil.

I water mine that are buckets everyday, and they grow like weeds, but that's because they are super well drained. The ones I have planted have issues with clay loam around here, until they get large.

o

The L.D. I obsessed over has grown taller than that picture above. The leaves are really big, not like they were before the winter took the top growth. Oh, and the Fusi you sent me has grown about 5 inches, not bad, most newly planted oaks don't do anything til yr 2. For me anyway, but we have been getting a lot of hot sunny days.

o

Poaky,

That's excellent, glad they are both growing great. Time will tell if they make it, but maybe we will be happier after this next winter.

o

I had told you we had 97 F last week I believe, I am not sure that was correct. My friends car had said 97 F that day, but our weather report today said we never went in the 90's.Our area mentioned as having 97 F. Must have been just hype, with no real facts. I saw this on my min/ max thermometer. I suppose I need to get new batteries for the min/max thermometer. I am sorry I thought these temps were real before realizing the batteries are in need of replacement.

o

I do think that the temps could have been in the high 80's. Today the weather temps showed that some areas were 91 F, and the rest of our areas were in the 80's. It is now in the 70's. These 70's are our fantasy temps, we have to imagine our family members,which hope to be free from trouble.

o

We have been in the 90's for sometime now, we had a break for about 2 days in the 70's and couple in the 80's - will be around 97 next couple days.

All my live oaks doing well, a couple have baby acorns. They love this hot stuff.

o

I am sure you figured I was drunk posting last time. What I meant was that I had seen temps in the 90's on my min/max thermometer, and my friends car temp thingy said 97F last week, but our Pittsburgh station said we haven't hit the 90's yet this year. I think we have had 90's where I am, or my min/max thermometer has been not working right for most of the season. And my friends car temp thing had to be wrong also. It's a new car so that's unlikely.The stupid thing about people not having trouble means I my mom and I get sick from being out in the heat rather quickly. Well, whatever, the obsessed over live oak LD is getting some size to it, I will take a pic, I know it will croak soon in a bad winter. Well, I will go for now.

o

Update on the formerly obsessed over LD LO.  photo DSC00408_zpsfadae8a3.jpg

o

Poaky,

LOL, I get drunk at the bars..

Live oaks are all growing well, we hit 99 this past Sat with heat index in the 109 area.

here is a pic of my live oak since the last one I sent you, it has grown a lot.

o

Looks good Joe. Once the growing season is pretty much over, would you post a pic of the LD LO? That is unless it hasn't grown any yet. I'll take pics of the Fusi from you then also. My Arizona sourced Fusi looks sickly. It has many yellow leaves, and has 3 or more leaders. I will post a pic of it also, but it isn't going to be a feature tree where it is, as I've mentioned before. I'll leave it there, but I will be planting another tree there, which will be the eventual focal point, or shade tree. I don't drink at bars. To each there-own. I don't have to worry about driving home drunk, and it's cheaper buying your own and drinking it at home, to each his/her own of course. I don't have any friends that drink, anyway. It gives me energy to clean house, well, many reasons to drink at home. I guess that's it for now.

o

Poaky,

Yep will post for ya.

True cheaper at home, but fun drinking with friends and cab it home.

o

Poaky,

The more the live oak you sent me grows, the more I don't think it has any cross with Fusiformis. It's probably just a slightly more hardier version of the Virginiana.

It is growing well, but all the Texas Fusi's are outgrowing it, however next year will tell as it was transplanted this year and all the Fusi's were transplanted last year, giving them a head up.

Hopefully the Fusi I sent you is growing well.

o

Well, the Fusi from you is kinda staying the same size after that few inches of growth. I will try to take a pic tomorrow. It is close to the house, but it's dark now. I looked at the LO LD obsessed over tree yesterday, and the leaves look like the Fusi you sent me, not small like they used to be. So I guess live oaks can change leaf shape and size on the same tree. So the one I gave you may make big fat leaves like Fusi when it wants to. You know live oaks better than i do, but I am telling you what has gone on in my yard. If it ever quits raining here, I'll take a pic of the Arizona Fusi.

o

Poaky,

If you get a stretch of hot sunny days after that rain, the little Fusi I sent should put on another spurt of growth. Cloudy and rainy all the time make poor growing conditions for them, they are use to lots of hot sunny dry Texas and Oklahoma days. Nothing wrong with rain and watering, I water my potted ones nearly every day, it's the sun, the heat and well drained soil that makes them grow.

Here is a pic of that late drop Virginiana you sent me. Big elongated leaves, smooth (classic Virginiana) and this is on a small plant, sometimes on hybrid Fusi / Virginiana you will see both leaves but usually when they are older trees.

o

Poaky,

By the way, the biggest of those leaves from the plant you sent me measures about 6-1/2 inches long, way bigger than any of my hybrids and much bigger than regular Fusi and Quartz Mtn. leaves.

o

It's great that the LD LO is doing great. I am sorry, I had a busy day and had company. I was outdoors with my friend all day and didn't think to take pictures AGAIN. My lawntractor broke down so I had to pay my friends husband to cut it, so I got to have a LONG visit with my friend, yeah TMI I guess. I will get to it, the trees aren't going anywhere. Well, I guess the Mossy oak nursery was right it has Q. Virginiana in it after all. (the LD LO) they weren't sure at the nursery what the mix was. They collect from the wild. I'll get pics when I remember, should be soon.

o

photo DSC00414_zps7f97f09f.jpg This the most current pic of the "live oak" Quercus Fusiformis from your yard Joeinmo.

o

Hottest stretch of year 100's by weekend.

No problem Poaky get the pic when you can

o

Joe in mo, i had already mentioned this tree hasn't made much growth, and likely won't until spring/summer 2015. I am aware that it is still small, but it HAS grown some for this season's growth spurt.

o

Poaky,

It doesn't look too bad. If you get lucky and you don't have a crazy winter it might root up good, get a little thicker and make it.

BTW - Those Texas live oaks like their roots uncovered or semi exposed, so other than winter or at least next year when it gets established, mulch in a bowl around the trunk and any roots that are somewhat exposed, don't cover.

here is what mine looks like, I only mulch over in the winter, any of the live oaks I planted deep when I first started doing this didn't grow well.

This post was edited by joeinmo on Wed, Aug 20, 14 at 22:28

o

I will take a pic in spring of this tree. You can't tell but it has put on about 3 inches of growth from when first planted. I don't expect much, due to my zone 6 climate. I have the Q. Virginiana "Late drop" trees also, which I expect to be damaged by cold this winter. photo DSC00408_zpsfadae8a3.jpg And this "live oak Late drop" just may grow impressively if this winter isn't as brutal as the last. I know it may be eventually killed by a harsh winter in Pa here, in the near future.

o

The above pic is an old pic. The Fusi from Arizona is no bigger than the old pic of it. The top growth is really tiny. It is no bigger than my last pic of it. I'll post a pic for the heck of it, but it is really pitiful. I will be planting a "Compton's oak in the same area. It will outgrow the Fusi and the LD LO I planted there. Yes, I added a "late drop" LO there. It will likely not survive winter 2014-2015. If the "Here-say ,I have been hearing is correct. It could be a generous load of CRAP, but supposedly we are in for a wild winter. But, who knows how it will REALLY be? It is still summer now, let's not worry about winter yet.

o

I'm a bit worried about keeping the roots exposed, but putting mulch on those roots in winter. Will it be too damp on the trunk? I guess the cold won't hurt some surface roots anyway, as long as the root system is fine under the soil. I am hoping last winter's temps will not be back again. Other than the one from you Joe, I am planting Compton's near the other Lo (LD) I am giving up. I will not pull them up, but putting the Compton's there to replace them unless they grow big and live until they have at least 4-6 inch trunks.

o

Poaky,

Yes cover the live oak roots in the winter, but in the summer keep the mulch off them. Once they get big enough, you might not need to cover them in winter either.

I read on several websites that if Texas Live Oaks are planted deep, they will grow slow and might become sickly.

o

The one from you isn't too deep, I know that. The one from Arizona, is not doing well from winter die back.  photo DSC00419_zps6a86bf68.jpg This is the Arizona Fusi. It looks like it is under stress. I don't think it will ever be a tree, just a small shrub. I will just continue letting it be there, but will be adding a hardier tree near it, which will outgrow it quickly. I am hoping the Fusi from you does well. I think the LO LD I sent you will do great for you. I will be asking for updates each summer. I am puzzled as to why you had it in a pot. It's your tree now, but will you be planting it once it gets some size to it? I would guess you are, but asking anyway.

o

I'm going to keep it Poaky, but I don't think it's cold hardy enough for even my zone. I'm afraid it will die. I want to keep it in the pot until next spring, then I'm going to plant it along a piece of property I own on Tablerock Lake on the Arkansas / Missouri border. There is an island in the center of an arm of this lake which is a huge lake that I have an excellent and close view of from my property. It's probably a full zone warmer on that island because it's surrounded by water, and the lake never freezes over, way too far south for that. So I think it will be zone 8 on the island and it will survive there, it will be neat to see a green tree on the island all year long. At some point I will build a lake house on the property. Also there are no animals like deer on the island so it will protect the tree from getting eaten.

o

By the way,

been over 100 degrees for about 5 days in a row here".

o

I think it would be okay in your zone, it took more than a few below 0 F days in my yard to do mine in, but your idea is better anyway. No deer, even warmer area. It will be less stressed. You can expect me to ask for updates in late summer each year. As I mentioned before somewhere on GW, my oaks don't do much the first year, but I am holding out some hope for the Fusi from you. And I am still hoping my LO LD that came back from the lower trunk gets bigger and hardier. I am not going to be on the edge of my seat like the last spring, though. I am going to put the Compton's oak near the LO LD I obsessed over last winter/spring, If the LO LD gets about 4-6 inches in diameter and survives a winter like the last one, I may move the Compton's, but really, that won't be happening.

o

Poaky,

I'm in California and I picked up some northern Cal Coastal Live Oak acorns, gonna give them a shot.

Going to see the Coastal redwoods tomorrow.

o

Poaky,

Your weather still warm, I heard might be some frost in parts of NE PA.

o

Joe, we are still warm here. You are lucky to see the Redwoods. I would love to see the ferns and mosses that are in the shade of the bohemoth's. Dax sent me some images of Oregon's trees with moss on them. The Monumental trees thing, you may have seen it anyway. Yeah, the Coastal California Live oaks could (possibly) have Virginiana in them, I seem to recall hearing/reading somewhere. The Canyon live need dry conditions. I even Dare to guess that they are Virginiana. We are supposed to go down to 40 F at night, not sure which night though. I am in SW Pa. NE Pa is up by Erie, they get more cold and especially more SNOW than we do. I am about 20 minutes from Wv line, so we aren't as cold. I have no delusions of granduer for my Live oak "late drop". I have a Compton's oak earmarked to be planted nearby for the inevitable death of it. I thought of putting a Q. Alba acorn or 2 to replace it, but the Compton's should be ok, unless I change my mind, before the Compton's come in October in the mail. Well, have fun Joe, take some pictures of the coastal Live oaks, well, I hope you took them, I guess you already saw them. I like Redwoods, but the live oaks are my favorite, of course.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here