Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How best to dig up these pest camphor laurels?

Posted by naikii none (My Page) on
Sat, May 4, 13 at 21:03

Hey all, in my back yard currently are some camphor laurels, which from a far look like one tree, but as you get close you notice its actually a clump of about 10 trees. I would dig these guys out, as they are an invasive pest.

I dont have any tools apart from a shovel, pickaxe and hand saw (well, there is a chainsaw in the garage but dont know how to use it, and I think the hand saw will be sufficient..)

Will this be enough to do this job? If any one has any experience with a similar task, about how much of a challenge will I be in for? DO their roots run deep, or are they pretty easy to dig up. They are growing on clay.

Here are some pics for reference.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How best to dig up these pest camphor laurels?

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Mon, May 6, 13 at 11:23

If it was me I would get some stump killer, have it ready, cut off everything flat a few inches from the ground, apply the stump killer right away, and leave the whole mess for a year or so. At that point digging up the roots will be pretty easy.

But note that I am not very strong, and pretty lazy.

o

i agree.. i would not work that hard..

it looks like your yard is large enough.. that you couldnt just leave the stump to rot ...

and anything the sprouts out..after amputation .. should be snipped and dropped with more stump killer ... just a few drops on small suckers ... until it gives up the ghost ....

ken

o

You are so lucky to have camphor trees, hey smell wonderful! This is one my dream trees to have. Can we communicate and perhaps you would be very kind to mail me some fresh seeds please! Obs: dry seeds do not germinate, thank you. gataoxum@gmail.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here