Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kkoh777

Crimson King

kkoh777
9 years ago

I recently moved into a new house and while talking to my new neighbors found out we have a Crimson King Norway Maple tree in the back yard. It is currently about 20 ft tall and I've read they can get up to 50 ft tall. There is another one in the back yard of the house diagonal to our back yard and it is easily double the the size of ours if not more.
I'm concerned about it's placement in the yard, it's very near the back corner and quite a few power lines. I'm also worried that in another 10-20 years, our very sunny backyard will be completely shaded. I love having mature trees, we have a very large maple tree in the front yard that cools the house considerably. I love it, but I feel like this Crimson King is too big for the space.

Is it past the point of being able to successfully transplant it to another location? Both of our parent's have big yards that a large tree would have room to grow on without running into power lines or completely shading their yards.

Is our only option to cut it down? Is there any type of pruning we could do to keep it's size down?

Comments (5)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

Is it past the point of being able to successfully transplant it to another location?

==>> short of one of the machines at the link .. yes... not to mention the potential for buried utilities...

it has to die.. period.. life isnt a disney movie ... kill it ... kill it.. kill it .... do you get the hint ....

BUT... and there is always a big one around ... the question is WHEN ... and think i terms of tree years ... not our 30 minute, is a lifetime, world ...

first.. my deal is usually... when i can do it myself .. free .. no cost ... ===>>> you are on the edge .. if you own a saw and a ladder ...

second.. that doenst mean this season... necessarily ...

third .... . means.. you can plant some other friendly trees... which will have a few years .. to get re-established after transplant... and get moving... so when you do get rid of this PEST. ... they will be well on their way ...

4th.. if you have any dream of gardening under trees.. maples are horrible.. and norways are the worst.. once they get going.. you cant even grow grass under them ..... and i consider grass ... the most invasive weed in the universe.. not just earth.. the universe ... its never where you want it.. and always where you dont...

so... think about where you are.. and where you want to go.. and if this tree isnt in the equation.. have no guilt or fear about destroying it .... i usually say.. if i plant two in return for the one... mother earth.. net one ... absolutely no guilt.. EVER ...

sooooo.. where do you want to go???

ken

ps: and for a shiny penny.. i will really give you my OPINION... lol

Here is a link that might be useful: first pic

• drrich2
    9 years ago

Might help to tell us a few things in regards to a replacement.

1.) How tall a tree, and how wide a canopy, do you want your tree to have?

2.) I take it you prefer deciduous broadleaf trees like oak and maple over evergreen conifers like pine, spruce and arborvitae?

3.) How dense a shade do you want under the tree? How important is grass under it? Do you intend to try growing hosts under it like Ken does if I recall correctly, or is an unadorned tree jutting out of the ground fine with you?

Richard.

• famartin
    9 years ago

Crimson King isn't as fast growing as the species, but it will eventually grow into a fairly large tree.

Yes, 20 feet is too large to successfully transplant without heavy equipment.

If you can live with the shade, the power company will do the rest as far as the power lines are concerned, but of course, the end result probably won't be the nicest-shaped tree you've ever seen.

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

I have a Crimson King Norway Maple that used to be about 20 ft tall. I didn't like where I planted it and I didn't like the Fall color, so I cut it down to about 4 inches. It sprouted, so I whacked it off again.
    It has sprouted continually now for about 10 years and I keep shearing it several times during the growing season and here's what I have ended up with.
    Mike
    {{gwi:332553}}

• ttonk
    9 years ago

That is one handsome shrub. Nice..