To Juju

âÂ¥âÂ¥âÂ¥âÂ¥âÂ¥âÂ¥âÂ¥âÂ¥âÂ¥âÂÂ¥

From Mackel

Here is a link that might be useful: Roses are Red

This post was edited by Mackel-in-DFW on Sat, May 10, 14 at 23:51

• Mackel-in-DFW
    9 years ago

Sweetpea Juju,

The wife never did appreciate my love for flowers, and finally moved back home to her parents in Europe, for good. I am a single man, now! I planted some kudzu, and that finally sent her packing. Come to Texas, Sweetpea, I gotta whole floor for ya if you need your privacy!

Snapdragon Mack

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:364328}}

This post was edited by Mackel-in-DFW on Sun, May 11, 14 at 1:25

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

An attractive picture. Are you asking for an id?

• krnuttle
    9 years ago

That house picture is scary. The thought of all of those vines working themselves between the bricks, under the siding and in and around the windows seems like the thing maintenance night mares are made of.

• Mackel-in-DFW
    9 years ago

Yeah, Knuttle, but it eliminates having to line the inside of the walls with tin foil -> no more intrusive government spies, no more unwelcome visits from aliens.

Problem solved.

The city code enforcer busy-body dude can stuff it. Not only did I throw down a couple-hundred pounds of used kitty-litter into the water-meter basin, I'm hunkered in like a Mormon.

(I had told the wife about my plans, long before we were married. I told her everything about me, but the ring must have had her in some sort of mezmerosis. She just kept laughing, and laughing, and acting like I was nutz.)

But no worries, Brother, Heh heh heh.

I got Oxford scientists on my side. I ain't no dummie. Plus, all the liberal/hippie-type gals in the neighborhood really dig it. And they all know the poutie wife took off, with that shiny thing on her finger, and hadn't been seen, since.

Kudzu Mack

Here is a link that might be useful: Thermal Shield

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Still don't know if Jujujojo is asking for an id.

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Posted by floral_uk 8/9 (My Page) on Mon, May 12, 14 at 4:40

The person who took the pictures could not remember where the pictures were taken. He is thinking Africa. So, I am not so sure about ID. What do you think? Do you handle these in England?

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mackel, I think you will like Ms. Lee, click here ì´í¨리. Let me know if I can of any help, and hang in there ok?

Juju

• Mackel-in-DFW
    9 years ago

I stll think you are prettier, Juju. Thankyou for being kind.

M

• Mackel-in-DFW
    9 years ago

I'm a big joker, Juju, except for what I just said.

M

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    9 years ago

I'm so confused by this thread, but the tree is probably a Stewartia, maybe a Schima. Or something else.

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

Gordonia.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    9 years ago

Good call bboy, I forgot about the Asian ones. Are any of them cultivated in the PNW? I don't recall ever seeing them in the nursery trade. U Washington's BGBase doesn't even report the SE US species growing there, but it might be a bit chilly for it in summer.

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

â¢Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, May 12, 14 at 21:48

Ohhhh Bboy, you are outstanding ...

• fairfield8619
    9 years ago

Polyspora axillaris which used to be Gordonia axillaris. Camellia Forest gives it the syn. of Gordonia lasianthus, what up with that? Two different plants from opposite sides of the world. Confusing to say the least.

Here is a link that might be useful: Camellia Forest Polyspora axillaris

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

There used to be one in a nook in a Seattle garden, don't know if it is still there. Just bought the intentional hybrid with Franklinia in Portland and will be trying it here. Saw the US species growing wild in the Orlando area last month, where it was common on draining soils. One near one end of the loop around Lake Claire on the north side of the University of Central Florida Orlando campus (the second largest university campus in the US) was at least 40' tall, with chunky mature bark like that of an American persimmon.

• fairfield8619
    9 years ago

I have the Gordlinia but it was shaded too much and has not grown very much. I have removed the offending branches and we will see what it does now. I would like to get the Schima x Franklinia and see what it is like but I don't know anywhere that has it. It will probably be a while. I want a Franklinia and a Gordonia lasianthus and be able to compare all of them them together. I also have one of the schimas from CF but it is very small and in a pot.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    9 years ago

I consider the Schimlinia much more promising - especially after seeing its Asian parent was still very much alive at the UDel Botanic Garden after this winter. Both the US Gordonia and Franklinia are, for lack of a better term, inbred ice age leftovers that don't have much genetic promise. Sure, the combination of the two has better hybrid vigor than either one alone, but I'd rather just have the hardiness of the Franklinia imparted onto the already hardier than Gordonia Schima. I know for a fact Gordonia lisanthus would not have survived as well during the same freeze.

Of course its been known now for 10 years in the literature w/o a commercial release so who knows what nefarious reasons are keeping it from being introduced. Maybe the Gordlinia was considered more politically correct because it's a cross of two native species?

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

â¢Posted by fairfield8619 Zone 8 NW LA (My Page) on Fri, May 16, 14 at 12:54

There is no need to push your Gordonia to grow. It appears that Polyspora axillaris cultivated in Japan is a shrub, possibly not a tree.

The picture below is from {{gwi:364329}}
    {{gwi:364329}}

• fairfield8619
    9 years ago

Who knows nowadays but I would love to get one or two or three. I finally found two Stewartia malacodendron, funny how hard it is to get a native that is not even endangered. They are potted up since they're small and just have to be careful about watering- the proverbial moist and well drained. I want Stewartia ovata too of course. I'll probably have to wait now until fall to order anything else since the heat is coming fast. I might be able to squeeze SOMETHING else in now.

• fairfield8619
    9 years ago

jujujojo, I don't have a Gordonia, I have a Gordlinia, it is the hybrid of Franklinia and Gordonia.

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Gordinia is great. Do you think your Gordinia can grow well in zone 6?

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

â¢Posted by fairfield8619 Zone 8 NW LA (My Page) on Sat, May 17, 14 at 0:27

It is a fascinating idea of hybridizing Franklinia - a short-lived American plant in the Tea family.

• j0nd03
    9 years ago

Sometimes reading through topics here on the tree forum I swear I have stepped into the twilight zone.

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

We had 20s F. last month and my XGordlinia burned on the tips and edges.