Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mystery Seed

Posted by sam_md z7 MD (My Page) on
Sat, May 21, 11 at 21:32

Photobucket
Hi everyone,
I've been in S.America. While wandering along I heard a commotion overhead. It turned out to be green parrots fighting over this seed. What tree does it come from? Does it grow where you live? Have never seen it in my state. Do you know of any examples on the East Coast of USA?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mystery Seed

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Sat, May 21, 11 at 22:44

Sam, did you look up?........ and see what conifer it was?

o

Nice Araucaria seeds. The look to be A. angustifolia - if not, then A. araucana. You couldn't have missed the parent tree.

o

Photobucket
Here is a vendor at the "Feria Libre" or Farmer's Market in Temuco, Chile. She is selling the same seed. I asked her about it, she said that people buy it from her only to eat. I think that salicaceae is on the right track.

o

Seeds in the first photo are Araucaria araucana.

A. angustifolia has a much shorter spine on the end.

Resin

o

Photobucket
My compliments to resin for properly IDing the tree by seed alone.
Pictured here is A. araucana in Lanin Nat'l Park in Argentine Patagonia. Porous, volcanic soils suit it well along with its companion Antarctic Beech. Learning about Monkey Puzzle tree has been fascinating. The species has seen dinosaurs and woolly mammoth come and go. The species is protected under the CITES agreement.
My only question, why do I have to drive clear to Virginia Zoological Park in Norfolk to see a significant specimen?

o

Photobucket
I took this pic yesterday of a male MP tree at the Zoological Park in Norfolk, VA. The tree grows happily there and receives no special attention. Why do we see so few MP trees in eastern US?

o

Root rot - they are notoriously susceptible to Phytopthora in warm, wet areas. It would also be killed by cold in areas below zone 8 in the east that occasionally see below zone cold.

o

Another East Coast Araucaria araucana, this one just behind the castle at the Smithsonian. I don't think this tree has been there very long. I will be interesting to see if it can handle the heat, humidity and pollution of Washington DC.
Photobucket

o

I believe this is one too. Its in the DC area right across the street from the Pemberton Oaks gardens.

o

Dumbarton, not Pemberton. Is that picture recent? I wasn't sure if that tree was still there. If it can last much longer, it will get past the seeming danger stage when they can still die. There was a tree about this size on West Ox Rd. in the western suburbs of DC that died in the 1990s. Almost certainly purchased from "Betty's Azalea Ranch" which sold them in the early 1980s for the then very princely sum of $400.

o

die easily, that is!

o

bob_cville, thanks for your post. That's the tree I saw just after I went to the Nat'l Cathedral, kinda hard to miss it.
Photobucket

o

I'm glad the tree is still doing well.

o

that smithsonian pic cracks me up ...

i am presuming that is a professional installation.. and apparently that professional.. really has no clue about staking a tree .. lol ...

any wind that would affect it.. would probably snap the top off.. long before it tipped over.. but then.. that kind of wind.. would be the type.. wherein i suggest.. we are going to have a lot of other problems regardless of that tree.. if those kind of winds hit the area ....

thx for the pix... and the mystery ...

ken

o

There is a Monkey Puzzle or 2, of good size on the southern tip of nova scotia.

o

ditto canadianplant, very respectable specimen on coastal Nova Scotia, see link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nova Scotia MPT

o

The first picture the seed on the far left at the top is either a black walnut, ash, or "tree of heaven"

o

The first picture the seed on the far left at the top is either a black walnut, ash, or "tree of heaven"

o

Found another. This tree is in Baltimore City. The owner stands by it, she planted it many years ago. She said there has never been a problem with this tree.
Earlier on this thread, salicaceae mentioned a fungal pathogen that caused root rot. Isn't it possible that the long-established trees pictured here have some resistance? I also believe that winter hardiness will vary depending on the source of the seed.
I read on another thread about the famous champion MPT in Pavo, Georgia. I checked it out, it is Chinafir :(
 photo 06-22-10017.jpg

o

Good to know of this Baltimore tree. I think I know where it is but I've never driven by there. I'm willing to give it a "mature" designation. (I'm sure Resin will not agree ;-) )

So now we have, known East Coast monkey puzzles of all time, in order of size:
The Barnes Arboretum tree
The Wilmington Rockwood Mansion tree (cut down for "not looking English enough" - my favorite anecdote ever about America's "professional" landscape architects, but was apparently quite large)
the Silver Spring tree (I will double-check on it soon, location is still not publicized)
the Baltimore tree
southern tip of Nova Scotia - one tree? But apparently they die back at Polly Hill Arboretum in coastal MA? We need a current picture of the NS tree after this winter.

----not mature yet, but getting close-------
the NJ tree I mentioned in the conifer forum - probably will be cut down now that the land is sold
the Norfolk, VA tree
the Dumbarton Oaks across the street tree

--even smaller, but apparently healthy-----
planting fields arboretum

----no chance of maturity, dead in fact------
hundreds of trees sold at exorbitant prices since at least the mid 1980s by American Plant Food, Behnkes, Merrifield, and Betty's Azalea Ranch...probably Styer's and a couple Baltimore nurseries too. Not to mention many mail order plants. Maybe a couple are well hidden away in private gardens, and someone is being very tight lipped about them.

any more?

This post was edited by davidrt28 on Wed, Jun 25, 14 at 8:16

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here