Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Advice on Bark Damage

Posted by karenlynn (My Page) on
Sat, May 23, 09 at 21:43

We planted this tree, an October Glory Maple, almost 5 years ago when our house was built. I know nothing about trees but a year or two ago I noticed the bark looked bad. It looks to me this year to be worse. I want some shade in my yard as soon as I can, so if this tree is not going to make it I want to plant something else. Thanks for any advice, Karen

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Advice on Bark Damage

Nice mushrooms going on there. Personally, I suggest starting over, and reading some instructions on proper planting and follow them closely. The variety is fine.

Dan

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Sat, May 23, 09 at 23:03

That's a very extensive, *old* wound. It happened a long time ago.

It appears to be worse because the tree is trying to cover over the wound by growing new tissue from each side of the wound. As that occurs, the previously dead bark is lifted off. So it only appears worse.

That said, the wound is *very* extensive. So you might consider starting over shortly instead of expending more worry on a tree which will die, break or topple before its time.

o
RE: Advice on Bark Damage -- more

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Sat, May 23, 09 at 23:07

After I looked closer, I also see that the tree is planted too deep.

The telltale sign is that it enters the ground like a telephone pole. Normal is a slight outward flare at the base of the trunk.

Deep planting is another reason trees fail before their time.

o

Deep planting is another reason trees fail before their time.

And improper staking causing trunk damage.

Read planting instructions carefully, please, when you plant the replacement.

Dan

o
RE: Advice on Bark Damage ii

Oops. Hit wrong button.

The too-deep planting stressed the tree and didn't allow it to properly heal the staking injuries.

Dan

o

I suspect a bit of weed-eater damage, too.

o

Yup. Or mower. Either one is likely here. Lots of stressors for the poor thing.

Dan

o

not to mention a absolutely weed free lawn ..... which to me means chemicals for weeds .... which PERHAPS is interfering somehow with recovery ....

IF IT WERE ME ... don loves these.. lol ...

get another tree.. in the 4 foot range ... IMHO.. something better than a maple.. think oak .... and plant it 10 or 15 feet away ...

in 5 years.. either the maple will recover ... or it will be ready for you to kill ..

and the new oak will have a 5 year head start..

no one ever said you can only have one tree ... lol ..

no clue where you are.. but proper planting time is about october for larger ball and burlap ... but smaller trees transplant easier.. cost less .. get ESTABLISHED faster.. and basically outgrow a larger tree in a 5 year period ... KEY WORD.. cost less ...

tell us where you are for more specific info

good luck

ken

o

Thanks for the advice. We never staked the tree. I'm in Western Kentucky. The major ice storm we had probably didn't help.

Karen

o

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Wed, May 27, 09 at 8:41

I saw little glimmers of hope in some of the posts above for the poor subject of this post. IMO, That tree is beyond reasonable expectations of long-term recovery. It looks like parts of the crown is already failing, and it appears that the damage reaches all the way to ground level. If it were mine, it would be gone by this evening shortly after I got home.

I know it "hurts" to cut down a tree that's growing. I still have that feeling when I have to remove one, but, after it's gone, I realize that I did the right thing. It's senseless to spend the time and resources on a doomed tree when you could be growing a beautiful, healthy replacement.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here