Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! My Catalpa got savaged by a woodpecker!

Posted by TonyQ 5 (My Page) on
Mon, May 12, 14 at 21:46

Late in winter, one of my large 25-yr-old catalpas was attacked by a pileated woodpecker. At first I thought it was hollowing out a nest, but then it drilled more and more large cavities in the tree.
I assume now, that it was looking for food in the core.
After 8 or 9 large cavities were chopped in, (big enough to fit a football in) the Pileated went elsewhere leaving me with almost a hollow tree. The bark is mostly all there, but Im worried that the tree might blow over in a strong wind.
I used to park my car under it in the summer, for shade, but I wouldn't dare do this now!
I've sprayed a few of the larger holes with Tree-tar, but how can I strengthen the core of this tree? Would concrete be OK? A friend patched his catalpa with concrete 15 years ago and now the tree is bigger than ever!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! My Catalpa got savaged by a woodpecker!

Sealers and fillers are seriously out-of-date. Often make things worse.

Contact several Certified Arborists for an on-site look-see. You need a person who is qualified to evaluate potentially hazardous trees.

o

IME pileated woodpeckers don't go to town on healthy trees, so the advice to get an arborist to look at it is a good idea.

o

if this tree is overhanging a house.. or anything valuable ... it most likely needs to go ... it is a severe danger to you and your stuff .. and perhaps the neighbors.. but that would depend if you like them .....

see above about a local trained professional .. and to be clear.. not every monkey with a chainsaw is a trained asa cert'd professional

of course.. if you already know the answer ... and were just hoping we came up with another answer .... then all you need is an INSURED monkey with a chainsaw.. and be done with this nightmare ....

i totally agree .. that there is something significantly.. structurally .... wrong with the interior of the tree.. for the pecker of wood to do that ... it needs to go ... and now that giant holes have been introduced.. its going to rot even faster than it probably was ....

ken

o

• Posted by beng z6 western MD (My Page) on
    Tue, May 13, 14 at 8:49

I've seen pileateds dig out cavities in perfectly healthy trees. I think they sometimes just like to chop away at something, like a picture-window frame on my house yrs ago. In late winter/spring the males are fired up, so might explain its exuberance.

Catalpa wood is very rot-resistant even if wet. So it may be OK given time.

This post was edited by beng on Tue, May 13, 14 at 10:50

o

• Posted by beng z6 western MD (My Page) on
    Tue, May 13, 14 at 12:08

To add, a pileated woodpecker carved out a big cavity about shoulder-height in a healthy scarlet oak trunk when I was in Virginia. I was very surprised how fast the opening calloused over -- just a few yrs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here