Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cotton like substance on de-leafed weeping willow tree??

Posted by prettypetals GA 7 (My Page) on
Mon, May 9, 11 at 21:58

Hi everyone, My sister has a weeping willow that has been completely de-leafed and has fluffy cotton-like stuff alllllll over the tree with black bugs in lots of the cotton. Theres cotton like stuff laying all on the ground too. We hadn't noticed the tree in this shape until it was already totally demolished. Any ideas what bug does this and do we need to spray or just let it run its course?? Thanks, Judy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cotton like substance on de-leafed weeping willow tree??

Tell your sister to take some good images of this 'stuff' so that we can identify it.

o

and how big is this willow??

ken

o

Ok, I took some pics today and will try to get better shots if these aren't good enough. The tree looks to be over 30 ft tall and doesn't look like a weeping willow to me but she says it is. The bugs are black about a fourth of an inch long. My camera battery went kaput as soon as I got to the tree so I didn't get many pictures. The first pic is the white stuff on the branch. The second one is the white stuff on the ground and then a pic of the tree. I hope these help you guys. Thanks, Judy
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket

o

That stuff looks like the willow flowers which have gone to seed.

o
Picture

Here's a link to a picture for an example.

Here is a link that might be useful: Salix alba picture

o

It sure does. In the link it still shows leaves but her leaves are all gone. So I am guessing the leaves will all grow back?? Thanks Esh! Judy

o

Yes, I think the leaves will come back.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here