Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can we plant a weeping cherry tree here?

Posted by IonH Delaware (My Page) on
Sun, May 1, 11 at 22:01

Hello all, do you think a weeping cherry tree would do well in this spot of the house?

Please review the following pictures, the stick there is a dogwood that the previous owners planted and didn't make it. I've already yanked that guy out of there and would like to put a weeping cherry in it's place.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

-Ian

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can we plant a weeping cherry tree here?

Looks like a great spot for that tree to me.

How much sun in that spot?

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, May 1, 11 at 22:39

If something like impeded drainage or soil-borne pathogens took out the dogwood the same fate could befall the cherry. Cherry trees must have excellent drainage and are prone to multiple pests and diseases.

Another consideration is that a weeping cherry would hang down into the daffodils. Giving these trees a salad bowl haircut, as is so often done makes them look truncated and stiff, thereby eliminating the particular appeal of a cascading habit. You might want to choose instead another tree with an upright or nearly horizontal habit, as the dogwood had.

Maybe something that blooms at the same time as the daffodils, such as a serviceberry.

o

Most cultivars get pretty honking big -- look for a dwarf or semi-dwarf cultivar or plan on planting it further from the house.

o

What's the exposure?

Dan

o

Tue, May 3, 11 at 12:53

As far as trees go all weeping cherries normally encountered on the general market in North America at this time are quite small-growing. Situation shown calls for a tree reaching at least well up into the second level of the house in order to balance the size and soften the shape of the house.

o

bboy has some good ideas/advice but if you are set on weeping cherry, it should do well enough in that spot. It is a somewhat short lived ornamental and will need some minor maintenance. I think it would look very nice there myself. It would not block those windows near as much as a taller tree would if that is important to you.

o

• Posted by IonH none (My Page) on
    Tue, May 3, 11 at 19:20

The weeping cherry is very important to the significant other, she's already gone and bought the tree. When pulling out the dogwood, the soil seemed clay like there and drainage wasn't very good (I soaked the ground to pull out the dogwood and the ensuing hole filled with water and didn't appear to want to drain at all). Should I dig wider and deeper and fill with gravel/sand?

I was worried the tree might be too close to the house and was trying to convince her of this, but she is pretty set on the spot. Is it worth the argument or do you think I can make it work? I don't want to put excess maintanance work on myself if it is going to need extra pruning being so close the house.

Here are some pics of the tree and the hole. I WAG'd the distance from the house and its about 14' to the hole.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

PS Thanks all you're help is invaluable!

o

Unless you want to amend the whole area (kill the daffodils), plant it with the native soil, it will do fine. My soil fills with water if a hole is dug when the ground is wet also and everything around here is doing fine. You do want to make sure that bed is not a low area that is a run off collection during heavy rain (it should not be being so close to the house). The trimming will be keeping it off the ground not away from the house. Let the soil dry a couple of days and plant that pretty baby!

o

Tue, May 3, 11 at 20:32

So I shouldn't mix in any "good" soil when I plant?

o

Amending backfill soil (whether clay, sand, or other) is almost never a good idea. If you think you have drainage issues now, just wait until you amend the soil. Amended backfill soil to improve drainage is like filling your bathtub with dirt and expecting it to drain better; it won't. If you have the time and energy, you might consider installing a decent sized berm and plant the tree above the moisture/drainage problem. Otherwise, plant in native/original soil.

Here is a link that might be useful: See section 7, especially

o

Wed, May 4, 11 at 0:48

If the wetness killed the dogwood it will spoil the cherry tree for sure. These MUST have good drainage at all times. If the whole yard has the same soil moisture situation then pick a spot where a load of good, well-drained topsoil can be dumped and shaped into a berm or mound, and plant the cherry tree on that, without mixing the any of the topsoil with the existing soil.

Or dig up the daffodils and plant them elsewhere, either permanently or temporarily, and dump topsoil where they are, for the cherry tree to grow in.

o
By The Way

Wed, May 4, 11 at 0:53

Lately I've been retained by a wholesale nursery company to assist their sales department in identification and labeling of the stock on an ornamental tree farm they bought a few years ago. The site is on a former estuarine river bottom and has a high water table. Currently all of the weeping cherry trees and many of the other types of flowering cherry trees are in poor condition, sometimes very poor condition. Most of the flowering crabapple trees (except for a few disease-susceptible kinds) and the few serviceberry trees still in stock look great, with very little indication of them being bothered by poor soil and air drainage.

Flowering crabapple trees are available in weeping varieties, although with this group you do have to research disease resistances and choose kinds that have good resistance.

o

Sat, May 7, 11 at 13:39

Well the tree is planted, hopefully it does well. I will try to come back and post some results after a few months.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Hi :-) it seems I've stumbled upon your post a couple years late, but was wondering what has happened with your tree? Any pics?! I've just purchased one myself was curious about how well it has been with the soil. Also what is the growth rate so far? And did you plant it above ground with native or potting soil? Looking forward to hearing back!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here