Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you identify this tree?

Posted by romanticdreamer z8 Seattle (My Page) on
Sun, May 5, 13 at 22:02

I think these are volunteers - at least I don't think I would have planted two trees together and so close to the house.....does anyone know what they are and how big they get? As much as I like them, I think I should cut them down or dig them out while they are still only about 4 feet high.
Karen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you identify this tree?

get a close up of the leaves and bark

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, May 6, 13 at 1:10

Euonymus alatus.

o

Agree with bboy. They're not really trees. More like bushes. Can be trained as trees, but no point doing that there. They're pretty, but also invasive, as you can tell.

o

Thanks everyone - At first I panicked, reading that Burning Bush is extremely invasive, but further reading indicates that in the Pacific Northwest, that isn't so......so, I plan to remove the one that is closest to the house and let the other one grow to see how it does. Thanks again.
Karen

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, May 6, 13 at 15:21

Not usually weedy in this half of North America - wrong summer climate.

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Tue, May 7, 13 at 2:34

That's why they self seed in the irrigated part of my garden way more than the unwatered part.
Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here