Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Shiro and Methley Plum Disease Help

Posted by RUReddy 7B (My Page) on
Sun, May 5, 13 at 22:11

Hi Folks. I have 2 Methley and 1 Shiro plum trees that are about 4 years old. I have provided lots of TLC for them, including dormant spraying, mulching, giving them compost, etc. Last year I noticed there were splits in the bark on the Shiro with some sap running out. My local cooperative extension guy said this was nothing to worry about. But that doesn't feel right to me. This spring they all bloomed out beautifully. But now they are losing their leaves like crazy. The leaves turn brown, become dessicated and fall off. The shiro is particularly bad; it's lost more than half its leaves. I checked for insects but could find none. Could this be shothole or a virus? What is the protocol for treatment for each? I really hate to lose them all after all this time. By the way, none of the trees has born any fruit. We've had unseasonably cool springs so the bees aren't yet awake when the trees bloom. I appreciate any advice anybody has. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Shiro and Methley Plum Disease Help

Pretty hard to diagnose plant problems sight unseen but what you describe sounds a lot like bacterial canker, which can be extremely common in members of the Prunus genus.

Ideally, it would be best to confirm the diagnosis with your local extension office. They are usually very good at these things so if they said nothing to worry about, chances are good to follow that directive. It helps if you provide them with as complete a history as possible - sufficient samples and photos (not just a verbal description) for them to make an accurate assessment. Then they can direct you in the recommended treatment. Or you can Google 'bacterial canker' and take it from there.

Have you tried orchard mason bees for pollenization? These are some of the earliest pollinators, available online or at many garden centers,

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here