Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iowa_steve

Anyone familiar with Amelanchier alnifolia 'Obelisk'

Iowa_Steve
10 years ago

I am thinking of buying two Standing Ovation serviceberries (A. alnifolia 'Obelisk') to use as a screen for a narrow space between my house and a neighbor. For me the attractions are a) it's a serviceberry; b) it's available locally (in Iowa, where purchasing options are limited); and c) it fits my bill--mature dimensions are listed as 15' x 4' (my need is something 10' or above with less than 8' width).

I haven't found much about 'Obelisk' on Gardenweb or the web generally. Several nurseries list it as 15 x 4 without variation, though photos suggest it might get wider unless it's trimmed to deal with multiple shoots typical of A. alnifolia.

Anyone have experience with this tree/shrub? Is it one that can be kept within bounds of, say, 8' width with minimal pruning? Is 15' height within, say, 12-18' range?

Comments (14)

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

They're just copying the Bailey description - clone is too recently circulated for there to be any general experience with fully developed examples.

Instead of shelling out what the retailer thinks they need to get after paying a lot extra for a Bailey trademarked item I'd just buy and plant cheaper western service-berries - a nearly columnar habit with many upright stems close together is common among young examples of this species.

The key point for you is if the selection stays upright or if it spreads with age, as the species may otherwise often do. Nobody may know this yet, maybe not even those involved with selecting the clone - new introductions are not always based on long-term observation.

This post was edited by bboy on Fri, May 17, 13 at 19:28

• Iowa_Steve
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for many good points.

The one about the form possibly spreading out over time gives me food for thought. This cultivar seems to have been around commercially for 5-10 yrs. so it makes sense its long term habits aren't fully known.

I think I'll address this in a combination of ways by spacing them apart a couple feet wider than initially planned (as online photos suggest they should) and then selectively pruning major stems as they grow to limit the two from coming together more than planned. My goal is to create a hedge-like effect so a bit of overlap would be desirable.

Sound good?

p.s. I'd go with the more proven western serviceberries but my selection is limited in my rural area and these particular trees are only $50 at 4-5' (limited risk on investment, all things considered).

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

See, to me that is a big layout! I'd rather plant liners or one gallon size, for much lower prices. I thought I saw the clone appearing on the Bailey site only in the last few years, if there are 10-year-old plantings out there then those should be starting to give an idea of what to expect.

Understating of crown spread potential in particular is the norm in commercial literature and accounts prepared by those taking promotional materials at face value, it would be usual if a 15' example of the clone was actually significantly broader than 4'. Particularly in exposed locations, with full light many trees and shrubs actually grow broader than high. Only comparatively or quite extreme variants maintain crowns a fraction of the height - when not crowded or shaded.

• Iowa_Steve
    Original Author
    10 years ago

More good insight. It helps knowing the underlying issues.

Prices are relative--the view from our 1920s home looks directly into the kitchen and dining room of our neighbor's and vice versa. More money is okay if it solves an everyday in-your-face issue sooner rather than later.

Digging deeper I find one blog indicating 'Obelisk' was introduced in 2007. Gardenweb ran a thread on the tree in 2008 which seems consistent with this. So only 6 yrs. on market.

This Bailey's photo suggests something closer to 15 x 6, maybe even 15 x 8, with some of the spreading you've indicated.

My thought now is to settle for just one tree as our windows are only 6' across total. It'll be in full sun with only limited wind exposure.

• Nate Anderson
    2 years ago

Iowa_Steve, did you end up planting that 'Obelisk' serviceberry? How big is it now?

• troyg_z4b_sd
    2 years ago

I'd be curious to know, as well. I saw a large number of them being sold for reasonable prices at Fleet Farm last year (5 gal). If they do that again this year I'll probably pick up one or two myself. I like the naturalistic clump form, and 6 or 8-foot spread woud look better than 15x4 IMO anyway.

I've grown 'Regent' serviceberry (another alnifolia) in the past, and really love that species here on the northern great plains, as it's probably the hardiest serviceberry to high-pH soils (and native to the region). 'Regent' is a good berry producer, as it was developed in Canada for commercial fruit production. A hedge of Regent would be spectacular. Fall color was closer to yellow than orange for me, but they were all growing in partial/full shade. Still very nice color.

The biggest problem is that rabbits absolutely love them in the winter (just like all Serviceberries), so they need protection. I used green-PVC-coated chicken wire year-round, but only winter protection might be necessary.

• D C
    last year

I planted 3 Standing Ovation Serviceberry trees in the last 2 years. I had high hopes for a gorgeous narrow tree for different areas of my yard but by midsummer they look awful. They start to lose their leaves and look dead. Horrible experience with this cultivar. Very far from the pictures of the beautiful full grown specimens they use to sell this tree to the unsuspecting public.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last year

Since the entire genus is not overly drought tolerant and certainly not within 2 years, I seriously doubt this is a conspiracy by the growers to defraud customers with a tree that peters out in midseason and more likely to be a case of inadequate aftercare, particularly with watering. This tree dislikes drying out and soils should remain consistently evenly moist throughout the entire growing season.

Losing leaves in midsummer is a classic symptom of drought stress.

• Dutch
    last year

Totally agree with gardengal48: Amelanchier does not like drought and should be watered regularly during dry periods in summer.

Amelanchier alnifolia 'Obelisk' has been available for sale in Western Europe since the late 1990s. I believe it was a selection made by Jelena de Belder (yes, from the witchhazels!) and brought into commerce via Arboretum Kalmthout (Belgium).

It keeps its fastigiate shape with only sometimes a wrong positioned branch. Autumn colour is usually yellow. For autumn colour Amelanchier alnifolia 'Rainbow Pillar' is the better choice.

• D C
    last year

I am an avid gardener and have extensive gardens and as such baby my plants almost as if they are babies so that I rarely, if ever, actually lose any. I have watered these serviceberries weekly since planted because we have had unusually dry summers but it hasn't mattered; they all still look awful.

• Penny Fuller
    last year
    last modified: last year

I bought mine 5 yrs ago. It's grown maybe 12 inches if that, totatlly less than 3 feet. Stunted, sad, despite loose fertile soil and adequate moisture. Part sun. A friend said hers performed similarly. Stunted type growth. Bought at the same nursery so perhaps that is the answer.

• Dutch
    last year

In Europe Amelanchier alnifolia 'Obelisk' is usually grafted. Sometimes this can cause problems between graft and rootstock.

Plants propagated through the in-vitro method sometimes give problems with growth. In the past there have been problems with, for instance, Rhododendron yakushimanum cultivars and Sambucus nigra 'Black Lace'.

Very low air humidity effects leaf quality of Amelanchier alnifolia and as a consequence growth.

• Penny Fuller
    last year

Interesting. I'm going to transplant it to a newly acquired space and hope it will inspire growth. Lack of moisture has been no issue and happily disease is also not apparent. Thanks for the comment!