Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whaas_5a

Tilia tomentosa 'Sterling Silver' ....Front Yard?

whaas_5a
13 years ago

I didn't plan on such a early spring this year so I'm way ahead of the game and looking to plant another tree in the front yard.

I have an Auntum Gold Ginkgo to the left and Heritage River Birch to the right of the house.

Looking to plant something slightly offset in the middle of the front yard closer to the street.

Any suggestions (except maple) for something that is tough (all day sun, WIND resistant) and has at least one good ornamental quality?

I was thinking about planting my first Linden, preferably Tilia tomentosa 'Sterling Silver' as it seems to be more resistant to japanese beetles.

Want something sizable but not huge...lets say 50x30....or am I better off going with something smaller? I have a 2 story cape cod style home.

One neighbor has a Bald Cypress, the other has a Red Maple in the front.

Comments (5)

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

This is a big, fast-growing tree. A silver linden growing at a facility east of Vancouver, BC (USDA 8ish) was over 100' tall some years ago.

Unless you are on acreage, the other trees mentioned as already being present will also, in time come to occupy big chunks of your space. Maybe you need to scale down the size range you are looking in.

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Online I see mature sizes anywhere from 40 - 100'. The folks are telling me about 50' in our area.

I thought of putting a Carpinus caroliniana but it may looking very underwhelming.

It could top out at only 20'...but could reach a much larger size in time.

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

If there's an arboretum, botanic garden or other labeled collection you can go look at this may help you decide what you want to do. Since the linden is programmed to shoot up tall it has a vigorous and dominating aspect even when young and smaller. However, if quicker effect is more important than possible long-term size you may want a fast-growing, ultimately large tree. A tree that grows 1' per year will take 50 years to grow 50' tall.

• natschultz
    13 years ago

This thread is old, but I want to mention one BIG NEGATIVE about Tillia Tomentosa (Silver Lindens): They are TOXIC to Bumblebees! I read that where they are planted the bees are attracted to them and drop dead enmasse beneath the trees - HUNDREDS of dead bees!

Plant Tillia Americana (native and bees love them) or Tillia Cordata (European and bees love them) instead. These varieties are NOT toxic!

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I ended up planting this tree that spring of 2010. The tree was just shimmering now that its been in the ground 4 yours.

Quite slow growing but very dense.

I was debating on adding this tree to my new landscape and saw the post about the bees.

Apparently this species is toxic to bumblebees but not honeybees. I wonder if my neighborhood bumblebees would be busy enough with the other massive mature Tilia americana and the 100s of other natives around the area.