Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this an elm with tiny leaves?

Posted by RavenJamie Maryland (My Page) on
Sat, May 17, 14 at 22:27

Our builder planted this tree in front of our House in Maryland in 2012. They claim that it is an American Elm, but the leaves just seem too tiny compared to other elms that I have seen in person and in pictures. Bases on this picture does this tree look like a variety of American elm?
Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this an elm with tiny leaves?

Here is another picture of the tree itself.

o

That is definitely not an American elm. It does however look like to be a hybrid Elm which has many similarities and smaller leaves. I am guessing that it is probably a frontier elm tree. Do you know what color the leaves turn in the fall? The other elm it kind of looks like it is a new horizon elm, but the leaves look to be a little small and not dark green enough. See link for other possibe varieties you may want to google...... nice tree!

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Elm Cultivators

o

After looking at the pictures more, I think it may be a Chinese elm which is also known as a Lacebark elm. They have very small leaves and are very disease resistant. they are less American elm like than the hybrid cultivators, but are usually very free of problems and have a nice shape, although much smaller leaves and mature size than an actual American elm.

o

I have these trees, and they are Chinese Elms. Very nice trees.

o

Thank you for the great answers. The builder told me that it was an American Elm last year, so I was certainly researching the wrong tree. Since then, they have planted several real American Elms that certainly look fuller with much larger, darker leaves. Now I know that I have a Chinese Elm. Hopefully the bark gets as interesting as the pictures that I see online.

Here's 1 more picture of the leaves.

o

get rid of that stake .. or stake it right..

as it is right now.. in a good wind.. all it will do.. is snap the top off ...

to decide if it is necessary ... we need to know you soil type ...

ken

o

Thanks for the stake advice. It had two stakes, but one broke last year and the tree was leaning a little in one direction, so I naively thought that a year staked to one side would help.

It was planted in June 2012, so the stakes can probably come up.

Our soil is pretty heavy with a reddish clay, so the ground is solid.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here