Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hawthorn123

Toba Hawthorn Tree

hawthorn123
10 years ago

I have a Toba Hawthorn tree in the front yard. I honestly can't remember when it was planted - it is at least 8 years old and certainly is not impressing me. It has beautiful blossoms, the leaves are not compromised by rust or disease, the trunk is getting thicker but it has hardly increased in height since it was planted.

One year a spring snow storm after it had leafed out caused the loss of one major top branch and then the following spring another spring snow storm after the tree had leafed out caused it to fall forward and the back half of the root system pulled out of the ground. We dug it back into the ground and supported the tree for the next 3 years with stakes and cord.

I was weeding around the base of the tree tonight and leaned on it and felt it move significantly. For such a thick trunk and for how long the tree has been planted it seems very unstable. Do Hawthorns have a very shallow root system? I'm thinking since it's not growing taller I should replace it now rather than later.

Thoughts

Comments (3)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio