Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Toba Hawthorn Tree

Posted by hawthorn123 none (My Page) on
Fri, May 17, 13 at 22:35

I have a Toba Hawthorn tree in the front yard. I honestly can't remember when it was planted - it is at least 8 years old and certainly is not impressing me. It has beautiful blossoms, the leaves are not compromised by rust or disease, the trunk is getting thicker but it has hardly increased in height since it was planted.

One year a spring snow storm after it had leafed out caused the loss of one major top branch and then the following spring another spring snow storm after the tree had leafed out caused it to fall forward and the back half of the root system pulled out of the ground. We dug it back into the ground and supported the tree for the next 3 years with stakes and cord.

I was weeding around the base of the tree tonight and leaned on it and felt it move significantly. For such a thick trunk and for how long the tree has been planted it seems very unstable. Do Hawthorns have a very shallow root system? I'm thinking since it's not growing taller I should replace it now rather than later.

Thoughts

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Toba Hawthorn Tree

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, May 18, 13 at 13:37

The usual problem with wobbly trees and shrubs is root systems deformed by careless container culture at production facilities. Chances are your tree has a ball of roots at the base of the stem that are not providing adequate anchorage, part of their length being involved in going in circles or forming abrupt angles instead of gripping the soil.

This post was edited by bboy on Sat, May 18, 13 at 14:07

o

Given the age of the tree can anything be done to rectify this problem or do you have to start over with a new tree?

o

I carefully dug around the base of the tree and discovered it does not have a large root system in two directions. There are large structural roots going off in the other two directions.

From this I'm thinking that the uprooting in the spring storm tore off two of its major root supports that never redeveloped.

Am I right in thinking that if these essential structual support roots have not been replaced they never will be and the tree will never be stable.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here