Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
weeping cherry Information

Posted by maggie_berry z6CT (My Page) on
Sat, May 31, 08 at 23:05

Hi, for Mothers day I was given a weeping cherry Prunus Subhirtella Pendula and a Snow Fountain weeping cherry.
I have searched the internet and I know that the Prunus is going to get 30 to 40 ft and the Fountain is a drawf at about 15 feet. But I can not find out how long it will take for them to grow. I mean will they grow a foot a year? Also, I want to plant the Prunus Subhirtella in a moist wetland edge.The area does not have standing water but skunk cabbage grows in the area. I would love to plant the snow fountain in my garden. Should the hole should be two feet wide and the top of the container level to the ground? Lastly the side growth ( two feet down the trunks) coming off the trunk has little green"cherries" and leaves should I clip them off.
Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: weeping cherry Information

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 1, 08 at 0:10

Once established both should grow a couple feet or more per year but most growth will bend down, with significant height increase not proceeding nearly as rapidly as with upright-growing kinds. You may see neither of them grow very much larger for a long time - this varies between different specimens. Neither are likely to shoot up much for years, perhaps eventually one or both will start sending up new branches that grow vertically for a bit before bending over, hoisting the canopy of the tree higher in leaps.

Do not plant either in an area that is at all damp or soggy, impeded drainage is murder on these. They also will be liable to have disease problems beset the tops in low places where the air is damp much of the time, even if planted on mounds or other spots where they escape the dampness of the ground.

Don't worry about any little cherries that may be coming along.

o

Great answer, Thank You Very Much!
Maggie

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 1, 08 at 14:42

If you think any of the trunk sprouts may be from below the graft or will produce branches that are not desired for other reasons, such as distorting the shape of the tree from that which you want it to have (even though belonging to the weeping cherry and not the rootstock) then you certainly do want to snip these off.

Although some 'Snofozam' are grown from cuttings and other specimens of weeping cherries ('Snofozam' and others) are grafted near the ground and trained up on stakes to form a top many are still grafted on the tops of trunks of other kinds of cherry trees. You should examine both of yours and try to determine where they have been grafted (if both are, in fact grafted) so that you are able to identify rootstock sprouts and remove them while still small.

o

My gosh your both are grafted at the bottom. I don't know how I missed that.
I'm going to prune all the side shoots on the pink cherry and only the
very lowest shoots on the fountain. Thank You again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here