Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poaky1

Is this really a Q. Nigra tree?

poaky1
9 years ago

These are from yahoo images. http://www.overthegardengate.net/garden/archives/images/sb.asp?i=381129781.jpg I hoped that would have been a clickable link. I'll try another. https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8124/8652687336_175f12fb90_z.jpg Well, go on Yahoo images and type in Q. Nigra or Water oak. They look like live oak trees. They are Red oak family oaks, and only live for about 60-100 years, but, that could be a lifetime for some people. I bought one on ebay so I can get it in the ground sooner than waiting for Mossy oak natives nursery to send in fall. I recommended the Mossy oak nursery on here many times, not sure if everyone bought from them after I mentioned them, but they are sold out of a bunch of oaks, you have to reserve them for fall delivery. That kinda is strange also, would'nt the new acorn crop come up in spring? I guess in the deep south it may be different.

Comments (6)

• gardener365
    9 years ago

They probably discontinue shipping during hot weather & there will be seedlings that didn't have the same vigor that they grow thru the summer to get them to size. And then there are those that do get to size from last years crop during this season & again those that they may hold over until they are of sales size. It's kind of a circle of however long it may take for any given year(s) crop to be of sales size.

I looked at the links, but cannot answer your question.

Send an email poaky. I want to send an oak.

Dax

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

live for about 60-100 years, but, that could be a lifetime for some people.

==>>> one might suggest.. that 100 years is just about a lifetime for all... lol ..

why are you mystified.. that they wont ship a bare root tree while fully leafed out.. or in the alternative.. jam a potted one.. in a box in million degree weather????

frankly.. if you think about it.. who would do business.. with a seller who encouraged summer shipping ?????

ken

• alabamatreehugger 8b SW Alabama
    9 years ago

Goodness, I could send you a zillion of those things! I can't mow them down fast enough.

Q.nigra and Q.virginiana don't like anything alike though. Water oak has bark that's grayish, more like Willow oak or Pin oak, while Live oak has bark that is dark and blocky, kinda like persimmon bark. Water oak also sheds it's leaves slowly over about a month in the fall, while Live oak quickly sheds it's old leaves in the spring.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

To address the shipping question. I have bought from them for the last 5 + years, and they always shipped to me all season long, and had no problems. Ken they aren't bare-root, they are grown in a special system with soil on the roots .Air pruned when pulled up for shipping. They have on their website to put in orders, item currently unavailable etc. I never mentioned that, but that is what is the issue. It seems that everything is on back-order. Strange wording I guess, the stock is dependant on the acorn crop. The weather and blossom pollination is an issue.They had problems with their regular live oaks this past winter. The "late drops" were in a greenhouse, so are okay. Yes, I still have hope for some "late drops" already in my yard. I won't plant any new ones though. Well, the main issue about Water oak. I have seen yahoo images that say Water oak and Q. Nigra and they look to me like Live oak. Alabamatreehugger, I don't mean the tree looks like Live oak in the way you mentioned, leaves, buds and bark. I mean the branches position, silhouette, like from a couple hundred feet away, you may think it is a live oak. Well, a zone 6 person that never lived in the south with Live oaks around, could'nt tell until they got close and saw the leaves shape, bark etc. That is my best description for a southerner to understand how I thought they are similar. I read an article mentioning that in a certain area in Mississippi, there is a row of grande old huge oak trees, and they are Water oak. So I looked at Yahoo images at Q. Nigra (or) Water oak, and saw some with branching like Live oak. So That is how they are alike to me. So if they had named the images as Q. Nigra and they were really Live oaks, I will not be happy. That is the reason for this post, question. i've tried to post an image with a clickable link, I just suck at computer things. Type in Water oak on Yahoo images. You will see what I mean.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Alabamatr.... I wish I would've known before I ordered one. Well, the one i'm getting is potted up, and will be sent now, instead of bare root in fall.

• lucky_p
    9 years ago

LOL, ATH - knowhatyoumean! They come up everywhere!

poaky - the tree in the first link you posted looks like Q.virginiana to me, but the second photo is probably Q.nigra - sure looks like its habit.

I don't see Q.nigra here in western KY - but it must be here, because the 'Fire Water' hybrid of Q.coccineaXnigra originated as a seedling of the KY state champion Q.nigra, which is located not 50 miles west from me. I have a row of Q.nigra seedlings which I grew from acorns I collected at my ancestral homeplace in AL on the zone 7/8 interface, back around 2001. Think they've all perished over the past 3-5 years. Sometimes provenance is important.