Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
farmboy1_gw

Japanese Maple Replacement Suggestions

farmboy1
10 years ago

I am looking for suggestions from the folks on this board as to a replacement for a Bloodgood Japanese Maple that isn't doing well for unknown reasons, maybe soil pathogens. I got some real good suggestions from you guys and gals when I asked about trees for the front lawn.

The location faces north and northeast, and gets some western sun in the afternoons in summer. It can be seen in the background of the picture, in front of the the big blank wall. Other trees and shrubs in the area are (L-R in pic) a black tartarian cherry, red buckeye, viburnum acerfolium, and just to the left, ginkgo. Nearby are a tulip poplar, fringe tree, serviceberry, tricolor beech, and a couple mature maples.

I'd like to find something that doesn't get very large, and also doesn't get terribly dense, as there will be a window added to the wall. Be nice if it flowers and fruits. I'm tempted to try a crabapple, especially if the flower color is a dark pink, almost purple.

But I'd love to hear from the experts...

Thanks,

vince

This post was edited by farmboy1 on Fri, Jun 14, 13 at 0:33

Comments (5)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

hey boy

the red is the live parts of the tree.. yes???

if so.. cut off the dead ... and ignore it for 3 years..

then decide if replacement is necessary ....

many JMs have little sense of humor during midwest winters [especially after transplant, prior to full re-establishment] .. all subject to microclimate ... but once they get going .. they handle it well ...

i seem to recall.. you have plenty of other spots around that gorgeous house.. to deal with.. rather than removal of a LIVE tree ... with some winter damage ...

ken

ps: the most dramatic JMs seen.. are usually ones.. that are pretty weirdly structured.. due to creative pruning.. do to such ... lol... so dont worry about it being in perfect tree shape ...

• farmboy1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey Ken,

The red in the center of the next pic is the new growth where it died off. The leaves are distorted compared to the regular, more purplish leaves on the lower branch.

This is the second time in three years that a major part did not come back in the spring. I do not know how long it's been there. This is despite it being in a sheltered location, watered during the drought, mulched, etc.

I have plenty of other spots to deal with, yes. but this is pretty visible and I'd like to put another tree there that will be more of a reliably attractive specimen rather than a contorted experiment.

You guys have made me more selective, LOL.

vince

10 years ago

mine were hit pretty hard with the 23 degree freeze.. just after leaf out ... they have little humor about such ...

at least leave the spot blank.. until the window goes in ... why temp some big footed jerk to step on it [forgive me if you will be that jerk.. lol ..]

i would suggest a further back pic of the side of the house.. might help with suggestions ... also.. other than saying its sheltered.. you dont give us sun length .. size etc .... nor the height of the window ...

you might want to consider some of the shorter shrubs like Caryopteris .. especially the variegated one for year round interest .... 3 to 4 feet.. nice blue bloom.. and can be cut to the ground.. though not necessary.. but does have some dieback.. necessitating some pruning of dead stuff ...

a lot of foo foo trees .. have one season interest ... so adding variegated leaves can expand the show.. akin to your tricolors....

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• farmboy1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hmm, I added the correct picture to my first post....might answer a few of the questions... The window will be the same as the one next to it on the right in the first picture. And I'll be the big-footed jerk, LOL.

That Caryoptis looks very interesting....a great contrast to the rest of the yard. Need to find one, as big as possible...

vince

10 years ago

And I'll be the big-footed jerk, LOL.

==>> i kinda figured so.. lol

ken