Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moxi_gw

amateur concerned about chestnut tree

moxi
9 years ago

Hello,
I don't know much about biology or chestnut trees, so I can't give very much info about the tree (what it's called and things like that). I currently live in Poland, some 150km from the coast in a region called Kaszube where there are lots of lakes and rivers. In our court yard we have a chestnut tree standing next to the riverbank. I'm a little concerned on its behalf because of the small brown blemishes that have started to appear on the leaves. I can scrape the blemishes off, they are like flakes, and underneath I find a black or dark tarnish. Is the tree unwell or are they just "tree freckles" from the sun? Can I or should I do anything about it?
Thank you - I will appreciate any input and advice.

Comments (4)

• Huggorm
    9 years ago

Probably the Guignardia Leaf Blotch, read more here:
    http://www.bartlett.com/resources/Guignardia-Leaf-Blotch_UK.pdf
    Or it might be done by the horse Chestnut Leaf-miner. That is also common and gives simmilar leaf spots.
    Read more about it here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse-chestnut_leaf_miner

Both will make the tree unsightly but it wont kill it.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

how big is it ...

many leaf diseases are just cosmetic ...

ken

ps: i dont understand this:

In our court yard we have a chestnut tree standing next to the riverbank.

• moxi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The tree is 13 m tall.
    There is a river and the tree is growing next to it. I just wanted to describe the environment it was growing in, perhaps it had something to do with the blotches.
    Thanks for your comments - I will have a read about the leaf diseases.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

at 13 meters... its not anything i would worry about ... nor treat ...

knowledge for its own sake is great.. but i hope you understood ... that it is USUALLY a transitory issue ...

ken