Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
amateur concerned about chestnut tree

Posted by moxi none (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 14, 14 at 2:39

Hello,
I don't know much about biology or chestnut trees, so I can't give very much info about the tree (what it's called and things like that). I currently live in Poland, some 150km from the coast in a region called Kaszube where there are lots of lakes and rivers. In our court yard we have a chestnut tree standing next to the riverbank. I'm a little concerned on its behalf because of the small brown blemishes that have started to appear on the leaves. I can scrape the blemishes off, they are like flakes, and underneath I find a black or dark tarnish. Is the tree unwell or are they just "tree freckles" from the sun? Can I or should I do anything about it?
Thank you - I will appreciate any input and advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: amateur concerned about chestnut tree

Probably the Guignardia Leaf Blotch, read more here:
http://www.bartlett.com/resources/Guignardia-Leaf-Blotch_UK.pdf
Or it might be done by the horse Chestnut Leaf-miner. That is also common and gives simmilar leaf spots.
Read more about it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse-chestnut_leaf_miner

Both will make the tree unsightly but it wont kill it.

o

how big is it ...

many leaf diseases are just cosmetic ...

ken

ps: i dont understand this:

In our court yard we have a chestnut tree standing next to the riverbank.

o

• Posted by moxi none (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 15, 14 at 8:43

The tree is 13 m tall.
There is a river and the tree is growing next to it. I just wanted to describe the environment it was growing in, perhaps it had something to do with the blotches.
Thanks for your comments - I will have a read about the leaf diseases.

o

at 13 meters... its not anything i would worry about ... nor treat ...

knowledge for its own sake is great.. but i hope you understood ... that it is USUALLY a transitory issue ...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here