Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I tell these apart?

Posted by ms_minnamouse 7b (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 10, 08 at 2:53

How do I tell the difference between Trees of Heaven and Black Walnuts? I'm almost positive that I have them growing side by side b/c I find seedlings that smell gross and look like Tree of Heaven (a.k.a. Stink Tree) but I also get black walnuts crop in the same spot too, in the fall.

I'm having a really hard time telling them apart and I'd like to cut the stink trees down already to plant something native.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I tell these apart?

Black Walnuts(Juglans nigra) typically drop their end leaflet, while Tree of Heaven(Ailanthus altissima) doesn't do this nearly as much so the Black Walnut leaf will look like it ends with a pair of leaflets, while the Tree of Heaven leaf appears to end with 1 single leaflet. Also, Black Walnut leaflets have teeth(serrated edges) while the leaflets on Tree of Heaven are smooth and entire, with the exception of a characteristic notch (single tooth, rarely two) on each side of the leaflet near the base.

photo clearly showing the notch near the base of each leaflet

A black and white photo of a Black Walnut leaf with the serrated leaflets clearly visible and the missing terminal leaflet

It's amazing how there are no good photos of Black Walnut leaves and lots of unrepresentative line drawings there are on the internet!

o

Black Walnut leaves are a brighter green as well - both at emergence and maturity. Tree of heaven leaves emerge reddish and are a darker green at maturity.

The bark is different too - Black Walnut bark has ridges and Tree of Heaven tends to be smoother, except on large specimens.

o

It's confusing in that mature specimens resemble each other so much. I noticed the red thing, which is what I've been going by for weeding, also the smell.

o

Black walnuts have a somewhat rank odor too, in my experience. (Pulled a few out of perennial beds today!?

+oM

o

I am also frustrated by this. We recently cut down a large black walnut tree (toxic to plants and dogs) but I swear what I'm pulling up are tree of heaven. The stems are a reddish brown, as are the top leaves. The leaves stink when touched and the roots typically bend out to the side. The leaves are not entirely smooth--they aren't serrated but have a ripple towards the stem. Am I right--are these tree of heaven?

o

If these are first year seedlings, you can dig down a couple inches and find the walnut shell pretty easily...the squirrels don't bury them very deep. If you have a lot to go through, you could at least use this method to help you learn to distinguish between the two.

Alex

o

When there are no leaves or fruit to look at, cut a small twig lengthwise and check out the pith -- the pulpy tissue in the center. In walnuts it's dark brown and broken up into crosswalls ("chambered"), in ailanthus it's continuous.

o

The easiest way to tell them apart is that the leaves of Tree of Heaven are smooth while Black Walnut leaves are serrated. Also, Tree of Heaven leaves have that peanut butter-like smell when crushed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here