Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I need urgent Help and Advice!!

Posted by PippaM none (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 21, 12 at 4:10

Hi I'm new to growing Citrus plants and I bought a Lemon tree about 4months ago. Everything was going well until the last couple of weeks. I put it outside (as it was warm about 17-20 degrees) just for during the day then I would bring it in at night when the temp dropped. It started to dropping healthy leafs so I started to water it more(watered it until water was in the tray). One day I came back and it had drop virtually all it's leafs. So I googled what I was doing wrong and it sounded like I was over watering it. So now I have not watered it for a couple of days. It now looks like it's dying and the leafs are turning brown. Please help as I have no Idea what i'm doing wrong or if the leafs will grow back? I have attached some Pics to help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I need urgent Help and Advice!!

did you put a house plant into direct burning sunshine.. ???

without hardening it off to the intensity of the sun ...

it would be akin to putting my white freckled red head out in sun.. after a long pale winter.. he would sunburn like there was no tomorrow ...

no amount of water.. will offset a sunburnt leave..

water properly.. let it nearly dry before you water again ...

if it is sun burn.. it should releaf.. if you dont kill it in the mean time ...

and it should be outside for summer ... in full shade ...

life is all in the buds now.. so watch those.. if they blacken and get squishy.. it might be lost ...

that is a very small pot.. for a large tree ... if it releafs.. in mid fall.. you might want to think about repotting it ...

ken

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 21, 12 at 8:21

If it had been growing indoors for quite sometime and then moved outdoors in the sun, it got sunburned. Part of hardening off is getting the plant used to sun, not just temperature adjustment. Both should be done gradually, not all at once. When first putting an indoor plant outside, put it in the shade. Then partial shade, and so on.
It also needs a larger pot with good potting soil. A large plant in a small pot will dry out very fast, especially in the sun.
Mike

o

Thank you both Ken and Mike I feel so silly for doing that, what a rookie mistake! I will have to pay more attention I never even thought! It is summer now but living in Ireland it gets very wet and quite cold at night. Will it be safe to put it out side? How do you repot a tree? Do you have any links to buy the right type of soil incase I go to the garden center and get the wrong type and truly kill the poor thing.
Thanks
Pippa

o

Thank you both Ken and Mike I feel so silly for doing that, what a rookie mistake! I will have to pay more attention I never even thought! It is summer now but living in Ireland it gets very wet and quite cold at night. Will it be safe to put it out side? How do you repot a tree? Do you have any links to buy the right type of soil incase I go to the garden center and get the wrong type and truly kill the poor thing.
Thanks
Pippa

o

I'm sorry to disagree, but I don't see any real sign of sunburn. Sunburn on citrus causes the mature leaves to turn grey, then white, on the damaged area, then finally straw colored as they fall. Very tender new growth may just blacken and drop.

To me, this looks MUCH more like a watering problem. Either much too dry and it shriveled up, or much too wet and the roots are rooted.

I would knock it out of the pot and check for rotted roots. If so, I would trim the bad stuff, repot in a good gritty mix, and drench with a fungicide. If merely underwatered, some TLC will bring it back.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here