Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drankon

Fagus Sylvatica (Common beech) dying

Drankon
9 years ago

Hi

I hope you can help me. At the end of March my friend gave me a matured beech tree (still in dormant state) and I planted it in my garden. The tree was about 3 meters high (I would say about 6 years old). We made sure that most of the roots were saved and I dug the hole at lest twice the size of the root system. We mixed that with compost and I watered almost every day. The soil where the tree is placed is not good, quite wet and made of clay. However I secured it well and almost half the soil was the compost and proper top soil (the rest was that poor clay soil). The tree grew very nicely in first 2 months. It is about 4 meters high now (13 feet), but in late april very strong wind hit my area and the leaves were only about 3 weeks old on that tree. For last 3 weeks the tree started having problems, I think it is dying, but I don't know what to do. I keep watering it every day, I put fish, bone, blood fertilizer to feed it in recent days. The place is quite windy, but I don't think it too strong for the plant to be much affected. Also I have noticed that the soil doesn't absorb the water very well, It takes good few minutes for water to get soaked in after watering. I live in Republic of Ireland, so the weather is quite dull and around 14-18 Celcius in recent weeks. Could you have a look at the pictures and advise me on how to save that tree. Sorry for my language, English in not my native language. I also attached picture of field maple that grows next to the beech tree and it doesn't look healthy either

This post was edited by Drankon on Mon, Jun 2, 14 at 7:08

Comments (7)

Sponsored
My Kitchen And Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars48 Reviews
Virginia-Based, Leading Kitchen and Bath Remodeler Since 1994