Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sweet chestnut in a pot

Posted by averil 8b (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 2, 14 at 7:56

Hi folks, I would really appreciate some advice. I planted this sweet chestnut in a pot two years ago. It seems to spread a lot but doesn't grow upwards much. Should I LOP some branches off to encourage it to grow upwards? My next question is, will I be able to keep this tree in a pot for a long time because I know they grow huge and I only have a small garden. Will it just grow to the size the pot allows or is it likely to die?
I would really appreciate any advice
Kind regards
Averil UK

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sweet chestnut in a pot

if you want to keep a huge tree in a pot... you need to learn bonsai ...

though that will probably stunt nut production ...

you can prune it.. any way you want ... you will not stop its genetic growth rates by pruning the top ... neither will the pot slow it down ...

ken

o

It's not going to produce nuts for you and in a pot that size, you're nearly at the pot/plant size equilibrium.

o

They can take 30 years to fruit from seedlings and they often don't fruit well in Britain anyway. But I'm not sure the OP is wanting nuts particularly. I'd just grow it in that or a larger pot until it began to decline and then find a home for it elsewhere.

o

Thanks folks, I didn't particularly expect it to produce nuts. I will see if I can rehome it and buy something a bit more sensible
Kind regards
Averil

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here