Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning Smoke Trees

Posted by onthebrinck NJ (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 12, 10 at 8:11

I've read that smoke tree/bushes can be pruned almost to the ground during dormancy. The second photo, although hard to see, may suggest that this tree was pruned to that extent or there was an attempt to kill it --- with the previous owners, it's hard to know their intentions. I'm the new owner and did nothing to this tree since discovering it tucked away behind the shrubs. Nonetheless, this year's branches are 'too' healthy and have grown and drooped into the nearby boxwoods, azaleas and flower beds. Come fall or whenever, how far back would you recommend I trim this? This part of the garden receives sun til about noon and then is in the shade of the house after that.

Smoke full

Smoke trunk 2

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning Smoke Trees

google REJUVENATION OF FLOWERING SHRUBS ...

that involves removing 1/3 of the largest branches .. as close to the ground as possible..

or in your situation.. all the ones taller than the rest of the shrub ...

your problem.. is .. well the prior owner

this is easily a 10 foot in all dimensions plant... planted ONE FOOT FROM THE FOUNDATION ..

IF IT WERE ME... i would just get rid of it ... it isnt even worth the effort to move that monster ..

if you have some affection for smoke bush.. and the room .... go buy a small one and plant it elsewhere ...

to kill it.. cut all at ground level and drip stump killer or roundup on the cuts ...

never.. ever.. cut a flowering shrub at height.. or.. well... you end up with the problems you have now ... go figure... lol

good luck with the new house... just suck it up.. and get rid of all the nightmares the prior owner left ...

good luck

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here