Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovemytrees

Slug damage on my baby Sugar Maples

ilovemytrees
9 years ago

Hi. I didn't know a lot about slugs before.....only that I knew we have them all over our yard. Every time we dig a hole, there they are!

So when I went out to water my maples, I was perplexed by holes on the leaves. I went inside and looked online, and sure enough, it's slug damage. No doubt about it. The damage is not nearly as severe as Japanese Beetles damage, but I'm afraid if they keep eating, the trees will die.

I'm only using organic products these days, and I bought something that has all different kinds of essential oils. It must work because I saw some bug on a leaf as I was spraying, and as soon as I sprayed the bug died...

I guess I'll spray the leaves in the early evening from now on since slugs apparently only eat after dark.

Here I thought voles and rabbits would be my issues. Now I have to add slugs to the list? This sucks!

Does anyone else get leaf damage from slugs? Or is this more a problem because I live in a rural setting?

This post was edited by ilovemytrees on Thu, Jun 5, 14 at 9:47

Comments (10)

• longtee81 (Zone 5a)
    9 years ago

Thanks for posting this question! I too am noticing them for the first time ever, they are all over my maple tree and I have noticed some leaf damage as well.

Should young trees (planted this spring) be treated (sprayed) or would this be harmful to the tree since it is already stressed from transplant?

Thanks

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

Give them beer.

My father used to swear by placing a small bowl or cup in the ground - sink it at ground level so the top of the cup is level with the soil. Fill it with beer.

Supposedly the slugs go for the beer and die in it. He says it works - I've never had enough of a slug problem to try it myself.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

What are you spraying on the leaves for the slugs?

If you really do plan to use beer traps, don't chill it. As a matter of fact, stale beer is best at attracting the slugs. Open one and allow it to sit out.

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    9 years ago

Just wrap a strip of copper around the base of the tree or area- slugs won't cross it.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Are you absolutely certain the damage is caused by slugs? I have millions of both slugs and snails and have never known them attack Maple leaves, or indeed any tree really. They would have to be be desperate.They much prefer lush soft growth. Can you post a picture of the holes in the leaves?

And you say 'Every time we dig a hole, there they are!' So are you saying you have slugs which live underground? That's odd. We have a small black soil dwelling slug but it lives only just below the surface and eats roots and the base of plants. Not trees.

A picture of these creatures would be good too.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

there are slug FAQs in both the hosta forum.. and the pest/clinic forum ..

as a decades long hosta grower.. i know all about slugs ...

and in those decades.. i have never seen one in a tree ...

where do they hide at night???? seems like it would be a long way to the soil ...

could you favor us with a pic???

copper and beer traps.. never really worked for me ...

unlike you.. i just drink the beer.. until i forget about the slugs ... the downside is not feeling well the next day ... lol..

ken

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

did you mention how big these maples are ... i bet they are smaller then i was thinking when i wrote the above ...

and take note: SLUGS ARE NOT INSECTS ...

organic or not.. INSECT-icides will generally not work ...

ken

• corkball
    9 years ago

slugs (if that is your problem) are pretty easy to take care of. You can use diatomaceous earth or there is a bait whose active ingredient is iron phosphate I believe. Both did pretty well for me and my strawberries. Not sure I would qualify as 'organic', but they are not artificial organic molecules, and DE is naturally occurring (don't breathe it in though it will irritate your lungs).

• ilovemytrees
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I need to correct something I said above, and that is what we have every time we dig a hole are grubs not slugs. I'm sorry that I confused the two.. :But when I looked online the holes on my little maples, that are 3 ft tall, look exactly like slug damage.

After reading all of your responses and after realizing I confused grubs and slugs, I need to rethink my strategy of how to stop these holes in my leaves.

Edited to add I can get you pictures in a little bit, after dh wakes up. He doesn't have to go into work til 11am this morning.. He's the one who posts my pictures, since I don't know how to do it.

This post was edited by ilovemytrees on Fri, Jun 6, 14 at 7:12

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz