Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cal_00

Weeping Willow bark coming off. Pictures inside.

Cal_00
9 years ago

Hi, I planted this Weeping Willow in my yard about 4 years ago. The first 2 years of the tree being in the ground I didn't notice much change in the size of the crown or the diameter of the trunk. That was until last year when this tree took off and nearly tripled in size. This year it has really started to grow at a quicker paste then last year but I've notice something at the base of the trunk. About a week ago I notice a small hole at the base and I checked to see if it was hollow but it wasn't. I could feel something behind the hole. As I started to feel around the area where the hole was I could feel the bark moving as I pressed firmly a around that area. Yesterday after check it again the bark was pretty much peeling off so I remove the bark that was only attached by a few strands of bark. I have included pictures of the area. My question is...is this a normal shedding process? If not, what can be causing this? I did notice some ants around that area but I'm not sure if that could cause this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Comments (23)

• Cal_00
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Base

• Cal_00
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Not sure if this is relevant but this is the top.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

pull back the soil near the trunk ... and find out how deep the root flare is ...

how big was the transplant ...

last pic.. i see edging brick ..how close to the house is this ... i wouldnt have one closer than about 30 to 50 feet from the house

it is not normal ...

any chance its on the SE or SW face of the trunk ... where are you ???

ken

• Cal_00
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Ken, thanks for the reply.

- The root flare is about a 1/2 an inch below the soil.

- I bought it from Lowes 4 years ago. I believe it was in a 5 gallon pot.

- I have edging around all my trees. The Willow is planted more then 50' from my house.

- It's directly on the west side of the trunk.

• Cal_00
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Also, I'd like to add that I did see some ants climbing my willow. A few were going into barkless area. Could this be a insect/pest problem? I've never had any issues with insects in the past and I've never had to spray my plants with anything.

• lkz5ia
    9 years ago

Willows commonly get cankers and grow over them and rinse and repeat with all sorts of problems. They usually can outgrow everything until they get old.

• Cal_00
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the reply Ikz5ia. I kinda thought it might be a canker from the pictures of it.

I want to spray my trees with some sort of insect control spray. I planted a few costly trees this year and i really want to take every measure possible to protect them. Is there a insect spray that is sold at a big box store that someone can recommend?

• HU-467348
    8 years ago

The flare of the tree should NEVER be beneath the soil.

• wisconsitom
    8 years ago

Nor can I in good faith recommend "spraying blind" as a reasonable part of tree care. Do you not realize, most insect species are either helpful to mankind, or at least not damaging? The blanket spraying you seem to want to do is from another time. And that time was much less well-informed on insect and disease issues than is our present day. Never spray a pest control chemical without knowing what it is you are targeting. I'm sorry but that is a recipe for, at best, you wasting your time and money, and at worst, the killing of the very organisms which might have helped control actual insect problems. A very old idea which absolutely cannot be recommended.

The wound on the trunk of your willow could be a "canker" but it could just as easily be the result of mechanical injury. and sometimes, mechanical injuries lead to canker formation. I see much woundwood and callus formation. The best thing you can do for the tree is leave it to its own devices.. No special preparation, even those containing actual snake oil, will help this tree close that wound up. Watering-if it is actually needed-would be helpful to the general wellbeing of the tree. So, if that should become necessary, you could do that. All else is useless......or, in the case of your intended insecticide spraying, worse than useless.

+oM

• Nevermore44 - 6a
    8 years ago

I have a willow that was planted 10 years back. It grew great for 7 years… its probably 1 foot at the base…. but then it got a canker at the root flare like people are mentioning. After that, it played out just like your story above the canker area… the bark sounded hollow and I eventually removed the dead bark. It has the same healing edges like yours is showing but the canopy above is thinning out and the dead area has gone higher up the trunk. It was a nice tree, but I am planning on it's removal and replacement. It has gotten the willow black aphids over the years… but they didn't seem to slow the tree down at all.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    8 years ago

In addition to Tom's excellent comments, let me just add that most insect sprays are not preventative - they either need direct contact or must be ingested so insects need to be present in order to afford control. There are systemic-type insecticides but I still would not advise application unless/until you know specifically what you are treating for. With a few exceptions, most insect damage to trees is cosmetic only and seldom requires or warrants treatment in the first place.

• Nevermore44 - 6a
    8 years ago

I just used a hose with a thin stream to blast the aphids off. These where always in groups, so it seemed to work fairly well

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    8 years ago

"The flare of the tree should NEVER be beneath the soil."

In the case of willow, it's not a big deal. These are trees that will root from a stick in the ground and thrive in floodplains that frequently get fresh deposits of river sediments over their root zone (& around their trunk) in amounts in excess of your current 1/2".

• jalcon
    8 years ago

The root flare shouldn't be beneath the soil, but 1/2" below isn't going to hurt this willow tree.

8 years ago

nice debate about a 2 year old post.. lol ... ken

• eviejw73
    7 years ago

I have a weeping willow that also has lost it's bark, as the one in the photograph, I do have iris planted around the tree. Shold I remove the plants?

• Scott Habben
    7 years ago

I have peeling bark, with bugs under the bark and am worried that it's in decline. The tree was planted 15 yrs. ago and doesn't seem to be growing as it should....here are some pic's........

help...!!

• Logan L Johnson
    7 years ago

planted too deep

7 years ago

does this have much to do with the original post????

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    7 years ago

Scott, can you post a picture of the whole tree?

You appear to have a big rotting wound on a tree prone to them. Usually these grow as fast as they rot if not faster so they outpace it. Yours is not for some reason.

I am starting to think Weeping willows are picky sometimes.

My neighbor has a beautiful one from a cutting he took in Arkansas growing on the hill behind our houses. Its a decade old and probably 60 foot in spread.

Down the hill where it is wet in his front yard he had a cutting take the same year. A few years later the bottom started rotting and it died. So he took another cutting, same thing. And again. My best guess is they don't like being downhill of the septic? Who knows.

• Logan L Johnson
    7 years ago

I like weeping willow in the proper siting, but more than often they are planted in bad situations. Saw some growing under power lines the other day, so sad to see them butchered.

• piper40_2000
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I have a weeping willow that has thrived for approximately 5 years. It is about 7 feet tall. I noticed that the bark looked like it had been gouged by an animal or person. The bark has practically been torn or gouged from about 4 feet to about 3 feet down and around 4-5 inches across. I noticed that there was an insect in a shallow cocoon almost see through white attached to the inside a small piece of bark that was hanging half way off the tree. I am going to post a photo of said insect. I need

help to discover the remedy to heal this tree! Thank you very much!