Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weeping Willow bark coming off. Pictures inside.

Posted by Cal_00 5B (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 16, 14 at 8:20

Hi, I planted this Weeping Willow in my yard about 4 years ago. The first 2 years of the tree being in the ground I didn't notice much change in the size of the crown or the diameter of the trunk. That was until last year when this tree took off and nearly tripled in size. This year it has really started to grow at a quicker paste then last year but I've notice something at the base of the trunk. About a week ago I notice a small hole at the base and I checked to see if it was hollow but it wasn't. I could feel something behind the hole. As I started to feel around the area where the hole was I could feel the bark moving as I pressed firmly a around that area. Yesterday after check it again the bark was pretty much peeling off so I remove the bark that was only attached by a few strands of bark. I have included pictures of the area. My question is...is this a normal shedding process? If not, what can be causing this? I did notice some ants around that area but I'm not sure if that could cause this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weeping Willow bark coming off. Pictures inside.

Base

o

Not sure if this is relevant but this is the top.

o

pull back the soil near the trunk ... and find out how deep the root flare is ...

how big was the transplant ...

last pic.. i see edging brick ..how close to the house is this ... i wouldnt have one closer than about 30 to 50 feet from the house

it is not normal ...

any chance its on the SE or SW face of the trunk ... where are you ???

ken

o

Hi Ken, thanks for the reply.

- The root flare is about a 1/2 an inch below the soil.

- I bought it from Lowes 4 years ago. I believe it was in a 5 gallon pot.

- I have edging around all my trees. The Willow is planted more then 50' from my house.

- It's directly on the west side of the trunk.

o

Also, I'd like to add that I did see some ants climbing my willow. A few were going into barkless area. Could this be a insect/pest problem? I've never had any issues with insects in the past and I've never had to spray my plants with anything.

o

• Posted by lkz5ia z5 west iowa (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 16, 14 at 12:40

Willows commonly get cankers and grow over them and rinse and repeat with all sorts of problems. They usually can outgrow everything until they get old.

o

Thanks for the reply Ikz5ia. I kinda thought it might be a canker from the pictures of it.

I want to spray my trees with some sort of insect control spray. I planted a few costly trees this year and i really want to take every measure possible to protect them. Is there a insect spray that is sold at a big box store that someone can recommend?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here