Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cornus mas 'Golden Glory' disease?

Posted by nydepot 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 4, 14 at 8:24

Please see the attached photo. I have 6 Cornus mas 'Golden Glory' and 2 have this diease. They were planted last year. I do not recall this happening last year. There are maples and shrubs in the same area. Any ideas what is going on? Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cornus mas 'Golden Glory' disease?

That's anthracnose, it's serious. I don't like to be the bearer of bad news. You'll have to do some reading about pruning diseased shoots, spraying, fertilization, watering, or eradication.

Dax

o

Interesting that Cornus mas is considered to be less susceptible or not get it at all.

Cornus florida and C. nuttallii get it and die. Some other Cornus members seem to get leaf spot only.

o

Wait for a second opinion, then.

Dax

o

It is more likely to be spot anthracnose, Elsinoe corni, rather than full blown dogwood anthracnose (Discula destructiva). Much less severe or debilitating a disease - considered mostly cosmetic - and much more weather related. Very prevalent in wet, mild springs.

You will be able to confirm if you see no damage other than the spotty foliage - no tip/branch die back or overall weakening of the tree. And it may not appear next spring if weather conditions are significantly drier.

o

Thank you all! As for the second opinion, I've contacted the CCE in our county.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here