Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mail order m grandiflora Samuel Sommer

Posted by hardytropicalguy z6 SWMI (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 9:02

i am trying to find a mail order source for Samuel Sommer. i checked the likely sources that came to mind, Durios and Greer, and did some internet searches. Anyone have any ideas or know where i could possibly get a mail order Samuel Sommer? THANKS

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mail order m grandiflora Samuel Sommer

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 22, 13 at 17:26

If what you are after is the ovate leaf shape and other plant body features you can get those from 'Victoria'. If you are instead trying to see the oversize flower of 'Samuel Sommer' then you will have to get that one or another that produces jumbo flowers.

Have to wonder about the prospects for 'Samuel Sommer' in Michigan, even after you find one. It is not one of the more compact, snow resistant types like 'Saint Mary' or 'Victoria', and is perhaps not one of the most hardy either.

o

Thanks bboy for the info! i am going to try a few of the hardier cultivars here. I am going to find out which ones do best and get rid of (unless they die on their own) the rest. I am surprised no one has Samuel Sommer if I find one I will post a followup here.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 23, 13 at 0:45

Gossler Farms online catalog has about 4 kinds.

o

I received a msg from Geoff at Greer Gardens they may be offering Samuel Sommer this fall on their listings some time after September. In case anyone else is or has been searching for this Magnolia grandiflora cv. This is the best lead yet.

Here is a link that might be useful: greer gardens

o

I have a M.g.'Samuel Sommer'. My tree is about 25 years old and is roughly 30' by 10'. It is strongly upright and very open. It has large blossoms, but they were larger when the tree was younger. The foliage is very glossy, reddish backed with a interesting yellow midrib. The tree presents a very open, somewhat gaunt appearance, unlike any other M.g. I've seen.

Years ago the tree was touted to be very hardy, as it supposedly withstood -12F in Georgia. My tree has endured -21F in TN with no damage to wood and cosmetic damage to the leaves. How it would take the frozen ground and extended winters of MI is anyones guess.

Incidentally the vast majority of this magnolia in Google Images are not 'Samuel Sommer'.

If anyone would like to try propagation from cuttings I can supply a few at the appropriate time. Email me at kentreesatdtccomdotnet. Change the 'at' and 'dot' of course.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here