Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
funyellow

What's wrong with my Magnolia?

funyellow
9 years ago

I have what i believe is a saucer magnolia that is at least 15 years old. It's always been quite prolific - tons of flowers, and the leaves have always been enormous, like a tropical plant! and the thing grows like a weed, it requires a lot of pruning! It's been a great 'screen' for us in the summer as it shields our front bay window and allows us to have privacy without ever having to close our curtains. So in short, it's been a great tree with no problems.

However, this year, it flowered as normal, and started to leaf out, but the leaves have all stopped developing. Normally by end of May I have giant leaves the size of my hand, but it's late June and the leaves are no bigger than the leaves on my rose of sharon. It just seems to have stopped developing completely.

This year in my area (Massachusetts) we had a very late spring so things started developing later than normal, but right now every other tree (including similar magnolias) in my neighborhood have been fully developed for quite some time.

I checked the tree and there does not appear to be any pests - leaves are all fine with no spots, pests or browning. The tree is not dropping leaves at all. It just looks very odd because it is the one tree that seems stunted in growth.

Does anyone have any ideas what the issue could be? if you need a pic I could post one.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?