Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tapping sugar maple in Florida

Posted by Debbie1213 7a Florida (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 22, 14 at 9:19

I would like to tap our sugar maple which has been leaking sap for a couple of years now. My question is can this be done in Florida and when should it be done?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tapping sugar maple in Florida

Maple syrup season generally begins in late winter and runs through early spring. Winter weather is the key. The best time to tap trees for sap is on days when the temperature is below freezing at night and above 40 degrees in the daytime.

I don’t know how far south you can do this because it has to get below freezing at night for a period of time. And you need a mighty big lot of sap (as in more than one tree and many gallons) to boil down to get a very small amount of syrup.

But you'll need a tap (spile) and a bucket to hang on the spile for sap collection.. in addition to the right weather for the sap to "run".

o

Your zone is listed as 7a. Are you sure you're in Florida? ;)

o

In Florida, the only "sugar maple" that would grow well for any length of time is the Southern Sugar Maple, Acer floridanum (AKA Acer barbatum AKA Acer saccharum var floridanum).

While it technically can be tapped, it's a function of climate rather than species - most North American maples *can* be tapped, if the weather is right. If I planted a Southern Sugar Maple here in MD - I could probably get some sap flow from it in January and early February, which is when the few people tapping maples in my area would do it. A "regular" sugar maple would do the same thing here as would red or silver maple.

It takes freezing nights and above freezing days to make the sap flow.

I doubt you could get much, if any, sap to flow in Florida unless you had a record-setting cold winter.

o

It is not just a matter of sap flow. Once a tree starts to bud it greatly affects the flavor of the syrup.

tj

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here