Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tree_two_one

Yoshino Cherry Blossom?

Tree_Two_One
10 years ago

Hi GW,
I'd really like some help on determining 'which' Cherry Blossom this is. I also would like to know if it's 'staked' correctly.

We bought it from Lowes about two - three months ago and it's been spreading pretty good.

I'm not sure what to do about these nice little beetles eating it up though? Grrrrrr (I will upload the eaten leaf photo)

It's planted in our front yard about 30 - 40 feet from the home.
Thank you all so much.

Comments (6)

• Tree_Two_One
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's the close up of some damage by the beetles, I'm not sure what to use as I don't want to hurt the tree at this stage.

Oh not sure what my 'zone' is but i'm in Eastern NC.

Thanks for your help.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

Your question is a little confusing......:-) Was this tree tagged as a Yoshino cherry? If so, do you have reason to question that ? 'Yoshino' is a cultivar of Prunus x yedoensis, so if labeled as such a very good chance that's exactly what it is. Otherwise, the vast majority of flowering cherries are best identified when they are in bloom, as the flowers are their primary distinguishing characteristic.

Have you seen actual beetles on this tree? Japanese beetles can certainly cause damage but they would skeletonize the leaves rather than leaving the smaller holes and dead tissue behind. I'd suspect some smaller, larval type of insect. Look for tiny little worms/caterpillars crawling around, especially on the back side of the leaves . These can easily be dispatched by hosing down the tree or applying insecticidal soap. If you opt for the insecticidal soap, apply very early or very late (soon after daybreak or at dusk) to reduce any possibility of additional foliage damage.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

does the new growth.. at the tip of the branches show any damage ...

if the newest.. most tender stuff.. is not damaged.. your pest may be long gone ...

NEVER treat.. unless you can see.. ID.. what you are treating ... then ID it.. then use the appropriate remedy .. IF NEEDED ..

and frankly.. a little leaf damage is NOT a reason to treat a TREE ...

though.. if they are denuding the whole tree.. MAYBE that would be a reason.. but even so.. the pest will leave.. and most times.. the tree will simply leaf back out.. presuming it isnt some stressed recent transplant ... but that rarely if ever happens ...

if you see nothing during the day.. go out at night.. and see if you can find the culprit ..

ken

• Tree_Two_One
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey GW,
    Thanks for the answers, @Gardengal48 Yes the tag said Yoshino Cherry so I guess were good (I just didn't know they started it out like this)

@Ken Thanks I waited and found the eater/s I saw the beetles (in clusters on the leafs) and ants up and down the tree (not a gross number of them but they are present)

I've included some photos which might help.

Thanks

• Tree_Two_One
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The ends of the branches seem okay at this point.
    I need to read up on how to post more than one pix at a time.

• Tree_Two_One
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah they are pretty much working there way around the tree slowly it seems.