Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canby Oak Bleeding Sap

Posted by bjb817 8 TX (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 16, 14 at 9:31

I planted this 15 gal Canby Oak early this spring and it started off just fine, putting on about a foot of new growth.

I just noticed that it's bleeding a good amount of sap from a small opening where a branch was cut off. It's only coming from this one opening.

Anyone have any ideas on what's causing it and how to stop it? I'm afraid it's an invitation for pests as it stands.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canby Oak Bleeding Sap

wrap it with foil. foil is a great callousing generator.

Dax

o

It's probably a borer. I would not do anything special. Just keep the tree watered during dry periods. You could use Bayer Tree and Shrub systemic insecticide if it gets any worse.

o

I am likely wrong, but I had an oak with Slime Flux a frothy wet sappy goo come out. The problem went away itself. You can see holes from borers, I am guessing. Any holes with sawdust coming out.

o

No holes. I looked at it this am and it wasn't "bleeding", so I guess it's just a sporadic thing.

Would it be of any value to put a dab or pruning paint on it?

o

put aluminum foil around "the branch you cut off as you say" and tie it in place with plant tape, string, etc-. Believe me, I know precisely what I'm talking about.

You can do the same for wounds on trees from deer, rabbits, or pruning mistakes where you cut off a branch thus resulting in tearing the bark off the trunk of a tree. It doesn't matter what caused the injury or clean cut, i.e., pruning, the foil prohibits sunlight and heat and allows a wound to callous properly.

don't use pruning sealer. it's not recommended anymore within all horticultural practices with the exception of using it for grafting trees.

Dax

o

I'm curious where you bought the tree? It's a great tree for north TX. My largest one is about 35'.

o

Luckily, it's stopped bleeding now. If it starts in again, I may have to try the tin foil trick.

Dricha- I bought the tree at a place called River Road Nursery in New Braunfels. I read about and wanted to try trees grown with the rootmaker system as I read overall positive things about it online. In addition to the Canby Oak, I got a couple of Monterrey Oaks and some Crape Myrtles there as well. The jury's still out if the rootmaker system is all that or not IMO.

Someone in my old neighborhood had a Canby Oak that was probably about 25' tall and a very attractive tree. That was my inspiration to try one, so to speak. I didn't realize they grew in N. TX. You learn something new every day!

o

Lone Star growers in San Antonio use to sell them back in the 80's and 90's. They convinced one of the cities to try them back in 1980 if I'm not mistaken. I know of three large ones in various places here.

o

Well, some time has passed since I last posted on this. There hadn't been any more bleeding happening until this morning. Boy, did the thing ever make up for lost time though. Bleeding from multiple locations this time. There was actually beads of sap dripping out of the top most spot.

I may have to bite the bullet and get an arborist out here to take a look to figure out what to do. If this is something that'll affect the long term heath of the tree, I'd rather pull the plug now than wait five years just to have it die and THEN start over again...

I thought I'd see if any of the rest of you have any thoughts on it first.

o

I didn't try the tin foil since the problem seemed to have stopped BTW. I'm concerned this may be a bigger problem than one wound now though...

o

Bump.

No takers?

o

There you are...I'm still feeling the same. Use the Bayer Tree and shrub if it does not go away. I think the tree will be fine. At least you've got your eye on it. Let us know.....

o

So I had an arborist treat it with a fungicide a few days back, suspecting that may be the issue.

I was googling "trees bleeding sap" last night and I think there's a very good chance it's actually Bacterial Wet Wood. In some ways, that's more disturbing since it looks like there's no cure.

Has anyone dealt with this in a young tree? I'm pretty much resigned to replacing it once it cools off a little bit this fall. I'm just concerned that if this crap is in the soil, any tree I plant will get it. It's also looking like the two Monterrey Oaks I planted in the backyard are getting it too. Needless to say, I'm very frustrated as this is the fourth house that I've planted Monterrey Oaks at and they've always done well for me up until now.

Needing some encouragement here...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here