Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
my new Eucalyptus deglupta (Rainbow Eucalyptus)

Posted by boom1 10b (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 28, 09 at 9:35

I'm 6'1

ill take more pics of it and post it here every few months. it grows up to 15 feet a year.

they can grow up to 200 feet native but here in South Florida it should get around 100 feet.

some pics of full grown trees

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: my new Eucalyptus deglupta (Rainbow Eucalyptus)

Yeah, I've seen groves on Maui and other spots in Hawaii; very cool tree. Where did you get it? I tried it in Sacramento but failed; too cold but now I live in the Peoples' Republic of Berkeley where, it seems, one can grow anything. I'm hoping to give it another try.

F

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 28, 09 at 14:31

I too have seen it in Hawaii, would definitely plant it if I lived there.

Sunset WESTERN GARDEN BOOK (2007, Sunset Publishing, Menlo Park) says it's hardy to 24F to 26F/-4C to -2C:

Fast-growing, erect tree from jungles of Indonesia, Philippines, New Guinea. Trunk is the spectacular feature. Regular water

o

it is growing fast

didnt take too long to get situated

o

hmm, all my update posts were deleted, here goes

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

o

Never saw one of those until now. That's spectacular.

Many thanks,

Dax

o

Your rainbow looks great! Seems very healthy and robust. I can't believe all the growth in just under a year. How often do you water it during the dry season? Do you fertilize it with anything? I need some advice on how to make my rainbow look like that. It is in a container for now (no land to plant in, so unfortunately not an option).

o

Have you seen the big one at Fairchild Tropical Gardens in Miami? It is quite nice.

I have one here in Gainesville that has nice bark and is flowering - in a pot. It is too cold here in winter for them. I tried once and it died by November.

They do grow fast and need moisture year around. I keep mine well watered and fertilize every 2 weeks in summer with a typical liquid fertilizer.

o

Mine doesn't look healthy or well. How does one post photos?

o

Photobucket

Photobucket

the color toned down a bit, i think the rain will promote growth and more colorful bark shedding

o
more

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

yesterday

Photobucket

Photobucket

a Tilandsia i mounted in its canopy
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Wow! Your rainbow is growing like crazy. I have managed to grow one out here in the AZ sun. It survived 115+ degree summer temps, it's about 6 feet tall now (it was 2 feet when I planted it in March). Yours looks much fuller but our bark colors are the same. Thanks for the pics!

o

o

Wow that tree is amazing! Do you know if it have a shallow root system like the Banyan Tree or deeper?

o

Thanks for this wonderful log. I imagine by now the tree is much much larger. Post new pictures when you can. It is really interesting for us to see the progression.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here