Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hairmetal4ever

Exclamation London Plane

hairmetal4ever
10 years ago

Anyone heard of this? Supposedly bred specifically for disease tolerance from Oriental Sycamore and resistant Platanus occidentalis.

I've seen the Schmidt factsheet but nobody actually selling it. I do like these trees, but they almost always look awful between anthracnose, and another disease that makes the leaves have a brownish cast in late summer...it seems the anthracnose resistant London Planes get this disease worse than the anthracnose-susceptible American Sycamores do.

Comments (21)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i have about 50 conifers on my TO DIE FOR LIST ... that are no were to be sold...

welcome to my world... lol

ken

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Although, an anthracnose-resistant pure P. occidentalis would be worth pursuing as well if you have the land for that humongous tree.

• aquilachrysaetos
    10 years ago

It`s heat that gives the leaves that brownish look. I have three planes and it`s the one with no buffer between it and hot asphalt that gets that toasted look and it's only on the side toward the pavement.

I also notice it's at the tail end of the hot weather that they get that way.

• calliope
    10 years ago

Ken................if you have an arboretum anywhere near enough to establish a visiting relationship with, it's a good place to start for those 'not in the trade' specimens. I have some so oddball, even our veteran plant inspector couldn't ID a ballpark guess on some of them. Our arboretum has a yearly plant sale where some rare ones are sold, and also classes like grafting where some rare ones are available as scion stock and professionals there to help you get a good graft onto more common rootstock.

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    10 years ago

Interesting. London planes must be in the news a bit. They are planting a couple hundred as an idiotic mono culture around the gateway arch as replacements for their last idiotic monoculture of ash.

Rant over.

I DO like the sycamore look. Little else like it in my area. There are a couple in the woods across from me otherwise I would have planted my own.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

They're all humongous. Too big for sidewalks and streets, and allergenic on top of it. Wonderful when big and out in a field.

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

I'm enjoying this cultivar so far. A bit slower growing in part sun.

I'm priming it to take over for the linden behind it.

{{gwi:368038}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Underneath the Sycamore

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Is that an 'Exclamation', whaas?

Have you seen any signs of anthracnose? Doesn't look like it in the pic, but I've found young, vigorous trees either don't get it as badly, or, are so vigorous they "outgrow" the infection faster than mature trees do.

• poaky1
    10 years ago

I have a London Plane. I had a Native Sycamore also, but it had been attacked by borers unfortunately. I don't know details about the London Plane I have, but if it wasn't more resistant to pests and disease, I would have planted our native Sycamore which gets WIDER, more shade, in other words. My London Plane looks good now, so I shouldn't complain, for now.

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

HM4E, it is an Exclamation. I wouldn't expect any disease issues at this point

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think the "rusty" overtone that some LP's get later in summer is a combo of powdery mildew and heat/drought stress upon further inspection.

Since 'Exclamation' is also mildew resistant, I'd expect it to have better looking foliage all around - whaas, is that your experience, so far?

Now that we're into October, how did your tree look from late summer until now? I wouldn't expect fall color from any Platanus (besides a weak yellow/brown at best), I mean the green foliage, did it hold up all summer?

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

He had some brown on the leaves here and there throughout the year, but its by far the driest spot in my yard....and its sandy to boot with western exposure.

I'll snap a pic if I remember.

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'd love to see it, whaas, I've always shyed away from Platanus despite the fact I love them - the P. occidentalis due to the horrible anthracnose most get here, and the P. x acerifolia due to the rusty appearance the leaves get in mid to late summer due to the combo of heat/dryness/mildew.

Most of the LP's around here have already mostly defoliated, while the American Sycamores are nice and healthy NOW, but due to springtime anthracnose, didn't look fully leafed out until almost July.

If this cultivar holds up at least reasonably well on both ends, I might consider it. FWIW almost ALL London Planes around here I believe are 'Bloodgood'.

Now I can't speak to the differences between MD and WI as far as leaf issues overall, but if your tree looks generally better than the Bloodgood LP would, then I'd probably give it a try.

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

Its still a young tree. Planted from 1 gallon in 2011.
    Its part shade and meant to take over for the linden in the background. I'd expect stronger growth once the linden is gone. This is by far the sandiest and driest site on my lot. It barely stays damp for a couple weeks.

This pic is from today. Keep in mind Ash, Sugar Maple and Box Elder are all nearly defoliated already.

{{gwi:368039}}

Here are some of the interior leaves showing drought damage.
    {{gwi:336570}}

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Looks pretty good, whaas. Better than the Bloodgoods around here.

I guess Lace Bugs are the other problem they can get sometimes.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

If it succeeds it will make the linden look like a twig. Elsewhere there are hybrid planes well over 100' tall with trunks 20'-30'+ around.

Including ones in the US.

• poaky1
    10 years ago

My London plane is turning tan on some leaves but isn't stand out UGLY. So I think London p-lane trees are not a bad choice of Platanus to grow. This my opinion, after growing this tree. {{gwi:368040}}

• poaky1
    10 years ago

The above tree is a London Plane no particular cultivar. It has been growing there for about 4 years, so it is a fast growing transplant so far. It has not dropped seed yet.

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

Not bad given the fact the majority of the trees in the background are leafless. As expected, nice shape.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

'Pyramidalis' is common in older plantings, shape is like that even when big.