Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chris209_gw

Apple Tree Pruning

Hi everyone,
I am new to fruit tree growing. I planted 2 apple trees at the back of my property 2 years ago; Liberty and William's Pride. I am a little unsure of how to proceed with the apple tree in the below picture (I forget which variety it is, but can find out if needed). Hopefully you can make out that there is some branching lower down, then a stretch with just leaves, then some new branching at the very top. It seems to me that this is a problem, but I'm not sure what the best thing to do would be. What do you think? Thank you for your suggestions.

{{gwi:368175}}

Comments (6)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    9 years ago

I could type out instructions for the next hour and you'd probably still have questions. The best place to start is to search the Fruit and Orchards Forum for the many, many previous threads on this topic. I'd be happy to answer specific questions, but there's just too much to re-cover in a single post. To start with, you're going to need to choose a pruning style (one of the various central-leader type methods, an open vase style, one of the various trellis system methods, etc, etc) that matches your situation/needs.

There are hundreds of articles about this online, many of which are from ag extension/university sources or from various fruit groups/societies. Another source that can pack a lot of info into a short time is the many YouTube videos on the topic.

After a search of at least ten to twelve sources, you should start to get a better idea of the scope of the information you need. Eventually, you'll get to the point that you have to go out and prune. Kind of like jumping into the pool for the first time, you will feel more comfortable once the initial hesitation is past.

• chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Brandon,
    Thanks for your input. I know what you mean about "initial hesitation". There's definitely a feeling like one wrong cut will ruin the tree. Don't get me wrong, I have done some slight pruning since planting the two trees. I have Michael Phillips books "The Apple Grower" and find it very useful, especially the illustrations, and have done research online and elsewhere. I guess my posting subject was little vague, since what I'm really wondering, specifically, is if I should remove the top little burst of growth and hope to encourage more branching along the leader? It just seems unbalanced/top heavy the way it's going. Or should I just leave it for now and see what it does?

Thanks,
    Chris

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

what he said ...

but lets start with what your goal is with this tree ...

my first goal.. is usually being able to walk under a tree.. without poking an eye out ...[actually its mowing at speed on the rider]

if you want that.. then you take off the lowest two or so branches ... and start training the tree up ...

the other side of the coin.. is that most orchards.. train their trees down [and bare in the middle].. to favor harvest ... but they end up with really.. really ugly trees ...

so to start.. define where you want to go ...

i grow some fruit.. mainly to say i can... i am not going to be spraying them the requisite 4 to 6 times a year.. to get grocery store perfect fruit .... so i really dont care if the fruit can be easily picked ... so up they go ...

and i usually get just enough ugly fruit.. to make the kids happy ... lol.. blotchy apples still make great pie ....

as brandon noted ... fruit peeps do it much different than tree peeps... and we will miss you if you end up over there... lol ...

ken

ps: i am using tree rules... for my eyes.. not fruit rules... if you didnt figure that out ...

• chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks guys! Good point about what my goal is with the tree. I guess I was hung up on the idea of one right way to do it, but obviously there are many right ways. Something to consider.

• chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks guys! Good point about what my goal is with the tree. I guess I was hung up on the idea of one right way to do it, but obviously there are many right ways. Something to consider.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

EXACTLY ... if you want to see the light at the end of the tunnel ...

make sure you are looking down the right tunnel ... lol.. and in the right direction ...

ken