Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What tree is this?

Posted by Eva-01 Ireland (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 20, 13 at 9:57

I am having problems figuring out what tree this is. Its seems to spread mostly by roots popping up (we started with one of them). With the way they grow they make a nice thing to walk under.

I highly doubt they are native to Ireland as I never see them anywhere. The leaf pattern is like ash but cant seem to find it via google.

Growth pattern: http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k323/dozyvan/2013-06-20143509_zpsa1164bc0.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What tree is this?

that link I posted seems to be broken for some reason? anyway

Here is a link that might be useful: link to growth pattern

o

compare with tree of heaven ...

a terrible weed tree here in the states ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 20, 13 at 11:56

Looks like Rhus glabra to me. Also known as Sumac. Nice Fall color and spreads by it's roots.
Mike

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 20, 13 at 12:16

Rhus typhina, I can see the fuzz in the leaf etc. picture that opens here on this thread.

o

I am currently fighting back some fu fu yellow and pink sumac I planted a few years back. If the regular species spreads anywhere near as well in Ireland I woukd consider removal and repeated round-up applications or whatever is used out there.

FWIW I really liked the appearance of mine. It just grew too well and more informal than the location called for.

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 20, 13 at 15:11

You're right, bboy. I didn't look at it close enough.
I had one, or should I say, I still have it after half hearted fighting it for years. Just when I think I have won, it pops up yards away from the roots. A bit of a nuisance.
Mike

o

They are pretty common in gardens over here, mostly rhus glabra but also rhus typhina even if that one is less cold hardy. "laciniata"-forms is also common. They do send some runners up, but it is worth the extra work to have these almost tropical looking small trees

o

They look really like tree of heaven but they are native. They grow in clusters in Wisconsin.

o

I only see a vague resemblance to tree-of-heaven (Ailanthus altissima). If you are familiar with trees-of-heaven, there's no way you'd mistake the picture above for one of them.

o

Rhus typhina is very common in gardens throughout the British Isles. Rhus glabra less so and often in the 'laciniata' form. The fuzz points to the former.

T of H does self sow here but usually in warmer urban microclimates. It is visible along the rail tracks in London. But it is nothing like the plague it is in the US.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ailanthus distribution in Britain and Ireland

o

• Posted by beng z6 western MD (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 22, 13 at 9:11

Looks like sumac, not ailanthus. Ailanthus has a gland-dot near the leaflet bases -- the pictured one doesn't.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here