Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eva_01

What tree is this?

Eva-01
10 years ago

I am having problems figuring out what tree this is. Its seems to spread mostly by roots popping up (we started with one of them). With the way they grow they make a nice thing to walk under.

I highly doubt they are native to Ireland as I never see them anywhere. The leaf pattern is like ash but cant seem to find it via google.

Growth pattern: http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k323/dozyvan/2013-06-20143509_zpsa1164bc0.jpg

Comments (11)

• Eva-01
    Original Author
    10 years ago

that link I posted seems to be broken for some reason? anyway

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:368245}}

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

compare with tree of heaven ...

a terrible weed tree here in the states ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• botann
    10 years ago

Looks like Rhus glabra to me. Also known as Sumac. Nice Fall color and spreads by it's roots.
    Mike

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Rhus typhina, I can see the fuzz in the leaf etc. picture that opens here on this thread.

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    10 years ago

I am currently fighting back some fu fu yellow and pink sumac I planted a few years back. If the regular species spreads anywhere near as well in Ireland I woukd consider removal and repeated round-up applications or whatever is used out there.

FWIW I really liked the appearance of mine. It just grew too well and more informal than the location called for.

• botann
    10 years ago

You're right, bboy. I didn't look at it close enough.
    I had one, or should I say, I still have it after half hearted fighting it for years. Just when I think I have won, it pops up yards away from the roots. A bit of a nuisance.
    Mike

• Huggorm
    10 years ago

They are pretty common in gardens over here, mostly rhus glabra but also rhus typhina even if that one is less cold hardy. "laciniata"-forms is also common. They do send some runners up, but it is worth the extra work to have these almost tropical looking small trees

• jujujojo_gw
    10 years ago

They look really like tree of heaven but they are native. They grow in clusters in Wisconsin.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

I only see a vague resemblance to tree-of-heaven (Ailanthus altissima). If you are familiar with trees-of-heaven, there's no way you'd mistake the picture above for one of them.

• flora_uk
    10 years ago

Rhus typhina is very common in gardens throughout the British Isles. Rhus glabra less so and often in the 'laciniata' form. The fuzz points to the former.

T of H does self sow here but usually in warmer urban microclimates. It is visible along the rail tracks in London. But it is nothing like the plague it is in the US.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ailanthus distribution in Britain and Ireland

• bengz6westmd
    10 years ago

Looks like sumac, not ailanthus. Ailanthus has a gland-dot near the leaflet bases -- the pictured one doesn't.