Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jtjjdc

Crimson King Maple and Purple Locust Tree questions

jtjjdc
10 years ago

I have two trees that I am having problems with. First one is a Crimson King Norway Maple about 8 feet which is planted in a very protected spot with a high fence sheltering it from north and east winds. (easily, a zone 4 area) Two years old. Did very well last year until it got hailed later in the summer which hurt it badly. This year, all the branches have no growth on them except one that leafed out and looks very healthy. From the bottom, there are various shoots are growing. It has two spots on the main truck that the bark was missing and something painted on it (came that way) and now there are a couple of spots that the bark has split open (new) Is there any hope for this tree or is dying a slow painful death? What could I do to help it, if there is any hope for it? Can anything be done to save it? It's a beautiful tree.
The second tree is Purple Locust about 5 ft tall. Planted last year. No buds or leaves on it. Shoots coming from the bottom. Any hope? Should it just be pulled out or can the truck be cut off and left to grow from the bottom? Planted in a windy, exposed area. (zone 3 area)
Thanks for any input--it is greatly appreciated!

Comment (1)