Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
best time to transplant red oak seedling?

Posted by hairmetal4ever Z7 MD (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 5, 08 at 10:27

I have a Red Oak seedling that has sprouted up near my house. This is its third season judging from the looks of the stem, and is already almost 5 feet tall, it's a vigorous little thing.

At first I thought I'd just rip it out, but it's a good looking little tree, and I'd like to move it to somewhere it can grow. Would moving it in fall when the leaves drop be the best time in Maryland? Any tips/suggestions on moving it safely?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: best time to transplant red oak seedling?

Yes, fall would be best. Water it thoroughly before you move it to make sure it is easier to dig in the area. Expect to go deep.

Get the new hole ready in advance so the plant doesn't sit out during the process.

o

Do I need to wait till leaf fall or just at the point they are showing leaf color?

I've always assumed that once a trees leaves have started to show color that it's already essentially dormant anyway, is that true?

o

I start transplanting red oak when leaves turn red,the tree is dormant enough.I hope you are prepared for one heck of a tap root on that oak.I have transplanted some oaks that size in the past,but you can do alot of damage to the roots digging a tree that size.
I would try to dig as much of the tap root as possible,if you have to cut the tap root use a sharp knife.
Mulch and water after planting,be sure to water all fall, until you either it gets enough rain or the ground starts to freeze.You do not want ground to wet before it freezes,this could cause root damage.

o

I think after 5 years its more than a seedling. I transplanted a true Northern Red Oak seedling in Mid-april and it just started pushing out its second flush of leaves! I think yours would be best transplanted in the fall. Just dig as deep and wide as possible. Good luck!

o

jqpublic

Wow your growing season is that far ahead of ours?In eastern WI the 2nd push of new growth on red oak will not come until mid to late june,if we have enough rain.
Maybe my advice about freezeing does'nt mean much.How deep does your ground freeze in zone7?

lp

o

What, you mean the ground actually still freezes somewhere? I can remember back years ago when it would freeze about 12" deep around here. Those days are gone. I bet it hasn't frozen more than a couple of inches in years.

o

Yep, no freeze here in Georgia that I know of!

o

It might freeze this winter if patterns continue...the last three months have shown a decisive trend towards the colder, that mimicks 1982-1985, which is the last time this happened...

o

Not here :( 98 today. Tomorrow 100...sunday 100!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here