Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Redbud split trunk

Posted by bobrahm OK (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 28, 09 at 11:06

An old redbud has a split trunk. Most of what I've read suggests bringing the two sides together with non-corroding screws, and using cables attached to eyebolts which are tapped in to or drilled through the offending limbs to provide ongoing structural support. As I understand the core of the tree to be dormant, and to avoid creating an area for the harboring of fungal, bacterial, or insect problems, what would be the downside to using an non-toxic glue (such as Elmers, or others if you have a suggestion) to seal the split and provide additional structural support?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Redbud split trunk

what i did in similar circs.. was to buy a new tree.. and plant it near, but not close to the old one ... they are not expensive trees ... and they are rather fast growing ...

i then proceeded over the next 8 years.. to watch to older one start dying .. branch by branch.. and then eventually right down the split trunk.. until all that is left is the rotting sawn off stump ...

personally.. i do not believe in the hardware solution to a broken or dying tree .... nor the application of goos nor paints to aid in healing.. everything you dream up is contrary to mother nature.. and in my case.. not worth the cost nor the labor ...

if you like fooling around with this kind of stuff.. all the power to you ... knock yourself out... but think hard about investing $20 in a new tree [mail order in fall at the proper planting time] ... for the future ....

good luck

ken

o
RE: Redbud split trunk

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 29, 09 at 9:15

I'm definitely with Ken on this. It's time to plant a replacement.

I think the glue is more likely to cause problems than to solve any. Any type of sealant applied to tree wounds just adds to the problem.

Either remove the tree, plant a well-branched (with proper crotch angles) replacement, and keep an eye out for future poor crotch angles, OR, do as Ken suggests and plant the replacement nearby to take over once the original tree has to be removed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here