Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bgbtoronto

Choosing an Oak tree

bgbtoronto
10 years ago

Hi there, I am deciding between a Red Oak, White Oak or English Oak for the corner of my backyard. Currently there is an ailing Ash tree due to the EAB. It will be taken down soon and I would like to replace it with an Oak. There is more than enough space for a massive tree to develop.

What are the pro's and con's of each of these trees?

Thanks

Comments (7)

• greenthumbzdude
    10 years ago

have you considered the hybrids....sometimes they are much better than the species, for example saul oak. Red oak and white oak are good choices..I would skip the English oak....they tend to have issues.

• brad_s
    10 years ago

I'm with the previous posters in that I'd avoid the English Oak for the reasons that they sited. Also, on the grounds of personal philosophy in that I'd use trees native to my area.

White Oak (Q.Alba) is my favorite, but the biggest caveat with them is that they cannot stand to have their root zones trampled too much. You may do a good job in avoiding this, but if the tree is close to your lot line, then you do not have control over what your neighbors do.

Red Oak (Q.Rubra) is a good choice too though. Nice fall color, grows rather quickly, and has a more predictable growth pattern.

Good choices, best wishes to you!

Brad N.IL/Z5

• drrich2
    10 years ago

Not familiar with what grows in your zone, so will speak about oaks generally.

It's said red oaks tend to grow faster than white oaks.

Some oaks keep some of their dead leaves through part of winter, which some people like and some don't. Pin Oak and Shumard Oak do this. Nutall Oak and Swamp White Oak do not. Others I'm not too sure.

Pin Oak tend to send branches down toward the ground, and are prone to chlorosis in higher pH soils.

Is your planting site particularly dry or wet? Any idea of pH?

Richard.

• bgbtoronto
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your input. I think I am leaning more towards the White Oak, saw one last weekend and found it to be beautiful! Red Oaks are very popular and I don't see very many White ones. The location abuts the two rear corners of each of my neighbors yards that are definitely not high traffic! So I think I will be good :). I understand the growth rate is slower but I think the White Oak has a prettier form.

I won't even consider a Pin Oak. Had one in our front yard 13 years ago planted by the previous owners that was starting to die when we moved in(due to chlorosis), and continued to die for another 6 years before we had it removed. I also see a bunch of them all over suffering. Toronto soil does not seem to be a good match for them.

Thanks for the input!

• drrich2
    10 years ago

"The location abuts the two rear corners of each of my neighbors yards that are definitely not high traffic!"

I don't know your specific situation, or your (and your neighbors') view(s) on the issue of planting a large tree near a property line.

The bigger the tree, the further over their property the canopy will eventually extend.

Don't know whether that's a potential issue, but thought I'd mention it. White oak can get quite large.

Richard.

• bgbtoronto
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Richard, I understand that the tree will get quite large. My neighbors won't mind. Well the one might, but they are an old couple, by the time they move out, the tree will not be that large... My other neighbor loves his garden and is sad that we have to remove the dying Ash. We informed him of our plans to plant an Oak and he liked the idea! He has a massive yard! Thanks for the concern :)