Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hardytropicalguy

mystery Quercus identification

hardytropicalguy
10 years ago

This Oak came in with a shipment of B and B oaks in tn and i would like to see if anyone has an ID for it. Thanks Gardenweb

{{gwi:369266}}

{{gwi:369267}}

{{gwi:369268}}

Comments (10)

• j0nd03
    10 years ago

Leaves look like a variation of the local q falcata. They are also slightly reminiscent of some q marilandica but this is a tree that is very uncommon in the nursery trade.

Q pagoda can have very similar leaf morphology to q falcata and has bark similar to cherry. One of those two would be my best guess!

What a mystery indeed. Can't wait till the experts chime in with their ID's

John

• hardytropicalguy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks john my brother and i are amature/professional horticulturists and it is not very common for both of us to be stumped I hope more members chime in on this one. AND you seem pretty expert on your oaks to me!

• j0nd03
    10 years ago

Haha, thanks :-)

I will say I have some q falcata with identical leaves to your tree but the bark on mine is quite a bit different and becomes very ridged/furrowed on the lower portion of the trunk at a similar caliper as the one you have shown as well as being much darker in color. Is there any way you could remove the wrap around the lower trunk and post a pic? I wonder if some of my trees with this anomalous leaf morphology are actually q falcata x marilandica hybrids.

The 90* branch emergence on your tree is also in line with q marilandica branch crotches.

What oak trees did you order that included this one?

This post was edited by j0nd03 on Tue, Jun 11, 13 at 14:28

• hardytropicalguy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hmm my brother says it came in a shipment of Q pagoda but the leaves on this tree are clearly different from the other trees. So maybe it IS just Q pagoda? :0)

• j0nd03
    10 years ago

It very well could be!

Does the bark on your mystery tree look similar to the other trees in the order with more typical leaf morphology of the species?

This post was edited by j0nd03 on Tue, Jun 11, 13 at 17:15

• hardytropicalguy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The bark is different from the other trees in the order. We are wondering if these may have been seed grown at the nursery and if this tree may be some sort of hybrid as you suggested. Oh and by the way I am in SW MI and the mystery tree is S of nashville at a big commercial landscape company. I am not sure whether or not this tree is earmarked for a job or not yet. Usually they order on a need be basis so it is probably destined for some commercial planting in the nashville or murfreesboro area.

• lucky_p
    10 years ago

could be a hybrid, but also look at Cherrybark oak - Q.falcata var. pagodifolia.

• bengz6westmd
    10 years ago

Just looking at the bark -- it does look like black cherry bark.

• salicaceae
    10 years ago

Definitely Q. falcata. I have many on my property.

• j0nd03
    10 years ago

Lucky_p, I thought cherrybark oak was given species status. Is it still considered a subs. in some circles? The mature bark is so different from falcata...

John