Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Corkscrew Hazelnut Tree

Posted by erikarn (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 11:41

Does anyone have a recommendation of where I can purchase a Corkscrew hazelnut tree from an online nursery? They are supposed to be hardy through zone 8. I believe the proper name is Corylus Avellana Contorta. I am having much difficulty finding a place to purchase in Dallas, TX area. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Corkscrew Hazelnut Tree

Here's a purple leaf version from a very good nursery.

Dax

Here is a link that might be useful: CORYLUS AVELLANA 'RED DRAGON': Klehm's Song Sparrow

o

Will Corylus avellana be happy in Dallas?

o

they are also prone to some disease.. the name of which i forgot.. when it killed my 10 year old plant ...

ken

o

European hazels are generally susceptible to Eastern Filbert Blight (EFB).

o

thx corky .... is this one European???

mine was sold as harry lauders walking stick ... and i had it.. long before i learned the latin.. which sure helps using search engines ...

a second issue with HLWS was that they can sucker wildly ... and they all will.. eventually .... and many that do.. are not grafted on contorted understock .... so you ended up it straight pieces growing like mad.. up thru the corkscrew plant .. though mine got the disease.. its suckers were also corkscrew.... win some.. lose some ...

ken

o

"Will Corylus avellana be happy in Dallas?"
I would try it in quite deep shade, I don't think it will stand the Texas sun. After all it's a understory bush for a cool summer climate.

o

C. avellana is European Hazel. I think walking stick is a cultivar 'Contorta'. There is some work being done to create resistant Eur. hybrids, but I BELIEVE walking sticks are all susceptible.

http://gardening-time.blogspot.com/2012/08/eastern-filbert-blight.html#!/2012/08/eastern-filbert-blight.html

Alternately, you can try stuff like Turkish hazel which is supposedly more resistant. It also doesn't sucker and is a true tree.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here