Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lucillle

Mulberry Tree

lucillle
10 years ago

I moved in to this house a couple years ago. The front yard has a mulberry tree in the front yard about 6 feet from the fence line. I enjoyed the mulberries, meant to make a pie but somehow the berries got eaten before pie making time lol. The birds and squirrels liked the mulberries as well.
The tree was overgrown so I cut it way back. I've heard that one is not supposed to cut tree limbs way back but I did because it was overgrown and unsightly. It sprang back and the (canopy?) is now dense, about 12x12 and very pretty.
I'm thinking that by the end of the season it will be larger but even so if it retains its present shape it will be a nice looking tree.
I do not want it to hang over the neighbor's yard too much.
I do not know what kind of mulberry it is, I've heard there is a smaller one in Texas but do not know if the one I have is that kind.
Is there anyone who has experience with mulberry trees?

Comments (14)

• lisanti07028
    10 years ago

Some of us like mulberry trees and some of us can't stand them, but it really depends on what type you've got - native or invasive alien. Could you post a picture of the tree, including a close-up of the leaves?

• lucillle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've been here two years and there is nothing to show that it is invasive. No sprouts, no runners, no suckers from the base.

This post was edited by lucille on Sat, Jun 15, 13 at 20:59

• lucillle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I did some reading and do not want one of those invasive trees. I took some pictures, please tell me what kind of mulberry I have:

• lucillle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And here is a leaf picture:

• lucillle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've been checking out discussions on various sites and it seems as if it is difficult to distinguish the different kinds of mulberries. I certainly don't want to cut down a tree that gave me a bunch of delicious mulberries, but do not want an invasive plant.

• bengz6westmd
    10 years ago

Are the leaf-tops fuzzy/scratchy? If so, could be a hybrid red X white mulberry. Otherwise I'd guess the invasive white.

• lucillle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The leaf tops are fuzzy, you can't see the fuzz but you can feel something. However I thought I read that the desirable red mulberry has fuzzy undersides?

• bengz6westmd
    10 years ago

lucille, you're right. So it may be the hybrid -- invasive white mulberries are so common that pure red mulberries are getting rare. That said, the hybrid is prb'ly more desirable than white & usually produces a tastier mulberry than white.

I looked at red mulberry's native range & it does extend into Houston.

• lucillle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Is there any way to predict the size of a hybrid tree like this, if that is what it is?

• bengz6westmd
    10 years ago

Pretty big, eventually. But no bigger than most other common trees. Mulberries typically spread out a fair bit without competition. Guessing 30' wide & tall after 15-20 yrs.

In fact, the visible trees on the other side of the road in your first pic look similar to how it would grow after 30 yrs or so.

This post was edited by beng on Tue, Jun 18, 13 at 11:15

• bengz6westmd
    10 years ago

Oh, and below is what I'm sure is a red-white hybrid -- there was a pure red nearby. Leaves were fuzzy on top & look similar to yours:

• lucillle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Beng for the info and the picture. I think I feel better about keeping it. I'm glad to hear it will get bigger since I want it to help the other trees on my property shade sun off my house. It looks like it will spread its branches over the neighbor's yard but from what I have read he can trim them back to the property line if he wants to, I don't have to do it.

• lucky_p
    10 years ago

Looks like a probable hybrid to me, as well - but might be a pure M.rubra. Especially among the hybrids, there's quite a bit of variation, with regard to which parental traits are expressed.
    I've got one local selection that I'd been propagating as a rubra - but a guy in LA who's doing some breeding & selection with mulberries says it's a hybrid. Good berries, nonetheless.
    One disappointment, however, is that M.alba and the hybrids are susceptible to 'popcorn disease', which some years may virtually render all the berries inedible.

Here is a link that might be useful: Popcorn Disease of Mulberries

• lucillle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That is an ugly disease. It looks like not all of the individual fruit is ruined so at least the birds and the (sigh) squirrels will be fed if the tree gets this disease.
    I want a nice pie next year so I hope my tree won't get the disease, is there anything I can do to ward it off?