Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Arborist's question about Cottonwoods

Posted by runswithscissors MT 4/5 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 14, 14 at 12:02

Years ago, when I first bought my home, the next door neighbor had a nice 2 acre row of mature cottonwood trees running down our fenceline. They were BEAUTIFUL! (and all the millions of little sucker babies popping up on my side of the fence was a pain in the tush.) But I never complained because I honestly loved the trees. For three years I seeded a wildflower garden down my side of the fenceline, because the neighbors basically allowed that area of their yard to "go native" so to combat the weeds, I had to do something. The trees were on the north side of the my flower garden strip, about 30 feet away and provided no shade whatsoever. For three years this was an absolutely gorgeous strip of color!!

Then one day I came home to discover the neighbor had hired a crew to saw down the entire tree line. I was very sad, but it wasn't really any of my business.

Since then all the flowers and even most of the weeds have died out down my side of the fenceline. I know the men poured roundup on the cottonwood stumps...one of them secretly told me they pour diesel fuel on them too.

It's weird. I keep scattering wildflower seeds and none of them grow. I hand weed out the cheet grass and knapweed that encroaches from the other side, but it's not a problem at all. Even that stuff doesn't seem to want to take hold! Oddly the weeds and grasses are still growing fine all around the stumps, but 30 feet away in my flower garden, the soil is bare-dead.

What do you think about this problem?

*I still get an occasional sucker baby popping up now and then, but not many and always 100 or more feet away from the mother tree.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Arborist's question about Cottonwoods

one thing for sure.. it has nothing to do with the round up ...

how do you prep the soil for seed????

whats the source of the wildflower seed?? .. have you ever tested it for viability ... when are you sowing it????

if you think about them growing in the wild.. most self sow in fall .. in fact.. you are supposed to mow down a wildflower garden in fall.. to achieve such ... so if you are doing it in spring.. maybe thats an issue?????

how about a pic ...

all i remember about sowing wildflower seeds ... was it was a PIA ... and never truly gratifying ... and then i moved to 5 acres.. former horse pasture.. dont mow one acre ... and declared it a wildflower garden ... lol ... its gorgeous ... lol .. and i do mow it down in fall ...

have you considered winter sowing and sticking in small transplants .. to get he ball rolling ???

ken

ps: i would think at 100 feet .... its a poplar seedling.. rather than a sucker .... unless you are sure .. its attached to an old root????

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 14, 14 at 19:04

Does your state agriculture agency offer soil tests? Might be worth it.

o

all state ag colleges offer such.. and they are usually the college that has STATE in the name ... its the basis of their founding ...

regardless .... wild flowers that cant live in native soil????

you would be better off.. analyzing the wildflower mix.. and insuring it appropriate to MT ....

my MI soil conservation office.. offers wildflower seed.. if i am not mistaken ... google such for MT ...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here